Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   need a 2.5 inch lift , want a great kit , help me decide (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/need-a-2-5-inch-lift-want-a-great-kit-help-me-decide-244960.html)

Spyder1049 05-25-2013 08:00 AM

need a 2.5 inch lift , want a great kit , help me decide

I know theres other threads out there asking the same question , I didn't want to clutter up someone elses thread . Little back story i had a 2012 sahara , unlimited, 3.73 auto , with a 3 inch bds basic lift with 18's and 35's . I went with the heavier Nitto trail grappler , i could feel the stain and lack of power with the 3.73's. The lift was the first thing i did to that jeep . It had all kinds of wandering bad onroad manners , made me not want to drive the jeep as much as i didnt have as much knowledge about lifts and jeeps in general at that point . Started to hear the tick from the engine as it was getting louder and said " You know what , more problems here then good " .
Traded it in , got a 2013 JKUR CG , Told the wife i just wanted to go back to start again , hit the redo button do things a different way to the new one , not do the lift and bigger tires . I live on long Island we have no rocks just beaches with really no place to go offroading in my area or within 100 miles . So I started the new build , Did all the lighting and electrical that i want right now , did the CAI and exhuast, did my front bumper and winch , did my oba under the hood , did the bushwacker flatties .
Now im starting to get the itch to lift again but i want to do it the right way and It has to have good on road manners as well as be capable off the occasional off road trip to rausch or somewhere else in the area . I don't want to make another mistake , i already know how a jeep can be affected by sub par kit and would like to choose a complete kit.
The metal cloak game changer lite catches my eye , its expensive and not sure i need all that as my jeep is my DD as well so its going to spend more time on road then off.
Looked at the RK kits , Max travel , flex , x factor
Also checked out AEV's kit with the geo correction and by the sound of it looks to be a good choice for me .
the 2.5 aev kit looks like it does not offer alot of parts and im wondering if im slipping back into the same realm of choosing a not so complete kit . Or do i have it wrong and that is all i need ?
Any advice will help thanks

DirtyTeddy 05-25-2013 09:12 AM

I run the TF 2.5" shocks and springs. I like because you actually get that amount and I do more pavement driving than off road being that it is my usual DD.

Lefty Diego 05-25-2013 09:24 AM

I run this Teraflex on a 2012 JKU. I have been very pleased with it and have had no issues in 10k miles. I had it installed by a shop.
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/...psb09a2ed1.jpg

benjamin.allen 05-25-2013 09:42 AM

I have the aev 2.5 with the correction brackets. Its an awesome kit. The on road is way better than stock and the off road i have done has been great. I would recommend it based on what you said it would be for. The kit is complete for what is needed.

JTPhoto JK 05-25-2013 09:43 AM

Many people run TeraFlex myself included and have had no complaints in the past 5 years.

Rottenbigdogs 05-25-2013 09:51 AM

so was in a similar place and want tipped the scale for me was 2 things.

1. went and read how to install the lifts and when I saw drill, clamp, blah, blah I questioned why and also if it was a good idea.
THEN
2. I made some calls. I called all the companies I was considering and talked about there lifts, the ones i was looking at and talked about what some of my questions from the above. AFTER those calls I called the shops and taled to the installers and got an opinion.

In the end one company (MC) and there approach came out on top for me and have chosen to go with them. They were the most informed in the areas that I was concerned about and the funny thing was they new as much about the other companies lifts as the their own tech's.

BUT, dont take my word for it. Invest a little of time and talk to the companies and tell them what you want your end goals are a little different than mine

Spyder1049 05-25-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rottenbigdogs (Post 3791705)
so was in a similar place and want tipped the scale for me was 2 things.

1. went and read how to install the lifts and when I saw drill, clamp, blah, blah I questioned why and also if it was a good idea.
THEN
2. I made some calls. I called all the companies I was considering and talked about there lifts, the ones i was looking at and talked about what some of my questions from the above. AFTER those calls I called the shops and taled to the installers and got an opinion.

