Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   AEV 2.5 Home Install Questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/aev-2-5-home-install-questions-245839.html)

skokie 05-29-2013 02:42 PM

AEV 2.5 Home Install Questions
 
Currently in Indy and am going to install 2.5 AEV on the JKU. I know NOTHING about vehicles, etc, but I have a good friend who is quite knowledgeable. He has put some lift kits on his older wranglers. Haven't found anyone outside of 4WD that do Wrangler lifts around here, so we are going to do it ourselves. I apologize for the stupid questions beforehand.

* Can i run stock wheels/tires on the AEV 2.5 lift until I get to Discount Tire for the new ones to be installed? Will Discount Tire know proper backspacing and all of those issues when I bring in my vehicle or do i need to do that research for them?

* Is the best idea to sell stock JKU Sport wheels/tires craigslist?

* Anyone in Indy that knows of local shops that are reputable for work?

michiganadam 05-29-2013 03:00 PM

you need to research. Why wouldnt you be able to run stock wheels and tires? It wont even look bad. My jeep had a similar lift and stock tires when i bought it. I thought it looked good.

Dont expect anyone to research your wheels for you. Thats a good way to waste money on stuff you cant use. I run cragar soft 8s in 15x8 with a 4 inch backspace And ground my calipers down...

You could even use stock wheeks with spacers but these wheels cost about the same as the spacers lol

skokie 05-29-2013 03:30 PM

Was just asking if anyone had experience with running stock wheels and if they needed to use spacers. Part if my research was asking in this forum, as I found most people helpful here...but not all.

michiganadam 05-29-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skokie (Post 3804831)
Was just asking if anyone had experience with running stock wheels and if they needed to use spacers. Part if my research was asking in this forum, as I found most people helpful here...but not all.

Hope you arent trying to say im not helpful. Its just that ive seen the question before and it makes me scratch my head every time. You dont need spacers for the lift. You will need spacers to run wider tires, like my 33x12.5s. You could get skinny but tall tires but they look funny if you ask me. Your factory tires have a 6.5 inch backspace. You need a 4 inch or so or less. 5x5 bolt pattern. 16 inch wheels will clear the brake calipers, 15s like i have have issues hitting the calipers depending on individual wheels and jeeps. I had to grind my calipers. 15s have cheaper tires.

Theres your research. Dont count on discount tire doing it for you, was what i meant by my comment on doing your research. I bet they wouldve told me my wheels wouldnt fit my jeep :) and well, they dont..without grinding the calipers. I did buy my tires at discount and have them mount them on the wheels but i didnt take the jeep there because it didnt run at the time. I like their service and i tried really hard to get a price for them to match but they were cheapest

Search the forum for your specific wheel before buying it though.

kjeeper10 05-29-2013 05:25 PM

I don't know about AEV, but TF recommends spacers running stock wheels. Reason the longer rear sway bar link hitting the wheels. I don't see this being any different with any other lift. Stock sport/Sahara wheels are in abundance.'they will sell if you don't ask for a lot IMO.

Just make sure you have all the tools ready for the job. Jack and stands along with metric open end wrenches/sockets up to 22 mm. A torque wrench is also very important. Check my Harbor freight thread out in the Sticky area for tools.

One of the most important steps some often do incorrectly. After the lift is installed
Loosen or keep loose all control arms and both track bars. Shake jeep/Jump up and down on bumpers. Then torque all the bolts with tires on the ground or stands on the axles. What you are doing is freeing the bind put on the bushings when you lifted.

That's all I got. Take a look around. There's a lot of good info already on the forum :thumb:

kjeeper10 05-29-2013 05:28 PM

And yes, discount tire knows what will fit and what won't as far as what they have available.
Not all 15's work. All 16's and bigger do.
Tires are cheaper with 15's so it's a popular option. Backspace 4.5 or less is what you want.

guppy 05-29-2013 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
skokie
AEV 2.5 lift works with stock wheels and tires.
Here is a picture of my AEV 2.5 with stockers.
I did my lift install by myself, and it is not difficult. You will make the job so much easier if you have an impact wrench, a breaker bar, and floor jack.

