Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Too Rich...now what? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/too-rich-now-what-244893.html)

5150Rubicon 05-24-2013 06:01 PM

Too Rich...now what?
 
So I just walked out of another dealership. The 10a is just too rich for my blood. But...I have the Jeep bug and am definitely in the market for an unlimited (my dog is with me 99% of the time :)

Wanted your opinion. Not an off-roader (don't virtually spit on me!). But just love Jeeps, how they drive, the look, etc. and my commute to work is under 2 miles.

With that, what is your thoughts on an Unlimited Sport. Crazy difference in price. Could I swap the stock tires for the Mud BFG's that are on the 10a? It seems (unless there's a difference in the stock ride heights for example) that it would be a great Jeep for a fraction of the price.

Any thoughts?

theStickbug 05-24-2013 06:07 PM

If you don't offroad - and even if you do - thr Sport is still a great choice. And, like you said, it's a lot cheaper then a 10A.

Get a Sport! You won't be disappointed.

kjeeper10 05-24-2013 06:08 PM

Sport x2

5150Rubicon 05-24-2013 06:13 PM

Thanks guys. I noticed the sports do not come with an option for a hard top. I dont even know if I'd ever use one. Anyone in ct (or northeast) use their jeep as a daily driver all year with just a softop?

GoldenSahara00 05-24-2013 06:16 PM

SPORT!!!! :thumb:

asianhulk 05-24-2013 06:20 PM

Sahara is my vote!

Jeeps_and_Boats 05-24-2013 06:21 PM

Sport model can come with any top configuration you want. Order exactly what you want, and don't simply buy what's in inventory. Worth the 2 month wait IMHO

5150Rubicon 05-24-2013 06:29 PM

Thanks guys, great site. Do you know, is the stock Sport and the stock Rubicon (unlimited) the same ride heights? The rubicon just looks so much more aggressive and higher...is it just the tires? If so...I can totally swing (and justify) a new Sport Unlimited and swap the stock tires for some BFG's. Thanks in advance.

GoldenSahara00 05-24-2013 06:31 PM

Ride height should be just about the same, spring rates may vary however. The tires would make it look more aggressive and are bigger I believe. You can easily lift and add tires with the money you will be saving.

OffRoadCam09 05-24-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3790106)
Thanks guys, great site. Do you know, is the stock Sport and the stock Rubicon (unlimited) the same ride heights? The rubicon just looks so much more aggressive and higher...is it just the tires? If so...I can totally swing (and justify) a new Sport Unlimited and swap the stock tires for some BFG's. Thanks in advance.

It's just the tires. Sports are very capable an are quite a bit cheaper. Just swap the tires/wheels to beef it up an enjoy.

flyinion 05-24-2013 06:34 PM

Ride height difference, other than springs which I believe is supposed to be random or semi-random depending on options like towing and hard top, is simply the tires. Stock sport is 29", stock Sport S/Sahara/Rubi are 32" tires. That's an extra 1.5" of ride height plus the larger more aggressive looking tires.

5150Rubicon 05-24-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffRoadCam09 (Post 3790116)
It's just the tires. Sports are very capable an are quite a bit cheaper. Just swap the tires/wheels to beef it up an enjoy.

Wow, that's incredible. If I can simply swap out the tires on a stock Sport Unlimited to get the look and height of a stock Rubicon...then we have a winner.:dance:

donmeca2020 05-24-2013 06:37 PM

kinda sorta on the same boat, i want a 10th anniversary but have started to get turned off by the fact the dealerships WILL NOT negoiate on pricing of them. they stick with whatever price they have on the vehicle. i offered a few dealers a reasonable Out the door price, they simply looked at me like i was crazy.

So now im thinking and trying to hold off for the 2014s. there is supposedly going to be a few new colors and it might be worth the wait.

As for getting a sport model from all the info i collected here on this forum, the car is exactly the same except the rubicon has a bettery suspension on it. other then that the body,motor, etc are all the same just about.

good luck whatever you do and keep us updated. :thumb:

OffRoadCam09 05-24-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3790124)

Wow, that's incredible. If I can simply swap out the tires on a stock Sport Unlimited to get the look and height of a stock Rubicon...then we have a winner.:dance:

Yes depending on the model not sure about the unlimiteds but the 2door sports come with 29" tires you can get the sport s package an that comes with the 32's the rubis an saharas come with. Or try to get some rubi wheels an tires in on the deal when buying

WatchThis! 05-24-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmeca2020 (Post 3790126)
kinda sorta on the same boat, i want a 10th anniversary but have started to get turned off by the fact the dealerships WILL NOT negoiate on pricing of them. they stick with whatever price they have on the vehicle. i offered a few dealers a reasonable Out the door price, they simply looked at me like i was crazy.

