Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f258/)
-   -   Axle swap and new gears? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f258/axle-swap-and-new-gears-245040.html)

faultymechanics 05-25-2013 05:05 PM

Axle swap and new gears?

There is somebody selling the front and rear axles from a scout. They are both Dana 44's and they have the 2.73 gears in them. My jeep has a stroked 327 (basically 350) and the Dana 30 and Amc 20 in the back. Supposedly they are geared to 4.10 but I have a feeling they are also 2.73 based on the rpms I get.

Do you guys think 2.73 in the dana 44's with my engine would be good for highways and light trailing. It's a CJ-7.

Also it is on 33's

RubiconRich 06-03-2013 09:25 PM

No 2:73's are bad! look for 3:73's Pull the cover and check or spin the driveshaft and count the turns.

4Jeepn 06-04-2013 05:54 AM

2.73 would be bad...also make sure to check the spline count on the rear dana 44.. could be an odd ball... You stock axles are fine for 33's and if you have 1pc shafts the model 20 can handle the v8 with out much fuss.

lynn 06-04-2013 07:58 AM

Additionally, the caster on a Scout D44 is set at zero degrees. To use the Scout front D44 in your CJ, you would have to cut the knuckles from the axle tubes and rotate the "C" to about 6 positive caster, then reweld.
You "could" use shims between the perch and spring to avoid the cutting and welding, but you will probably compromise pinion angle with that large of shim.

As said, with some upgrades your D30/AMC20 can handle the V8 and 33s.

gcaughron 06-04-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn (Post 3823750)
Additionally, the caster on a Scout D44 is set at zero degrees. To use the Scout front D44 in your CJ, you would have to cut the knuckles from the axle tubes and rotate the "C" to about 6 positive caster, then reweld.
You "could" use shims between the perch and spring to avoid the cutting and welding, but you will probably compromise pinion angle with that large of shim.

As said, with some upgrades your D30/AMC20 can handle the V8 and 33s.

My buddy and I did a Scout axle swap on his '84 CJ-7. At first we tried shims but as Lynn posted the pinion angle was jacked. We cut off the knuckles and rotated it to give us the proper pinion angle. I wouldn't do this again. It was extremely time consuming and for that amount of work a d60 is a much better choice. My buddy's CJ-7 is running a fuel injected 383 and the only reason we did the swap was that his D30 had bent axle tubes. My '84 has a fuel injected 360 with a built D30 front and AMC 20 in the rear. I wheel it but don't try to kill it either. These axles have served us well for over 10 years.

faultymechanics 06-11-2013 10:42 AM

I think I will take your advice. The Jeep pulls to the right when braking so I was looking for a new axle since I would need new brakes anyways. I will be doing light trailing and daily driving so the swap to something better with calipers would be for braking on the street; I have read that discs don't make that much of a difference in the rear. Should i just stick with the AMC 20 and get new drums and shoes and call it a day for now?