guppy 05-29-2013 06:34 PM

Just a couple tips that will save you some time.
When you are finishing up on the rear end wait to put the bump stops on until you have put the jeep back on the ground (weight on wheels). Torque all your bolts then put the bump stops on. If you do it as per the instructions the blocks for the bump stops will be in your way for the torque wrench.
Then you move to the front and if you have a 2013 the brake line bracket is a bear to get off the brake line. Leave the bracket installed and bend it with vise grips until it opens up enough to free the brake line.

guppy 05-29-2013 06:40 PM

And it is a valid question you ask in your research efforts. You will find not all people that give you answers know what they are talking about as some 2.5 lifts do require spacers for stock wheels. Teraflex 2.5 BB lift does not work with factory tire wheel combo without spacers for one.

guppy 05-29-2013 06:47 PM

JK GEOMETRY CORRECTION FRONT CONTROL ARM DROP BRACKETS
I highly recommend these in addition to your lift.
It will be $99.00 well spent.

dkeown 05-30-2013 06:40 AM

I just put the same AEV lift on my 2012 JKU last weekend. I had some minimal mechanical experience and did it all by myself. It really wasnt too bad if you have the right tools. Air tools will speed things up greatly. Just take your time because the instructions are a little vague and you have to do some problem solving along the way (front passenger shock). This forum had several threads with tips to get you through some of the issues. You dont need spacers to run stock. I am keeping my stock wheels and tires until the originals wear out.

michiganadam 05-30-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppy (Post 3805408)
And it is a valid question you ask in your research efforts. You will find not all people that give you answers know what they are talking about as some 2.5 lifts do require spacers for stock wheels. Teraflex 2.5 BB lift does not work with factory tire wheel combo without spacers for one.

How do spacers in the springs require wheel spacers?

kjeeper10 05-30-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3807213)

How do spacers in the springs require wheel spacers?

The vehicle is being lifted which require longer swaybar links. The links can contact the wheel.

guppy 05-30-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3804750)
you need to research.

Has nothing to do with the spacers on top of the springs.

stzd8 05-30-2013 10:39 AM

make sure the brake lines on the front wheels don't make contact with anything moving. Or it will eat up the line in time.

skokie 05-30-2013 01:40 PM

thanks for all of your input! super helpful.

5150Rubicon 07-23-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3805184)
And yes, discount tire knows what will fit and what won't as far as what they have available.
Not all 15's work. All 16's and bigger do.
Tires are cheaper with 15's so it's a popular option. Backspace 4.5 or less is what you want.

kjeeper10, totally not disagreeing with you (or arguing). Just have a question. Everything I've read also says 4.5 or less. But....AEV Sevegre Wheels are built specifically for the JK and have 5.2" backspacing. No rubbing (according to them). I really like these and want to buy them. Just doing some final research. Any thoughts? A ton of people run them but I've never had any responses to my ?s about them :thumb:

kjeeper10 07-23-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3992994)

kjeeper10, totally not disagreeing with you (or arguing). Just have a question. Everything I've read also says 4.5 or less. But....AEV Sevegre Wheels are built specifically for the JK and have 5.2" backspacing. No rubbing (according to them). I really like these and want to buy them. Just doing some final research. Any thoughts? A ton of people run them but I've never had any responses to my ?s about them :thumb:

Good question. AEV for the most part is built for overland. (Not rock crawling/flexing)
I would think there would be rubbing issues off road.
Right now my swaybar links in the rear come very close to the tire and wheel w/ 4.5.

Dunno.... Wish I can give a honest answer. Those wheels are way to expensive to beat on the rocks IMO.

jadmt 07-23-2013 09:14 AM

AEV wheels do not rub with their lifts. Guys at AEV's R&D shop which is 3 miles from my house all have AEV rigs and some are running 37's and most are on 35's.

kjeeper10 07-23-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3993218)
AEV wheels do not rub with their lifts. Guys at AEV's R&D shop which is 3 miles from my house all have AEV rigs and some are running 37's and most are on 35's.

Understood. But what if flexed ?

5150Rubicon 07-23-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3993184)
Good question. AEV for the most part is built for overland. (Not rock crawling/flexing)
I would think there would be rubbing issues off road.
Right now my swaybar links in the rear come very close to the tire and wheel w/ 4.5.

