Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   locker completed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/locker-completed-244419.html)

jeremyx28 05-22-2013 05:00 PM

locker completed
 
So I just got done putting a lock right in my front Dana 30 axle. The job itself really isn't that hard to anyone else considering it. I lost like 6 hours trying to get the carrier out not knowing the passenger side is a split axle. A friend came over and figured that out for me and got the carrier out in less then 10 minutes. Putting the locker itself in is pretty self explanatory, just follow the directions and use some grease to hold it all together. I just went for a quick test drive up this short trail that's not really that difficult to begin with, but I'll tell you my jeep ran up that hill when it usually jogs. I can't wait till this weekend when I can go really try the locker out on some more intense terrain.

theYeti 05-22-2013 06:05 PM

How was it on the road? Automatic locker? Could you hear it?

indirocz28 05-22-2013 06:08 PM

When in 2wd you will not notice the front locker, however in 4wd when turning you should hear the locker ratcheting.

jeremyx28 05-22-2013 06:19 PM

I didn't hear anything in 2 wheel drive on the road. Its a lunch box locker I believe. When I was in 4 wheel drive messing around in my driveway I heard it ratcheting and found it really wanting to go straight. I left tire marks on the concrete when turning. When I got it off road, wow you can feel the pull! I can't wait to be able to really go "experiment"

YJ fanatic 05-22-2013 06:22 PM

79 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyx28 (Post 3783048)
I didn't hear anything in 2 wheel drive on the road. Its a lunch box locker I believe. When I was in 4 wheel drive messing around in my driveway I heard it ratcheting and found it really wanting to go straight. I left tire marks on the concrete when turning. When I got it off road, wow you can feel the pull! I can't wait to be able to really go "experiment"

That's what I found with the Aussie locker I put in a few weeks ago. Not noticeable on road, but amazing off road. I don't have to hit the skinny pedal near as much.

bajonesy77 05-22-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyx28 (Post 3782847)
So I just got done putting a lock right in my front Dana 30 axle. The job itself really isn't that hard to anyone else considering it. I lost like 6 hours trying to get the carrier out not knowing the passenger side is a split axle. A friend came over and figured that out for me and got the carrier out in less then 10 minutes. Putting the locker itself in is pretty self explanatory, just follow the directions and use some grease to hold it all together. I just went for a quick test drive up this short trail that's not really that difficult to begin with, but I'll tell you my jeep ran up that hill when it usually jogs. I can't wait till this weekend when I can go really try the locker out on some more intense terrain.

Good job on doing it yourself, even though you needed a little help. Working on your own jeep is how you learn and now your jeep is more capable because of it.:thumb:

indirocz28 05-22-2013 06:52 PM

^^^+ 10,000

ddferdt 05-22-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyx28 (Post 3782847)
So I just got done putting a lock right in my front Dana 30 axle. The job itself really isn't that hard to anyone else considering it. I lost like 6 hours trying to get the carrier out not knowing the passenger side is a split axle. A friend came over and figured that out for me and got the carrier out in less then 10 minutes. Putting the locker itself in is pretty self explanatory, just follow the directions and use some grease to hold it all together. I just went for a quick test drive up this short trail that's not really that difficult to begin with, but I'll tell you my jeep ran up that hill when it usually jogs. I can't wait till this weekend when I can go really try the locker out on some more intense terrain.

What kind of locker did you get? I was looking to do this myself

Gunz n tractorz 05-22-2013 08:56 PM

Anyone prefer spartan, Aussie, or lock rite over one another?

4Jeepn 05-22-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz n tractorz (Post 3783659)
Anyone prefer spartan, Aussie, or lock rite over one another?

I have run aussie, no problems and lock right no problems.... I looked at the spartan and they have a tire size restriction... so I passed...

Nubby55 05-22-2013 09:42 PM

nope my Spartan was on sale, that's why I got it.

jeremyx28 05-23-2013 06:34 AM

I got my lock rite on sale from rustys for $210. I thought at that price I couldn't pass it up. I was going to wait on getting a locker till next year but for 200 bucks I jumped on it lol.

indirocz28 05-23-2013 06:49 AM

Thats a good deal!
I have used Aussie in the past, and have friends that run lock-rites. They are essentially the same thing.

Gunz n tractorz 05-24-2013 02:42 PM

Any preference to put locker in front or rear and why?

GoldenSahara00 05-24-2013 02:51 PM

Locker the stronger axle, rear first if you can. Although I do enjoy the front locker and feel you can do more with a front locker if you know what you're doing, and can capitalize on drive skill much more.

OverkillYJ 05-24-2013 03:18 PM

For a daily driver I would suggest a posi rear and locked front, much better road manners. If you can afford a selectable locker for the rear that is ideal, and dont waste the time or money on the D35. I have a solid axle upfront with a Spartan and get occasional unloading and can hear it when on pavement turning tight. Nothing beats it offroad though. I have leaned not to turn the wheel all the way when turning now on pavement. One thing for sure though is that if I did not swap in a solid axle it would not even be noticeable on road.

When I had General All terrain 31's my buddies with 32" and 33" offroad tires could not keep up at all unless it was just horrible mud in which case my AT's would get packed.

Gunz n tractorz 05-24-2013 10:00 PM

Hhhhmmmmmm. Lots to think about as someone said in prev post rustys offroad has the lock right locker on sale for d35 for $210 and it's usually $310 just saw the good deal and not sure what to do? It is a dd and will see mud dirt and rocks but nothing super major.

jeremyx28 05-24-2013 11:26 PM

I just got home from my first night time trail ride with my newly locked front. There were a couple others on the trail in front of me, and I had to keep waiting for them to back up and try to find new lines cause they kept spinning out. FYI, they were in pickups. I plowed right thru everything without a problem. I am sooooooo impressed with the locker, what a difference! I was up and over everything, rocks, downed trees, mud.....no problems. What a fun night. You almost feel invincible with the locker on the trails.

indirocz28 05-25-2013 07:46 AM

Lock-Right Locker - Dana Model 30 - Lockright Lockers - Lockers: ARB Air Lockers, Lock-Right, Detroit - Jeep Driveline

Yes, they are $210 right now.Thats $100 off!!!

DILLIGAF 05-25-2013 08:16 AM

Thanks for the link! I Just ordered one!

indirocz28 05-25-2013 08:48 AM

I would if I had the extra $, but just paid off my truck yesterday.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.