debating a dj5d
Theres a dj5d for sale near me that was just retired from mail duty 3 months ago. Runs and supposedly the only thing wrong with it is a little "surface rust" and the stereo and gas gauge dont work. Theyre asking 1 big one.
It has a dana 44 with a posi and a chrysler 727 automatic and a 232 amc straight six
Is it a sin to mod one? Will i go to hell? I think itd be fun to take to a drive through. Since it has surface rust, i assume there are multiple rust holes. I have no pics yet.
Waiting for pics :pop:
- I liked mine so much I bought a second one :)
- 232 is a trooper, and the 727 isn't horrible either
- never seen one in civilian hands that wasn't modded.
- see them start in the 1k-2k range, but they always wind up far below 1K (mine was $400 with zero haggling)
- finding parts is... interesting.
- If you don't want to acquire some fabricating skills and tools, you might want to skip it ;) the lack of aftermarket (and even OEM) support will turn you into MacGyver in short order.
- before long, you'll be trying to figure out why you're seriously considering a $350 HEI upgrade for your $400 jeep... (if/when you get there, just buy it... SO worth it)
- a DJ5 at freeway speeds is alarming. worse than any CJ5 I've seen. (that may be due to extreme mileage though)
- It's great fun, but the questions will come non stop, and some are retarded...
I have 2 right handers, and have had my DJ for 10 years or so. If you have any questions/concerns, fire away ;)
im used to bad oem support causing macgyver solutions. I drive a mopar after all (jk).
I wonder why the djs are so bad on the highway...
I think id chop the top in the style of those scions.....think itd look great...
seen a few chopped ones, but only in terms of removing the roof to make it look like a CJ5.
I think mine is bad on the freeway because it delivered mail 6 days a week for 30 years, so the springs got some pretty ridiculous mileage on them. I was told the speedo rolled over twice before it broke in 1995, so 279K plus 5 more years of delivering mail, plus 10 years of me owning it...
I usually call that "easily over 300K miles", but it's probably closer to 400K :)
the engine got swapped in '81 to a 232, and despite some obvious wear and tear (all the pushrods are different lengths for example...), it's still going like a champ.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.|
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.