So now im thinking and trying to hold off for the 2014s. there is supposedly going to be a few new colors and it might be worth the wait.

As for getting a sport model from all the info i collected here on this forum, the car is exactly the same except the rubicon has a bettery suspension on it. other then that the body,motor, etc are all the same just about.

good luck whatever you do and keep us updated. :thumb:

You might want to do some more research before you give false info like that.

kjeeper10 05-24-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmeca2020 (Post 3790126)
kinda sorta on the same boat, i want a 10th anniversary but have started to get turned off by the fact the dealerships WILL NOT negoiate on pricing of them. they stick with whatever price they have on the vehicle. i offered a few dealers a reasonable Out the door price, they simply looked at me like i was crazy.

So now im thinking and trying to hold off for the 2014s. there is supposedly going to be a few new colors and it might be worth the wait.

As for getting a sport model from all the info i collected here on this forum, the car is exactly the same except the rubicon has a bettery suspension on it. other then that the body,motor, etc are all the same just about.

good luck whatever you do and keep us updated. :thumb:

-tires KM's
- rock sliders
- shocks
- 4:1 transfer case
- electro disconnects
- electro lockers F&R
- 4:10 gearing option
- Dana 44 axle F&R
- awesome Rubicon sticker

What did I miss? Small difference between a sport and a Rubicon :cool:

Raiderfan001 05-24-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffRoadCam09 (Post 3790116)
It's just the tires. Sports are very capable an are quite a bit cheaper. Just swap the tires/wheels to beef it up an enjoy.

+1

The wheels and tires make a huge difference in the look. I just replaced my stockers today.

GoldenSahara00 05-24-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3790150)
-tires KM's
- rock sliders
- shocks
- 4:1 transfer case
- electro disconnects
- electro lockers F&R
- 4:10 gearing option
- Dana 44 axle F&R
- awesome Rubicon sticker
- different stupid wheels :hide:

What did I miss? Small difference between a sport and a Rubicon :cool:

different stupid wheels? :hide:

Muddr1 05-24-2013 06:58 PM

Basically if your not going to wheel the jeep, dont spend the extra money for the things you will never use. I have a sport and have a hard top and everything I wanted. Shop around.

panthermark 05-24-2013 06:58 PM

Get the Sport S with a hardtop or dual tops, anti-spin, 3.73's, Connectivity, and enjoy.....

Make sure you ask questions here before you order/buy. Hopefully it wasn't a dealer that said you cannot get a hardtop with a Sport. Or maybe you misunderstood..you can't get a painted/matching hardtop with a Sport.

kjeeper10 05-24-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3790169)

different stupid wheels? :hide:

Fixed

donmeca2020 05-24-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3790150)
-tires KM's
- rock sliders
- shocks
- 4:1 transfer case
- electro disconnects
- electro lockers F&R
- 4:10 gearing option
- Dana 44 axle F&R
- awesome Rubicon sticker

What did I miss? Small difference between a sport and a Rubicon :cool:

from what i take from the OP thread he never said anything about needing all the components to go rock climbing.... his main use would be daily driving it and making it look nice. therefore what would all that need a rubicon for??? especially considering he's asking about a sport model

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3790134)
You might want to do some more research before you give false info like that.

read my answer above home slice... once again isn't the body, motor, interior, etc the same as other wranglers??? i believe so. yes i've seen and read prior to what Kjeeper10 but in ALL REALITY it is the same vehicle.... the guy didn't say he was taking it off roading did he ??

GoldenSahara00 05-24-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3790176)
Fixed

But it's still not there in your post :whistling::angel:

donmeca2020 05-24-2013 07:06 PM

5150rubicon, check this thread out http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/rub...rt-240317.htmlthis should help you decide things. it also helped me as well. too bad the rubicon nazis are starting to pop out now..... :rolleyes:

kjeeper10 05-24-2013 07:10 PM

C-mon peeps, no need to go all crazy here.

He started off his post saying he was looking at a 10A = Rubicon.
Fancy smancy rubicon with cool red seats :D

5150Rubicon 05-24-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3790174)
Get the Sport S with a hardtop or dual tops, anti-spin, 3.73's, Connectivity, and enjoy.....

