Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   how to repair a hole in the hard top? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/how-to-repair-a-hole-in-the-hard-top-244651.html)

Joseph96 05-23-2013 06:01 PM

how to repair a hole in the hard top?

Hey guys so i am new to this forum. I have decided to buy a jeep. after searching for a couple weeks i found a 2002 jeep wrangler with 80,000 miles for 6,000. It has a lift kit on it and is in good condition. There is just a few minor problems. The cruise control does not work (dont really like using it anyways) and there is a quarter sized hole in the hardtop. I would like to also get a soft top for use in the summer and keep the hardtop for the wintertime. Is there a way to fix the hardtop or is it time to start searching for a new top?

Atthehop 05-23-2013 06:40 PM

Duct tape and a heat gun.

Jaminjer 05-23-2013 06:47 PM

SMC is what you want to use, fiberglass like, i bought a can that had fibers in it already. any automotive paint supply can help you.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/my-h...nt-191441.html

Horn5413 05-23-2013 06:50 PM

The West System. It's an epoxy based resin used for fiberglass boats. Good stuff. Fill it let it set up sand it and paint it. It will look good as new.

jgorm 05-24-2013 09:07 AM

fiberglass is easy, cheap, messy, and tedious, but not hard at all. Make sure there are no bubbles. Or use a large bolt and washer and silicone it.

UFOtestpilot 05-24-2013 09:09 AM

Jeep hardtops are not fiberglass and as such will require different repair products.

krisbman 05-24-2013 09:27 AM

Fusor T-21 is by far the best

Usnrubi143 05-24-2013 10:19 AM

Add some stick on HP sticker it up:dance:

jgorm 05-24-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot (Post 3788582)
Jeep hardtops are not fiberglass and as such will require different repair products.

I wouldn't hesitate to use fiberglass on a hardtop. It's made of fibers and resin just like fiberglass. I've gone through gallons of fiberglass and with proper prep (40 grit, gouges, holes, etc) it will work just fine. It's doesn't have a structural need. It would work better than bondo.

UFOtestpilot 05-24-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm (Post 3790818)

I wouldn't hesitate to use fiberglass on a hardtop. It's made of fibers and resin just like fiberglass. I've gone through gallons of fiberglass and with proper prep (40 grit, gouges, holes, etc) it will work just fine. It's doesn't have a structural need. It would work better than bondo.

Yeah, it would work better than wet newspapers too. I would not repair it with standard fiberglass mat and resin, to each their own.

krisbman 05-24-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm (Post 3790818)

It will fail.

Virus692 05-24-2013 11:10 PM

For your CC check your vacuum lines... there is one on the drivers side that if it comes off your CC and heater vents stop working... connect it and zip tie and boom all better

jgorm 05-25-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot (Post 3790830)
Yeah, it would work better than wet newspapers too. I would not repair it with standard fiberglass mat and resin, to each their own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 3790837)
It will fail.

do you guys have experience with this? Have you done a lot of fiberglass work? Please fill me in with specifics on why it wont work.

UFOtestpilot 05-25-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm (Post 3791895)

do you guys have experience with this? Have you done a lot of fiberglass work? Please fill me in with specifics on why it wont work.

I don't personally. My family owns a body and paint shop though, and I know enough to be dangerous. What I know is that the secondary bond needs to be as strong or stronger than the primary bond or the patch will fail with vibration and flex over time. SMC is different from standard fiberglass and requires an epoxy bonding agent to patch properly. I'm not trying to start anything over it though, I just would hate to see someone put in time and money to patch and paint something only to have the patch fail in short order.

krisbman 05-25-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm (Post 3791895)

Been doing this since i was 16. Long strand conventional glass will not bond with SMC. Thats why they invented 2 part products such as T-21. Specifically designed to bond SMC together. The two substrates are completely different. And the old school days of drilling holes and scratching everything up with 40 grit are long gone.