Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Need help finding information (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/need-help-finding-information-244515.html)

Taylor1216 05-23-2013 12:01 AM

Need help finding information
 
Ever since I was a kid I always thought Jeeps were the coolest vehicles around. So naturally, I bought one as soon as I could afford it. However, I have no mechanical background whatsoever and I really want to start working on my JK myself. It kills me to pay someone to do something I know I could do myself if I knew how. My question is, does anyone know if there are any resources available (like a super thorough owners manual) to help me get going In the right direction? I'm a total newbie, so please don't judge me :P

12thman 05-23-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor1216 (Post 3784298)
Ever since I was a kid I always thought Jeeps were the coolest vehicles around. So naturally, I bought one as soon as I could afford it. However, I have no mechanical background whatsoever and I really want to start working on my JK myself. It kills me to pay someone to do something I know I could do myself if I knew how. My question is, does anyone know if there are any resources available (like a super thorough owners manual) to help me get going In the right direction? I'm a total newbie, so please don't judge me :P

Chilton or Haynes repair manuals are pretty thorough.

kjeeper10 05-23-2013 04:46 AM

WF :whistling:

Off Pavement 05-23-2013 07:51 AM

I feel the best service manual comes from the manufacturer. If you really want to work on your vehicle yourself, the factory manual is tough to beat as it even tells you where wiring ground points are, how to remove and replace virtually every part on your Jeep, and troubleshooting info the dealers all have that you don't.

The manuals are not cheap and I just got my 2013 from Chrysler at close to $200, but the manuals will pay for themselves, and you get the satisfaction of knowing you did did the work, not wondering if a shop did the work right.

Click this link to factory manuals... Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2013 | Jeep

woansleftpeg 05-23-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thman (Post 3784543)
Chilton or Haynes repair manuals are pretty thorough.

There isn't a Haynes manual for the '12- Wrangler yet, and Chilton don't appear to do the JK at all.

12thman 05-24-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3785520)

There isn't a Haynes manual for the '12- Wrangler yet, and Chilton don't appear to do the JK at all.

OP just said JK. I don't know what year he has.

Hemiroid 05-24-2013 06:44 AM

https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx

Only available on CD when I got mine. This is the link to the factory Mopar service manual for the Jeep.

ilikeguns 05-24-2013 08:51 AM

find a group of fellow jeepers.. tackle a few small things first and work your way up. Last year I was where you are.. basically an oil change was my most skilled endeavor. Me and a buddy installed a leveling kit (took us 6 hours LOL) and then worked our way up. Amazing what difference a year can make.. and how much you can spend on tools..

woansleftpeg 05-24-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thman (Post 3788225)
OP just said JK. I don't know what year he has.

I know, I was just providing a bit more detail as I went through the same exercise recently. I've come to the conclusion that $25 a year to WF is the best source of information, guidance and ideas.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.