Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Noobie Looking for Basic Trails in Santa Clarita (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/noobie-looking-for-basic-trails-in-santa-clarita-244833.html)

aharris41 05-24-2013 01:23 PM

Hi, I just bought my first jeep and would like to take it off the pavement for a little exploration. It is a daily driver and I do not have plans of anything serious. I want to find a few fire roads or trails to take my family out. My young kids would love it.

I got it lifted and on 35s, which is great for my basics.

Any suggestions?

crittert 05-24-2013 03:04 PM

Rowher Flats off of Sierra HWY has all kinds of fire roads for the choosing. It has some moderate sections as well..Look around there are plenty of fire roads in the area. Another area is down Bouqet Canyon Road. There are a few spots that are labeled with forestry signs as well. PM me some time if you want a tour of the area. I'm in Castaic btw.

aharris41 05-24-2013 04:31 PM

Thanks Crittert. I will take you up on that offer soon, could use a tour guide :).

Where do you start on Bouquet? I might take the family out tomorrow. I am really looking for simple and quick with them. This is also a way for my wife understand my new money pit.

crittert 05-24-2013 06:23 PM

Hey I totally get it. Here is a GPS coordinate to the entrance of Coarsegold road. Its a long windy fire road with some nice views. Good luck and have fun...

34.483451, -118.465764

DaK 05-24-2013 08:26 PM

Good thing you sent him up the fire road. The "short cut" is not something a n00b should be doing without someone around.

aharris41 05-25-2013 01:10 AM

Perfect. I will still hold you to a tour now day ;)

crittert 05-25-2013 10:02 AM

Hit me up anytime. I know these fire roads like the back of my hand.

aharris41 05-25-2013 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went out this morning with the family. Thanks for the suggestion. Good time out. I tried to make it over to Haskell, but after making a left to head down, it was a dead end. More to come ;)

mountainneer 05-26-2013 10:29 AM

Aharris41,

Welcome to the forum...I'm in Valencia. Let me know when your going out. Always looking to get out...

Ryan

aharris41 05-26-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainneer (Post 3794076)
Aharris41,

Welcome to the forum...I'm in Valencia. Let me know when your going out. Always looking to get out...

Ryan

Thanks, will definitely reach when it's time. I am not ready and not sure if I want to do anything serious. I found out yesterday that I just like being out. Easy fire road is my speed at this point :D

mountainneer 05-26-2013 11:18 PM

Some of our trips are easy dirt roads just out exploring. I usually plan trips around something to see or explore.

A neat easy trip is to the Burro Schmidt Tunnel and Bickel Camp. You can explore the tunnel and the old minning camps.

KLW24 05-27-2013 01:44 AM

Hello Aharris41

Hungry Valley OHV is a great place to gain basic 4x4 skills. Its a short drive from SCV. Also as mountaneer mentioned, Mojave has several newbie runs - your jeep is more than capable of making Last Chance Canyon, or up through Jawbone Cyn and over to Red Rock etc. Depending on time of year the Condor preserve at Red Rock is pretty cool and a great place for kids to explore. Im in Canyon Country so we should head out soon.

DaK 05-27-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLW24 (Post 3796159)
Hello Aharris41

Depending on time of year the Condor preserve at Red Rock is pretty cool and a great place for kids to explore.

Where is Red Rock is this Condor Preserve? I know where the Raptor preserve is located but have never heard of the Condor Preserve out that way.

mountainneer 05-27-2013 09:03 PM

Count me in for a Red Rock Trip if you guys plan something...

aharris41 05-29-2013 01:00 AM

You all are speaking my language :) I am looking to explore more than anything right now. My jeep is also my DD, so I don't want to screw anything up at this point (she needs to stay pretty :) )

I will start searching the suggestions mentioned above. The tunnel and mine run sounds sweet. If you all go to any of these soon, let me know. I will do the same.

KLW24 05-30-2013 12:32 AM

Raptor aka Condor

FACT - Raptors of the Region

Area is open again July 2 - but motorized vehicles allowed through the gate 15th - end of month.

I have been up there a few times and have only seen the birds flying along the cliffs once.

I have timed my trips to end at sunset there as the entire canyon totally lights up in several sunset colors - highly recommended!


Quote:

Originally Posted by DaK (Post 3796402)
Where is Red Rock is this Condor Preserve? I know where the Raptor preserve is located but have never heard of the Condor Preserve out that way.