In the end one company (MC) and there approach came out on top for me and have chosen to go with them. They were the most informed in the areas that I was concerned about and the funny thing was they new as much about the other companies lifts as the their own tech's.

BUT, dont take my word for it. Invest a little of time and talk to the companies and tell them what you want your end goals are a little different than mine

Which mc kit did you end up going with?
Also ThX Benjamin, the aev 2.5 is Def a front runner as with mc

Rottenbigdogs 05-25-2013 10:14 AM

Since I am going to do my build up in steps with the end goal being the game changer OR game changer lite I am going with JK Wrangler Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5", ARB Edition this way I get the OME shocks in the lite version, have minimal steps to the eng goal and a good set of little more base components for my Rubicon. When I talked to them about the differences between 2.5 and 3.5 is was the springs so that gives me that added vector once I am at the GM Lite level. I have more rocks and deep mud here in the PNW than you di it sounds like so articulation was ket for me I also could not mentally jump into 2.7k for my suspension for something that is a DD I like to keep in the back of my head that I have to drive it on monday and that not all the parts are MC so they could break.. I know sounds funny :hide: but helps me set limits for myself.

AOR 05-25-2013 10:28 AM

Do the Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod or 2.5 Flex System. You can always expand from there. Throw on a set of Bilstein 5100s and call it a day. Or the Teraflex 2.5" coil kits are a good choice as well.

Hoot2 05-25-2013 11:25 AM

Spyder, I'm in the same boat as you...kind of. I'm looking for a more complete 2.5 that hopefully won't be over a grand, and I'm also on Long Island (Suffolk).

Where we differ is that I didn't get the Rubi, only the sport, and now I'm a little paranoid after reading your post that if I put a lift and 35s on, I'm gonna be hurtin on some slight LIE hills! I did get the 3.73s, and I was planning on duratracs, which are a bit lighter than your Nittos, but I'm wondering if I am going to shoot myself in the foot.

Anyways, concerning your question, I have been researching too, and it seems like the AEV with geo correction is one of the best choices if you are doing mostly on road driving, like most of us on LI will be doing 😒.

Spyder1049 05-25-2013 11:48 AM

Yup I can justify a 2000 dollar lift if it's going to be same or better then stock, I'm not looking to cheap out this time, just want to make the right decision the first time (lol really second time) around.
On to the 3.73 it wasn't horrible, but I could tell the difference from when it was stock , I expected it to be, but I didn't like it, I could have just fixed that with a re gear

TNwoodsman 05-25-2013 12:39 PM

Following along. I am trying to make my decision as well. I have and still am leaning towards MC. Its definitely not the most affordable kit, but I have yet to hear ANYTHING bad about their products. I am hoping they have memorial day sale like many other places are doing right now. I am looking at their 3.5 dual rate unlimited kit without the shocks option so that later when I have money again, I can upgrade the shocks to the OME shocks.

jsmithtx 05-25-2013 03:03 PM

I run the TeraFlex 2.5 and Bilstein shocks. Love the setup.

traitor08 05-25-2013 03:33 PM

I run the Rock Krawler max travel kit with fox shocks. It is a better ride than stock. I am going with there kit when I do my jku, it is a very nice setup.

I would definately give them a try. I was looking at the MC kits for my jkus, but I like the hich clearance lower arms on the rock krawler kit more than swapping out the uppers on the mc kit.

dkeown 05-25-2013 07:14 PM

I just installed a AEV dualsport 2.5 on my 2012 jku. I love how it looks (pics coming tomorrow) but it took a little improvising along the way to get it installed properly. It took quite a bit more time than I was anticipating but the results are great and it rides really good.

rhen74 05-25-2013 10:08 PM

I've got the AEV 2.5 on my '13. Like everyone else says, it rides better than stock. Off road, it handles great as well. My jeep is my DD that I want to keep for a very long time, but I don't want to just keep it on the pavement.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps3a4ad626.jpg[/URL]

KurtVW 05-25-2013 11:34 PM

Aev all the way, great road manners and my 2.5 lift actually delivered 3.5!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/...2976/57143.jpg

Flint_Holbrook 05-26-2013 06:52 AM

You are making a mistake if you put anything other than and AEV lift. As an Engineer, I did an extensive evaluation of these lifts before putting one on my 2013 Rubicon 2 Door.