Make sure you ask questions here before you order/buy. Hopefully it wasn't a dealer that said you cannot get a hardtop with a Sport. Or maybe you misunderstood..you can't get a painted/matching hardtop with a Sport.

I really appreciate the info. I just "built" a Sport Unlimited S on the jeep.com site and that is exactly the route I'm going. Thanks so much. That with 4 bfg's and it'll be exactly what I was looking for...THANKS

JTPhoto JK 05-24-2013 07:14 PM

Go to your local dealer and get a brochure and look closely what the prices are on the lot. It will have the available options, but beware that as you add wheels, the 24s pkg and such you will be up to the price of a Sahara. There is a reason the Sport is so much cheaper.

IMHO it is much cheaper to buy the Sport with the crappy 29s then get a nice aftermarket wheel with a tire of your choice.

jp2611 05-24-2013 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
FWIW I have a Sport...it is the one in my Avatar. IT is Red and called LIL RED 'cause around here, most of the "built" 4wd are running 40" tires or bigger. but we do all right when it comes time to go wheeling....most everyone else is "Mud Bogging".

My wife liked my Sport so much on the street in the winter, (cause the Jeep could always go in the winter) and the top off in the summer...that we got her a Sport also a Blue one. and for our use with the SOFTTOP she couldn't be happier.

READ A LOT ON HERE FOR THE WEEKEND and go get the SPORT that is right for YOU!!!

Search the threads or just ask in the JK section.....Oh BTW my Red Sport is an '04 and the Blu Sport is a '12 JK....and no they are not the same thing at ALL!!

mike1158 05-24-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3790028)
So I just walked out of another dealership. The 10a is just too rich for my blood. But...I have the Jeep bug and am definitely in the market for an unlimited (my dog is with me 99% of the time :)

Wanted your opinion. Not an off-roader (don't virtually spit on me!). But just love Jeeps, how they drive, the look, etc. and my commute to work is under 2 miles.

With that, what is your thoughts on an Unlimited Sport. Crazy difference in price. Could I swap the stock tires for the Mud BFG's that are on the 10a? It seems (unless there's a difference in the stock ride heights for example) that it would be a great Jeep for a fraction of the price.

Any thoughts?

"not an off-raoder" then you'd be completely wasting a few grand getting a Rubicon..Let alone a 10A

The Sport or Sport S is a great Jeep...just keep a few things in mind
If you want heated Seats, you gotta step up to a Freedom (Oscar Mike)
If you want factoy NAVI.. you gotta step up to Sahara
If your gonna just change the tires SPort S might be a good choice
If you're gonna change wheels and tires and don't mind bare bones go with the SPort..don't pay for the upgrade wheels on the SPort S just to change them...again this is only if you like bare bones..the Sport restricts your available options pretty hard.
A Sport S can be optioned out pretty close to a Sahara, but of course at that point you're getting close to Sahara money.
a few other notes... the new premium Soft top is a $400 option but it is a NICE top...if you are trying to keep budget down and thinkning of going Just soft top.
If you want the hard top i'd say get it from the factory and get a softy off of Craigslist..they are always on there. especially for a 4 door
NOW for your tire comments...yeah the BFG KM mud tires LOOK cool, but for someone that isn't an off roader you will be giving up a lot for looks, you'd be hard pressed to find someone that'll tell you that Mud tires are good for on road use. You can find quite a few options that will do better on road, ride better, be less noisy and LOOK cool.

mike1158 05-24-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3790212)
I really appreciate the info. I just "built" a Sport Unlimited S on the jeep.com site and that is exactly the route I'm going. Thanks so much. That with 4 bfg's and it'll be exactly what I was looking for...THANKS

as i said in my other post..pump your breaks on the BFGs (Rubicon tires) you can get the" look" with other tires that will serve you MUCH better on the road...where your Jeep will spend a MAJORITY of the time..
Get ready to get very familiar with the term "Duratrac"
When you get your Jeep, come ack here to the forum...these boys wil help you with a tire choice also... different brand models and sizes.. there is whole thread on here about whats the biggest tire you can get on a stock JK (non-lifted) that might be a good place for you to get some ideas to help you get the" look" you're going for.
here's a little tip..get a tire slightly larger then stock, with better tread, keep your stock wheels (saving you money) and throw on some wheel spacer for about $200 and you will be looking STOUT


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.