Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   How deep in water can my TJ go? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/how-deep-in-water-can-my-tj-go-245642.html)

FloridaTJ 05-28-2013 05:12 PM

How deep in water can my TJ go?
 
Just out of curiosity, at a stock height whats the deepest my Jeep can go in water? Is it just the intake that need to stay out of the water or are there vacuume lines that need to stay out as well?

Rkanon 05-28-2013 05:17 PM

Well, I'm a newbie but while I was in Virginia, I had water splash above my hood. Not totally recommended but it made it. I've also driven it in water up to half way up the doors. My buddie's CJ followed and died while in the water.

I have a stock 02 Wrangler X

IslandTJ 05-28-2013 05:24 PM

If you have a '97 -'02 model with a 3 speed auto, I wouldn't go deeper than the middle portion of your bellhousing. Your transmission breathing vent is just at the top part of your bellhousing.

PStov98TJ 05-28-2013 05:37 PM

Bottom of the rocker panel to the bottom of the door is pretty much the limit on most TJ's unless you extend the breather tubes.

Atthehop 05-28-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkanon (Post 3801257)
Well, I'm a newbie but while I was in Virginia, I had water splash above my hood. Not totally recommended but it made it. I've also driven it in water up to half way up the doors. My buddie's CJ followed and died while in the water.

I have a stock 02 Wrangler X

Have you checked your diff and trans fluids for water. If not you should ASAP.

BLK00TJ 05-28-2013 05:55 PM

I'm done when it touches my rocker panels. I hate mud and avoid it were possible.

jeepwayoflife 05-28-2013 06:13 PM

Only as high as your intake and breather tubes. If you ever go in water deeper than your axles, always check the engine, tranny, TC, and axles for water to be safe. Even if the water doesn't get past the breathers, it can still be sucked past seals because of the vacuum created by rapid cooling.

OlYellerTJ 05-28-2013 06:25 PM

I've had my '02 Sport up to the eyeballs in a water crossing (the beaver I flushed out of the bushes was NOT amused). FWIW, it's a manual and most of the breather tubes are as high as my intake, the ones I could find anyway. No problems so far. IIRC, I should be ok to ~30" of water, according to MY owner's manual. YMMV, and invariably will...

Johnboy11 05-28-2013 06:36 PM

If you have a '97 -'02 model with a 3 speed auto, I wouldn't go deeper than the middle portion of your bellhousing. Your transmission breathing vent is just at the top part of your bellhousing.

__________________


Ya I know this for a fact, it cost me 1500 bucks after i got water in my 3 speed auto. Now I avoid water totally

FloridaTJ 05-28-2013 07:25 PM

Where are the breather tubes at? And how difficult would it be to get them up high like near the intake? Are those the only things preventing the jeep from being able to go deeper in water (NOT mud)

Only reason I ask is because down here in Florida when it rains, it really rains and the streets often get really flooded where I'm at, naturally being a jeep owner I go in every puddle I see but I want to avoid damaging anything

KBR97 05-28-2013 07:35 PM

My TJ got stuck halfway up the doors one time. I later found out the rubber boot that goes around the shifter and the opening where it sits had a nice hole in it. I flushed muddy water out of my transmission for 2 weeks before coming to terms with the fact that the trans was screwed. :nonono:

Stay out of the water, or go buy a boat.

Jerry Bransford 05-28-2013 07:41 PM

The remote opening rubber vent lines that connect to the axles & transfer case of all TJs extend up to about the height of the top of the radiator.

Transmission-wise, some transmissions have remote opening rubber vent lines that open at or near the top of the radiator, other transmissions have vent openings in their cases but no vent lines which means water doesn't have to be deep to get inside.

1999 and older AX-15 5-speed transmissions behind the 4.0L engine do not have a remote vent line, just a vent opening on top that can let water in. All AX-5 transmissions are like that too, they were used behind the 2.5L four-banger used until the 2.4L engine was introduced. Don't submerge either of these transmissions.

2000 and newer manual transmissions behind the 4.0L engine have remote vent lines, those include the NV3550 5-speed and NGS370 6-speed. They are more able to traverse deep water.

All automatic transmissions used in 2002 and older TJs have a vent hole opening in front that is below the top of the transmission. Don't even come close to submerging them, they are the 32RH and 30RH automatics... 3-speeds.

All automatic transmissions used in 2003 and newer TJs are the 42RLE which has a remote vent line that keeps water out to about the top of the radiator.

Personally, I avoid water unless it's really shallow & I can't go around it. Our Jeeps are not boats, weren't designed to be submerged despite some TV ads to the contrary, and just don't have much chance of deep submersion without some sort of a major problem afterward.