AEV has done it right IMO. They have maintained the factory geometric proportions as they extended the ride height 2.5 inches vertically. AEV has hired several design engineers away from Jeep to develop their products. One of which, as I understand it, was one of the original developers of the JK suspension for 2007.

I installed mine by myself. The ride is better than the stock suspension. I think this is a result of the combination variable rate springs and the tuning of the shocks and keeping with the stock geometric configuration. I did install the drop brackets as this helps with axle placement but also with braking performance. The brackets set the imaginary center of rotation for the axle as well as adjusting caster of the axle.

The lift was designed for a fully weighted, armored Jeep. I have added nearly 1000 pounds to the factory spec curb weight with bumpers, winch, skid plate replacements, tires and wheels, and so on. AEV has accounted for this in the design of the system. I got 2.8 inches of lift from the 2.5 inch kit. The kit also maintains the factory rake to the front. Hence, when you have loaded gear in the Jeep it will ride level. The rake also helps with fuel efficiency moving the box through the air.

I think with the help of Nth Degree, AEV has developed a great product for the JK the matches most folks use of these vehicles. If you are looking to build an extreme rock rig then this on may not be for you, However, for those of us that only occasionally hit a trail for a jamboree of monthly trail ride with our local club, but wake up Monday morning and jump in the Jeep and drive to work, this product is spot on.

Flint_Holbrook 05-26-2013 07:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of mine with 35 wildpeaks

PieFace 05-26-2013 07:13 AM

Right behind flint, I'll tell you AEV is not a superior lift. I dont know how they get mentioned beside Teraflex and Rock Krawler.

AEV is a great company, and they make cool stuff, but when it comes to a lift, they are using the stock hardware and brackets. No misalignment arms.

If your going to spend the money, you want at least lower control arms that articulate. This keeps the cabin flat while you drive offroad. I dont know if the Rock Krawler Max travel 2.5 is less than 1000, but its close.

If you want real value for your money, Id look there.

I have the 2.5 X-Factor, changing all lower and upper control arms. the Max Travel 2.5 should work very similarly.

Rock Krawler 2.5 X-Factor Off Road Clip - YouTube

The RK Vs. Stock works for AEV, because we are talking about the arms misaligning to keep the cabin steady.

The Rock Krawler Difference - X-Factor vs Stock - YouTube

Here's another vid of just the lift's arms working under the truck.

Rock Krawler 2.5 X-Factor - YouTube

Since im posting videos, here's a funny one where a friend drops mine on the cross member.

Cross Member testing - YouTube

benjamin.allen 05-26-2013 07:26 AM

i agree with pieface on there are more complete kits in regards to if you are going to be doing more offroading than the occasional trail or just beach runs which it is what the op is saying. i would still recommend the aev kit for what he needs. that being said i have used my aev kit on some good trails and climbing rocks and have had no issues. i love the on road way the jeep handles and for what i do off road this kit has worked well for me

03SVT 05-26-2013 08:25 AM

how do these compare to the Mopar stage 2 kits with Fox shocks. Supposed to get a 2" lift from this kit. This kit better or worse than AEV/Teraflex?

dkeown 05-26-2013 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my 2012 jku with the aev 2.5 I installed yesterday. The handling is great and I think it looks a lot better now.

Spyder1049 05-26-2013 04:34 PM

well guys i know theres alot of aev haters out there along with a good following , think im going with the aev kit

dkeown 05-26-2013 05:17 PM

There are a few good lifts out there. I went with the aev because my jku is my dd and its on the highway 95 % of the time. I know I'm never going to rock crawl with it, just use it for fire trails and drag a few deer out of the woods. I installed the geometry correction brackets at the same time as the lift so I can't comment on the handling with just the lift installed itself. When I was done installing the lift yesterday, it tracked straight down the road and only needed a minor adjustment to recenter the steering wheel.