Dunno.... Wish I can give a honest answer. Those wheels are way to expensive to beat on the rocks IMO.

Ken,
I just went out to look at my jeep. I might be misunderstanding you...but my rear swaybar links seem to be well within the diameter of the 17" stock wheel. What I mean is, at stock set up...there is no way they could make contact with the wheel/rim, and the links are not long enough to even potentially hit the tire (entire link within inside diameter of wheel). So...in my thinking (course' I have no idea what I'm talking about :D) the Sevegre will be 1"+ FARTHER away from the sway bar link with a 5.2" backspacing (stock is 6.5 I think). I'm just confused and hoping you can shed some light on that. Thanks!

KurtieR 07-23-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppy (Post 3805373)
skokie
AEV 2.5 lift works with stock wheels and tires.
Here is a picture of my AEV 2.5 with stockers.
I did my lift install by myself, and it is not difficult. You will make the job so much easier if you have an impact wrench, a breaker bar, and floor jack.

Looks great buddy! I bought a 3inch BDS that I put on my sahara. I ended up getting 33s to fill a little space but it looks very similar. I sold that jeep about 2 weeks ago and now have a 2.5 coming for my 2 door rubicon. I'm also thinking about leaving my stickers for now as I don't mind the look of the mud terrains.

kjeeper10 07-23-2013 10:54 AM

The links are raised the amount of the lift (or more) Also... when flexed, one side raises and other side lowers.

County98 07-23-2013 11:19 AM

I'm certainly not very knowledgeable in this, but did my AEV 2.5" myself a few weeks ago.

You'll be fine with stockers for all but most extreme flex at full lock. Even then they might only recommend spacers so you don't rub the plastic airdam a little (just a wild guess).

Get the Geo brackets.

Get the breaker bar, torque wrench, and wrenches/sockets up through 22 mm as already mentioned.

Give yourself 2 days so you can learn and have fun.

The AEV wheels are nice and hub centric which is a little bonus. I have 4.5" backspacing and 33's and they BARELY stick out from the flares. I would guess that AEV brings them in .7" to sell 50 state legal for the "must be under the fender" laws.

My advice is to call AEV and ask. They're pretty helpful.

Oh! Download the most current directions from the AEV site, they update all the time.

5150Rubicon 07-23-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3993499)
The links are raised the amount of the lift (or more) Also... when flexed, one side raises and other side lowers.

Ken, the links being raised in the front make sense to me (bc of the link brackets that AEV provides)...but I don't understand how they are raised in the back. I believe you...I just don't understand :) One end of the link is attached to the axle, and one to the sway bar. When increasing the distance between axle and undercarriage (lift)...how can the link get raised?

On flex I get it...because the sway bar "bends" right?

Thanks so much...the info you have provided and the things you've made me think through are invaluable!

kjeeper10 07-23-2013 11:39 AM

All 4 links should be longer to set the swaybars parallel to the ground or -5 to +5.
Does AEV use some kind of bracket for the front ?

5150Rubicon 07-23-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3993661)
All 4 links should be longer to set the swaybars parallel to the ground or -5 to +5.
Does AEV use some kind of bracket for the front ?

For the front, AEV uses brackets to raise the stock swaybar links to compensate for the 2.5" lift, because the stock links/bushings are quality. In the back though...unless I missed it....I don't think the links get changed. They don't on any 2.5 inch lift do they? I don't remember seeing them on TF either...could be wrong.

kjeeper10 07-23-2013 11:56 AM

Oh yes. Some kits replace the rear and move the stocks to the front.
My highsteer kit actually raises the fronts. But I kept them in the stock location not running quick discos

The front can be damaged (taco'd) running shorter links if using the Rubi disco.

The swaybars get put trough a lot of torsional stress off road,

5150Rubicon 07-23-2013 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=kjeeper10;3993731]

The front can be damaged (taco'd) running shorter links if using the Rubi disco.

QUOTE]

How come? If they are disconnected, aren't they just sitting there, not under any stress?

kjeeper10 07-23-2013 12:16 PM

Disconnected you are ok.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.