Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Oklahoma tornado Jeep story.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/oklahoma-tornado-jeep-story-244933.html)

Greg_2012_JKU 05-24-2013 10:28 PM

Oklahoma tornado Jeep story..

Check out this story about a Jeeper helping out after the Oklahoma tornado.

It's off of the COP4X4 home page.

https://www.facebook.com/COP4x4?hc_location=stream

PHILDABEAST 05-24-2013 10:58 PM

That's awesome.

NFRs2000NYC 05-24-2013 11:00 PM

Thats amazing. Good for him. I hope he gets back into a Jeep ASAP.

Greg_2012_JKU 05-24-2013 11:08 PM

If you read the comments, 4 wheel parts and COP 4x4 told the owner to NOT let the insurance company total it out because they are gonna fix it one up!! That's just awesome!

NFRs2000NYC 05-25-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg_2012_JKU (Post 3790850)
If you read the comments, 4 wheel parts and COP 4x4 told the owner to NOT let the insurance company total it out because they are gonna fix it one up!! That's just awesome!

Even better! The hero lives on!

element4all 05-25-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg_2012_JKU (Post 3790850)

thats amazing!

KurtVW 05-25-2013 12:50 AM

I love this! A big part of the reason I bought my jeep is that I don't want to be helpless when the grid goes down... I want to survive and help others to do the same, and seeing this story really makes me happy because I know I'm not alone, and that a lot of you guys are going to be there to help.

This guy rocks.

pathguy 05-25-2013 06:15 AM

Simply awesome--gives me hope for humanity :thumb:

Ivoryring 05-25-2013 06:47 AM

I've been looking at the pics - that Jeep is a beautiful scarred tool. It would be a shame to return it to the way it looked before it went through all that. I hope he finds a way to show that thing off with pride every day he drives down the road.

PHILDABEAST 05-25-2013 09:23 AM

X2. Those are well earned battle scars that should be worn with pride.

10Anvil 05-25-2013 11:04 AM

Even if totaled out he could just buy it back.

okstatemike 05-25-2013 11:21 AM

I live in Yukon, OK...about 10 miles as the crow flies from Moore. I have heard about this Hero and his rig on the streets. Hope he gets up and running again soon. It would be an honor to go wheeling with him in the future. Well done Sir, well done. :thumb:

ltsrapcon 05-25-2013 12:27 PM

Kudos to that Man and his Jeep. I saw the devestation that the 99 storm did to Moore, It was crazy.

nickmimi 05-25-2013 12:32 PM

awesome story.

White Buffalo 05-27-2013 12:25 PM

This is a Jeep thing. Hero is the right word for what he did with his Jeep. Hope he can fix it up to normal. IF it's totaled buy it back from the ins co. It's well worth it.

HRPinDC 05-27-2013 06:06 PM

Great story about a tough vehicle and a tougher dude. We saw it in Boston and we're seeing it in OK, this is what being an American is about. When the stuff hits the fan, there's no one else I'd rather be in it with. Glad to see the community step up and make things right. Was thinking about getting a SpiderWeb Shade, and seeing their name up there helped me make my decision. Kudos to all involved.

Steeljag 05-27-2013 06:46 PM

Saw the pics, but no story ?

gillbot 05-27-2013 08:30 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Quote:

23 May 2013
To Whom It May Concern,
I wanted to express my appreciation and gratitude to Jeep.
Today is the 306th day of my one-year deployment at Camp Eggers in Kabul, Afghanistan. My husband, Bryan Hutton, and my two-year-old son, Ricky, were staying at my in-laws’ house in Moore, Oklahoma, and were in the direct path of the 20 May 2013 tornado. My in-laws’ neighborhood was destroyed. My aunt’s house was a street over. It was a two-story house that is now no taller than Bryan’s knees. Fortunately, Bryan and Ricky had just enough time to get to the next door neighbor’s in-ground shelter—the shelter saved their lives.
When Bryan emerged from the shelter, he found part of his parents’ house collapsed upon our 2012 Rubicon, affectionately known and even tagged as “Stomper”. Yes, our Jeep was named after one of Bryan’s favorite childhood toys, those 4x4 toys that ran on a single battery and kept going and going. Bryan put Stomper in 4-lo reverse and Stomper got itself out of the rubble. Bryan cleared out the baby car seat which was full of debris best he could, strapped Ricky in, and for the next six hours or so used the winch to pull houses off of people and transported injured people to where they could get medical treatment.
My husband said Ricky was a very good boy in the tornado aftermath. Not a single complaint the whole time they were rescuing people, despite being in the same diaper and only having access to one bottle of water. I hate that both of them went through that, especially Ricky, but I like to think that Ricky’s presence helped to soothe the injured people. I think because Ricky was able to see everything due to the design of the Wrangler, it kept him from throwing a fit. Even a few days before the tornado hit, while my husband was hanging out at the house with his friend, Josh, my two-year old son asked his daddy, “Dada…Josh…ride?” They all piled in the Jeep and went for a ride with the top down. Ricky loved riding in Stomper. I even gave my husband a hard time while I’ve been deployed because he’s posted more Facebook pictures of Stomper than of our own son. He said that is because Stomper stands still for pictures. When I woke up in Afghanistan and saw the news on Facebook, I saw pictures of Stomper in the tornado aftermath and that is when I knew something terrible happened. Fortunately, Bryan also said that he and Ricky were OK.
We all loved our Stomper. We even went from Ohio, which is where my home base is located, to Seattle and back in Stomper right before I deployed to create family memories…we got off the interstate in South Dakota and only took non-interstate roads/paths to Seattle. We crossed the Continental Divide on a gravel road, went through Yellowstone with the top down (even when it was in the upper 30s), and got a little close-up to a bear somewhere out in Idaho. Good family memories. We think Stomper is a total loss…waiting on the insurance adjuster, but Stomper died a heroic death.
My husband’s birthday is today. I am so grateful that Bryan is alive to see his 36th birthday. With the help of Stomper, Bryan was able to rescue other people so they can go on to see their own birthdays. People call me a hero for being deployed in Afghanistan…but to me, Bryan is not only my husband, HE is my hero.
Thank you for a vehicle that my family loved!
Brenda L. Hutton

DatacomGuy 05-27-2013 10:25 PM

Great story. Really speaks to the Jeep culture for sure. True hero.

Lusus_Naturae 05-28-2013 10:41 AM

We saw Stomper out there Monday, and he was on the news too. We weren't surprised at all that another Jeeper was out and about even after being through it. There were quite a few Jeep Wranglers of varying generations out there that night. We left shortly after midnight Tuesday morning, our last drop was a mother and two daughters that lost part of their house. They had been trying to figure out how to get across town to another family member's house but had been told that nobody was available to transport them. I overheard the conversation as we were getting ready to leave (we were back at Home Depot again) and we packed them in the backseat of the Wrangler and drove them to the house.

Afterwards, we headed to east Moore to check on the roadcrews over there and drop off water if needed. East of I-35 wasn't too bad, all things considered.

woansleftpeg 05-29-2013 06:17 PM

I don't know if you folks are following this story, but the guy from Cop4x4 has basically roped in a load of his suppliers to give him a bunch of free parts, borrowed a truck and trailer from Airaid to drive 1000 miles down to Moore and pick up Stomper, and is taking it back to his shop where he's going to rebuild it for free. It's well worth following Cop4x4 on Facebook if you're not already just so you can keep up with the story, things like this warm the cockles of my heart.

Steeljag 05-29-2013 07:51 PM

Good read!

Greg_2012_JKU 05-29-2013 11:17 PM

I check out his FB page for updates about 3-4 times a day. Can't wait to see what he does to it. His shop has put out some nice vehicles!

Greg_2012_JKU 06-05-2013 07:01 PM

Don't know if anyone is still following this, but Stomper is getting a 6.1 SRT Hemi!!

mgola27 06-05-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg_2012_JKU (Post 3829356)
Don't know if anyone is still following this, but Stomper is getting a 6.1 SRT Hemi!!

Did NOT hear that. Way cool.

laollis 06-11-2013 12:32 PM

Way friggin Cool !!!

legitposter 06-11-2013 03:17 PM

I'm really skeptical of how he could've possibly saved anyone. It almost seems like he just made mountains out of mole hills and drove people 1000ft over some 2X4's and debris because people were too nice to just say "I'll just walk".

I wish we could get more witness stories.

Up Hill Bill 06-11-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitposter (Post 3849518)
I'm really skeptical of how he could've possibly saved anyone. It almost seems like he just made mountains out of mole hills and drove people 1000ft over some 2X4's and debris because people were too nice to just say "I'll just walk".

I wish we could get more witness stories.

Man... way to throw a downer into an otherwise uplifting, positive story. You must be one of those guys who goes around telling little kids there is no Santa Claus.... jeez. :nonono:

Drmad7 06-11-2013 04:02 PM

I'm happy for this Good Samaritan. He did the right thing that he didn't have to do.

4DoorCrush 06-11-2013 04:03 PM

Bryan is a member of the forum.