Reaper2332 05-26-2013 05:31 PM

I have the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with shock extensions. I think its a great setup and to be honest I think my jku rides and handles better with it. I have been offroading a few times with it and it handled the rocks very well. Just make sure if you install it yourself that you torque everything to spec. I drove almost 400 miles with a sway bar link extremely loose!

109 Rider 05-26-2013 06:01 PM

I went with the 2 inch AEV, because it's my daily driver.
I am very happy with it. If I ever change, it will be 2.5 inch AEV.
My only deciding point was that I wanted to go with something made in US.
You can't go wrong with the AEV.
Now I am very tempted to go Chinese with something else, and time will show.
I am on the fence between AEV rear bumper and tire carrier and Teraflex tire carrier.
Money is issue for me, and AEV is pricy, but it's killing me to start loading my Jeep with something made in China. It's not like I am not already surrounded enough with Chinese stuff.
If you can afford AEV, go with them and don't look back.

KurtVW 05-26-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 3794660)
well guys i know theres alot of aev haters out there along with a good following , think im going with the aev kit

Spyder, if you are primarily a street driver you want the drop brackets "Geometry Correction Kit"...

I ran mine for 3 weeks without it and it was a little twitchy and had a bit of bump-steer. However after the correction kit went on, the truck instantly became better than stock. Its the best $99 you'll ever spend, don't skip it.

As far as the concerns raised earlier about the brackets hurting clearance, it would really only matter if you're getting into pretty dicey terrain anyhow.. The bracket is about 1 inch below the frame rail. Really if you're not rock crawling, its probably never going to be a concern.

Take your time and Torque everything to spec -- Then retorque after a few hundred miles. And of course after any serious time off road, its a good habit to retorque (with any kit).

KurtVW 05-26-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 109 Rider (Post 3794819)
I went with the 2 inch AEV, because it's my daily driver.
I am very happy with it. If I ever change, it will be 2.5 inch AEV.
My only deciding point was that I wanted to go with something made in US.
You can't go wrong with the AEV.
Now I am very tempted to go Chinese with something else, and time will show.
I am on the fence between AEV rear bumper and tire carrier and Teraflex tire carrier.
Money is issue for me, and AEV is pricy, but it's killing me to start loading my Jeep with something made in China. It's not like I am not already surrounded enough with Chinese stuff.
If you can afford AEV, go with them and don't look back.

Pick your pieces carefully Rider -- AEV does make good stuff, but it is not always the best solution. The suspension definitely got me paying attention to them, but a lot of their other stuff is really pricey for a small improvement over other brands. Bumpers (in my opinion) are one of those things.

And while AEV puts a lot of effort into being "Made in the USA" even they will tell you that they are not 100%.. Their wheels are Chinese, and Bilstein shocks in your suspension kit are of course German.. What with Bilstein being German :whistling:

KurtVW 05-26-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieFace (Post 3793720)
Right behind flint, I'll tell you AEV is not a superior lift. I dont know how they get mentioned beside Teraflex and Rock Krawler.

AEV is a great company, and they make cool stuff, but when it comes to a lift, they are using the stock hardware and brackets. No misalignment arms.

If your going to spend the money, you want at least lower control arms that articulate. This keeps the cabin flat while you drive offroad. I dont know if the Rock Krawler Max travel 2.5 is less than 1000, but its close.

If you want real value for your money, Id look there.

I have the 2.5 X-Factor, changing all lower and upper control arms. the Max Travel 2.5 should work very similarly.

The RK Vs. Stock works for AEV, because we are talking about the arms misaligning to keep the cabin steady.

Here's another vid of just the lift's arms working under the truck.

Since im posting videos, here's a funny one where a friend drops mine on the cross member.

Wouldn't any suspension pretty much do the same with the sway bar endlinks disconnected? I didn't see anything in there that I haven't seen any suspension do with disconnects.