FloridaTJ 05-28-2013 08:07 PM

I don't want to submerge my jeep I just wanted to know what the safest amount of water I can drive in is, and I just want to move the vent lines up so if in the situation I could go through deep water if I have to. But everyone has given me some great feedback, I really appreciate it, thanks

Dextreme 05-28-2013 10:47 PM

I don't like to go deeper that the bumpers because then the fan start slapping the water. Check diffs, xfercase, and tranny for water afterwards.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...0908121740.jpg

Rkanon 05-29-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 3801349)
Have you checked your diff and trans fluids for water. If not you should ASAP.

I haven't. I drove her 2,000 miles across the country pretty soon after too. Virginia to Montana. That's probably a good project for tomorrow though. Will I have to elevate it for the differentials or is it possible to do it without?

RevCo666 05-29-2013 12:18 AM

This vid might answer some questions :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UErn_vDzT0g

mrpotatohead 05-29-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3802950)
This vid might answer some questions :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UErn_vDzT0g

I actually watched the whole thing :/

RevCo666 05-29-2013 12:28 AM

Sorry, had to break up the seriousness for a moment... lol

eagle223 05-29-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3801815)
The remote opening rubber vent lines that connect to the axles & transfer case of all TJs extend up to about the height of the top of the radiator.

Transmission-wise, some transmissions have remote opening rubber vent lines that open at or near the top of the radiator, other transmissions have vent openings in their cases but no vent lines which means water doesn't have to be deep to get inside.

1999 and older AX-15 5-speed transmissions behind the 4.0L engine do not have a remote vent line, just a vent opening on top that can let water in. All AX-5 transmissions are like that too, they were used behind the 2.5L four-banger used until the 2.4L engine was introduced. Don't submerge either of these transmissions.

2000 and newer manual transmissions behind the 4.0L engine have remote vent lines, those include the NV3550 5-speed and NGS370 6-speed. They are more able to traverse deep water.

All automatic transmissions used in 2002 and older TJs have a vent hole opening in front that is below the top of the transmission. Don't even come close to submerging them, they are the 32RH and 30RH automatics... 3-speeds.

All automatic transmissions used in 2003 and newer TJs are the 42RLE which has a remote vent line that keeps water out to about the top of the radiator.

Personally, I avoid water unless it's really shallow & I can't go around it. Our Jeeps are not boats, weren't designed to be submerged despite some TV ads to the contrary, and just don't have much chance of deep submersion without some sort of a major problem afterward.

Can you install a remote breather onto the AX15 manual trans?

boosh71 05-29-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle223 (Post 3803021)
Can you install a remote breather onto the AX15 manual trans?

I would like to know if this is doable as well. I'd like to prepare my Jeep "just in case" I ever have to go through deeper water.

AVtj03 05-29-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3802950)
This vid might answer some questions :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UErn_vDzT0g


hey, this is a TJ forum!:rofl:

Jerry Bransford 05-29-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle223 (Post 3803021)
Can you install a remote breather onto the AX15 manual trans?

Yes that has been done. They remove the OE vent button, drill then thread the opening, & screw in a barbed hose fitting. Tricky to keep the metal shavings during the drilling & tapping operation from falling down inside though.

Vinman 05-29-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3801815)
2000 and newer manual transmissions behind the 4.0L engine have remote vent lines, those include the NV3550 5-speed and NGS370 6-speed. They are more able to traverse deep water.

.

My 2005 6 spd and the 6 spd out of the 2006 I just parted out did not have extended vent lines, simply a vent mounted in the shift tower.
FWIW, both are Rubicons.

SCBeachKop 05-29-2013 11:26 AM

Its a Jeep....not a U-Boat...LOL

Jerry Bransford 05-29-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinman (Post 3804195)
My 2005 6 spd and the 6 spd out of the 2006 I just parted out did not have extended vent lines, simply a vent mounted in the shift tower.
FWIW, both are Rubicons.

Good to know, I thought the 6-speed also had the remote vent line like the NV3550 has.

Huelsmma 05-29-2013 11:38 AM

So you're saying that my other factory suv that cost 3x the amount can submerge itself in more water than my jeep? And still function??

All Terrain JK 05-29-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3804313)
Good to know, I thought the 6-speed also had the remote vent line like the NV3550 has.

My son's '00 Sport with the NV3550 does not have a remote vent either. Just a plastic nub on the top side of the case. I know this cause he hydro-locked it two weeks ago. At that point we tracked down all the vents and changed all the fluids.

Jerry Bransford 05-29-2013 12:58 PM

They must have added the vent hose later, a local TJ with the NV3550 I worked on one day had one.

03ShaleGreenSahara 06-07-2013 09:51 AM

I dont like to go much deeper than this. I have a two inch BB with 32" tires.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...7179765258.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MaJe...tml?sort=3&o=3

Marcwakefield22 06-07-2013 09:57 AM

So how can you tell if yours has a remote vent or not? And what does that mean? It might have been said earlier but I'm at work so I'm only about to skim through the stuff. I have an 05 4.0 6 speed. This weekend I had water up about 2 1/2 inches on the door. It was very sketchy. I wanted to take a picture but I was about to stop or open my doors! Haha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.