Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Largest tire size for 1998 TJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/largest-tire-size-for-1998-tj-245579.html)

Bamadog 05-28-2013 01:12 PM

Largest tire size for 1998 TJ
 
What would be the largest size tires I could run without problems on a 1998
TJ using the factory suspension. Also, does anyone know if XD makes a 15" Rockstar rim? Thanks much!

Atthehop 05-28-2013 01:16 PM

I run 31.10.5x15's on Canyon wheels on a stock 04. Just add a couple of washers on each wheelstop to stop full turn rub.

269jeep 05-28-2013 01:27 PM

31x10.5x15 with proper backspacing.

Bielzebub 05-28-2013 01:38 PM

I would assume the same would be true for a '99? stock? Also, what gears do I need to put in to run those tires effectively with a 2.5l?

Bamadog 05-28-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 3800408)
I run 31.10.5x15's on Canyon wheels on a stock 04. Just add a couple of washers on each wheelstop to stop full turn rub.

Thank you.

Bamadog 05-28-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 269jeep (Post 3800431)
31x10.5x15 with proper backspacing.

Thank you!

RevCo666 05-28-2013 01:51 PM

I run 31x10.5R15 without lifts, could someone clarify what is meant by proper backspacing? I was under the impression nothing else is needed when running with 31x10.5R15? Sorry, but still learning here and I don't want to ruin my jeep if I can help it. Also, I have a 2001 TJ 4.0 on canyon rims.

Rommelx3 05-28-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3800506)
I run 31x10.5R15 without lifts, could someone clarify what is meant by proper backspacing? I was under the impression nothing else is needed when running with 31x10.5R15? Sorry, but still learning here and I don't want to ruin my jeep if I can help it. Also, I have a 2001 TJ 4.0 on canyon rims.


31.10.5x15's will be fine with stock setup
If I recall correctly less backspacing means wheels stick out further
more backspacing means wheels tuck in. Your canyons have 5.5 backspacing I think.

without proper backspacing your wheels will rub on full turns, you won't ruin your jeep.

Bielzebub 05-28-2013 01:59 PM

Yes, what's this with backspacing? I am running 29s right now and don't want to muck up my '99 when I move up to 31s.

RevCo666 05-28-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommelx3 (Post 3800528)
31.10.5x15's will be fine with stock setup
If I recall correctly less backspacing means wheels stick out further
more backspacing means wheels tuck in. Your canyons have 5.5 backspacing I think.

without proper backspacing your wheels will rub on full turns, you won't ruin your jeep.

you could probably run 33's and metal cloak fenders on a stock setup lol :punk:

Ok, I understand but I've turned my wheels at full crank and I haven't noticed any rubbing (that I am aware of of course since I'm not looking at myself when driving :) ) Also, your not talking about wheel spacers right? Where they would stick out beyond the flare?

Rommelx3 05-28-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3800551)
Ok, I understand but I've turned my wheels at full crank and I haven't noticed any rubbing (that I am aware of of course since I'm not looking at myself when driving :) ) Also, your not talking about wheel spacers right? Where they would stick out beyond the flare?


if you don't notice it you should be fine, you will definitely hear it/feel it!
I'm not referring to wheel spacers. That's an option but based on what you're saying it doesn't sound like you need spacers.

UnlimitedLJ04 05-28-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bielzebub (Post 3800531)
Yes, what's this with backspacing? I am running 29s right now and don't want to muck up my '99 when I move up to 31s.

more backspacing = mounting face of wheel is further out, and the tire is subsequently further inboard....giving a narrower stance.
less backspacing = mounting face of wheel is inset into the wheel more, and the tire is subsequently further outboard...giving a wider stance.


when talking about stock 29-30x9.5 tires, 5.5" backspacing is what the factory gives you. this works great.

as the tires get taller & wider, you start rubbing on the control arms when you turn, or on the spring bucket in the rear. The easy solution is to reduce the backspacing.

You do this either with wheel spacers, or wheels with less backspacing.

But now, when you decrease backspacing, you're pushing the tires further out. While this fixes the clearance problems described, it introduces new ones. Now, when you flex, the tire no longer tucks inside the fender, it now wants to rub on the steel lip or flare of the fender.

When talking about running 31x10.50R15's on stock suspension, there is a sweet spot of backspacing...where you have no rubbing, but the tires still fit inside the fender flare. Generally speaking, a 15x8 wheel with 5-5.25" backspacing will work perfectly. Most stock wheels are 15x8 or 15x7 with 5.5" backspacing, but you can make these work by adjusting the steering stops with washers so you don't rub the control arms when turning.

RevCo666 05-28-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommelx3 (Post 3800564)
if you don't notice it you should be fine, you will definitely hear it/feel it!
I'm not referring to wheel spacers. That's an option but based on what you're saying it doesn't sound like you need spacers.

Thanks for the clarification. My issue is that I'm hearing impaired so maybe I'll get someone to sit in the jeep and turn the wheels and I'll have a closer look visually... Thanks again!

Bamadog 05-29-2013 08:24 AM

Will my factory rims that has 235/75-15 tires be ok to mount 31/10.5/15 tires on.
Thanks

Bamadog 05-29-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamadog (Post 3803705)
Will my factory rims that has 235/75-15 tires be ok to mount 31/10.5/15 tires on.
Thanks

Will my factory rims that has 235/75-15 tires be ok to mount 31/10.5/15 tires on.
Thanks

Bamadog 05-29-2013 09:16 AM

Will my factory rims that has 235/75-15 tires be ok to mount 31/10.5/15 tires on.
Thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.