KLW24 05-30-2013 12:40 AM

one caveat to my previous comment about the capability of your rig; the driver should be just as 'capable' as the rig if not more so - I have learned that lesson a couple times.

I highly recommend contacting Tom Severin and taking an "Off Road 101" course with him - my son and I did this a few years ago and it really gave us the important basics of safe off roading.

4WD Instructor Background

PS: my first 4x4 ride was a 2003 Land Rover Disco in mint condition and I quickly realized I had to accept the fact that as soon as my tires hit dirt I could no longer expect pretty, and 'pinstripes' became a badge of honor - I'm just sayin'...:facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aharris41 (Post 3803052)
You all are speaking my language :) I am looking to explore more than anything right now. My jeep is also my DD, so I don't want to screw anything up at this point (she needs to stay pretty :) )

I will start searching the suggestions mentioned above. The tunnel and mine run sounds sweet. If you all go to any of these soon, let me know. I will do the same.


DaK 05-30-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLW24 (Post 3806895)
Raptor aka Condor

FACT - Raptors of the Region

Area is open again July 2 - but motorized vehicles allowed through the gate 15th - end of month.

I have been up there a few times and have only seen the birds flying along the cliffs once.

I have timed my trips to end at sunset there as the entire canyon totally lights up in several sunset colors - highly recommended!

Okay I see your meaning... Have seen Red tails and several species of owls as well. There is a golden eagle that hangs out in the winter time on Garlock Road as well. That is one big bird.

Nightmare canyon, the one that is closed for Raptor nesting, is closed the 1 THROUGH the 15th of the month. Made the trip several times on the 15th to find the gates locked. Ranger clarified that it is THROUGH the 15th so open the 16th through the end of the month to vehicle traffic.

There is still plenty to see and do in Red Rock. Couple of weeks ago we played, "what is down this road?", lots of buildings, mines and other structures to visit.

Then there is McIver's cabin on the West side of the 14. This is a fire road. Good day trip.

KLW24 05-30-2013 11:21 PM

cool thanks for clarifying that. BTW have you done Goler Wash and 'The Narrows'...I have 3 times with the Disco, one of thoise my 18 year old son was driving - all without even a scratch! Have not taken the Jeep yet so that would be a good run...

DaK 05-31-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLW24 (Post 3810233)
cool thanks for clarifying that. BTW have you done Goler Wash and 'The Narrows'...I have 3 times with the Disco, one of thoise my 18 year old son was driving - all without even a scratch! Have not taken the Jeep yet so that would be a good run...


You mean Goler Gulch, the canyon up Charlie Rd. Correct? Goler Wash is in DV. Semantics I know but distinctly two different places. This guy Goler got around this area back in his day. Lots of places and streets named after him. Little write up on the area for those that have never been:

Goler, CA | Death Valley Jim's Desert AdventuresDeath Valley Jim's Desert Adventures

Yes have done those, nice little trail that leads back to some nice structures and mines. Very picturesque back there. Shame of it is that the mine and camp on the way to the gulch has been trashed and there is trash all over but apparently Ridgecrest BLM stepped up and cleaned that up.

Desert Cleanup - Goler Gulch

This may warrant an early morning run on the weekend of the 15th to check out and do a little more foot exploring.

KLW24 06-01-2013 08:28 PM

Thanks Dak - not sure why I keep calling that Goler Wash - bee na while since I have been out there - 15th is out for me but maybe another weekend like June 22 or 23?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaK (Post 3810682)
You mean Goler Gulch, the canyon up Charlie Rd. Correct? Goler Wash is in DV. Semantics I know but distinctly two different places. This guy Goler got around this area back in his day. Lots of places and streets named after him. Little write up on the area for those that have never been:

Goler, CA | Death Valley Jim's Desert AdventuresDeath Valley Jim's Desert Adventures

Yes have done those, nice little trail that leads back to some nice structures and mines. Very picturesque back there. Shame of it is that the mine and camp on the way to the gulch has been trashed and there is trash all over but apparently Ridgecrest BLM stepped up and cleaned that up.

Desert Cleanup - Goler Gulch

This may warrant an early morning run on the weekend of the 15th to check out and do a little more foot exploring.


DaK 06-01-2013 08:42 PM

One of those days will work.

DaK 06-11-2013 04:10 PM

Okay, let us start planning something. Got a guy from another board interested in going out as well. What date work's best?

My plan will be to meet at the ranger station at Red Rock near the Red Rock General store. Then we can either go into the park via Last Chance or Goler Gulch. Time will be 0800 at the ranger station.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.