Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Cam Phasers gone bad, less than 5k miles! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/cam-phasers-gone-bad-less-than-5k-miles-246007.html)

nitroz680 05-30-2013 07:57 AM

Cam Phasers gone bad, less than 5k miles!

Fellow Jeepers,

I have had my '13 JKU Sahara since 3/8 (less than 3 months!). When i got the jeep, as far as I was concerned, Jeep could do no wrong.

Come about 4000 miles, my check engine light goes on, and I say "Hey no problem, thats got to be the Jeep telling me I need an oil change, I'm due for one anyways".

Jeep dealership tells me my engine light was tripped by my camshaft phasers...

They mentioned there was a "software update", so they apparently flashed my system and the codes went away for a few thousand miles. Here I am this morning driving to work and the engine light comes back on. I stop at the dealer and they say the same code is tripped. They scheduled me for a shop visit to replace the cam phasers. I read some other threads of people having trouble with the Pentastar motor, and I saw some cam phaser troubles. So, its happened before.

I'm not sure what to think now...could this be dealer incompetence or does Jeep just have issues with this motor?

jannikt 05-30-2013 08:28 AM

It's a Chrysler / Fiat. What else where you expecting? Chrysler is the least reliable among all major car manufacturers. Their quality sucks.

nitroz680 05-30-2013 08:39 AM

I figured i'd get more than 5k miles before i had anything based on probability alone...guess not

jceo 05-30-2013 08:43 AM

Nitro, What was the code? Just curious, my 2013 was running very rough yesterday and the light came on. I had three codes: one related to multiple cylinder misfire and two related to camshaft position sensor. It is at the dealer today. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...ed-245770.html

nitroz680 05-30-2013 08:45 AM

unfortunately I didnt get the code number this morning from the guy that ran it, he only confirmed it was the same code as the code that registered last time I had it in there. I believe my cam phasers are either out of phase or have gone bad. Or i could be an idiot and have no idea what im talking about.

legitposter 05-30-2013 12:43 PM

Your cam phasers are out of phase? You've been watching too much star trek.

Blastek 05-30-2013 12:49 PM

:hide: :hide: hmm cam phasers were a problem on the very early pentastars. Odd that it's back. Let's hope it wasn't a multiple misfire code.

jceo, please keep your outcome updated. I'm very interested to see if they go for a new head.

Up Hill Bill 05-30-2013 12:55 PM

IF I recall correctly - which is anything but a sure thing - in the early days of the well known Pentastar head issue, cam phaser problems were cited as a possible cause. Dealers tried a flash update for the phasers, cleared the codes, and sent people on their way. When the MIL came on again, they then replaced the drivers side head.

Anybody else remember it that way?

jceo 05-30-2013 10:34 PM

Blastek, the dealer was diagnosing the issue today and they are still working on it. They ran a bunch of diagnostics and ended up contacting the Chrysler engineers. My service advisor told me it could be a head issue and they are waiting to hear back. The mechanic heard back from Chrysler and they are going to run more diagnostics and likely replace the cam phasers. I'll keep everyone updated. Interesting that Nitro and I are having similar issues.

Martin10 05-30-2013 10:57 PM

That sucks guys. Is this a common issue?

Blastek 05-30-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jceo (Post 3810113)
Blastek, the dealer was diagnosing the issue today and they are still working on it. They ran a bunch of diagnostics and ended up contacting the Chrysler engineers. My service advisor told me it could be a head issue and they are waiting to hear back. The mechanic heard back from Chrysler and they are going to run more diagnostics and likely replace the cam phasers. I'll keep everyone updated. Interesting that Nitro and I are having similar issues.

Thanks for the update! I hope your issue gets resolved. We've all been very focused on the '13s after all the 2012 head issues. Good luck, sir!

nitroz680 05-31-2013 03:07 PM

From reading other threads on this forum, it seems like this has happened before.

In general, my ride quality is unaffected, i havent noticed a rougher ride or rough idling. I have noticed that ECO mode is never achieved anymore, not sure what thats about.

Leads me to believe that my issue is all electronic and not mechanical.

jceo 06-01-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 3808330)
:hide: :hide: hmm cam phasers were a problem on the very early pentastars. Odd that it's back. Let's hope it wasn't a multiple misfire code.

Blastek, is the multiple misfire code (P0300 I think) a sure sign of head problem/failure? Thanks

Binx 06-01-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroz680 (Post 3807585)
I figured i'd get more than 5k miles before i had anything based on probability alone...guess not

Im in the same probability pool as you with less than 5k and issues, granted mine is not the ticking head. Chrysler engineers are boobs, they just throw random parts at common problems that doesnt result in a fix. Good luck with what they do.

Blastek 06-01-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jceo (Post 3814564)
Blastek, is the multiple misfire code (P0300 I think) a sure sign of head problem/failure? Thanks

not necessarily. the misfire code could be caused by something else, like a fault in the injection or ignition system, a stuck valve, or other issue. Most of the people that have had their head replaced ended up with a P30x misfire code on the left cylinder bank, though.

nitroz680 06-05-2013 07:54 AM

the Jeep has been in the shop for 2 days and the dealership is still on the horn with Chrysler engineers regarding the problem. The service manager said the cam sensors were verified to be working properly. Further compounding the confusion is that the code that caused the check engine light is a stored code, meaning the problem happened once but is no longer happening.

wtf

jceo 06-05-2013 09:08 AM

Nitro, Similar situation here. They determined the cam phasers were bad and are replacing them. I should be picking it up today so I will let you know the outcome. I also have a 2013 JKU Sahara that I got in March. Ours were probably going down the assembly line together and got the same batch of engines. That could explain why we are having the same issues. I know how much it sucks not having your Jeep. I have been having anxiety driving the loaner car hehe.

live_slow 06-05-2013 10:30 AM

Hope it gets resolved. Subscribed.

jceo 06-06-2013 08:35 AM

Blastek, Nitro, Everyone: Here is an update on my situation. I have my 2013 back and it seems to be running well although I feel a slight rough idle occasionally. The dealer went through quite a bit of diagnosis and opened a Star case with Chrysler. The mechanic is a fellow Jeeper and quite sharp. They replaced both cam phasers, cam gear and both camshafts on the left head. They found flat spots on the camshafts which they have never seen before. Has anyone heard of this before? I am keeping my fingers crossed. Only around 2500 miles.

nitroz680 06-06-2013 08:42 AM

Jceo,

what was the total time in the shop? My Jeep has been in the shop since monday and by now its thursday. After all the work performed on your vehicle, it seems discouraging that I'll get mine back today :nonono: :banghead:

jceo 06-06-2013 10:13 AM

Nitro, it was there from last Thursday to this past Wednesday so 7 days but that is including the weekend. They had to order the parts. I know how you feel. Any updates on yours? I am curious to see if it is the exact same or a similar issue.

nitroz680 06-06-2013 11:56 AM

well, i guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with. They told me the day i brought it in that my rental car was paid for for a total of 5 days, and if this goes any longer tomorrow, i'll exceed my 5 days. Think i have any leverage over them to not pay the additional days?

jceo 06-06-2013 02:17 PM

I think you should have some leverage on the rental car. You bought a brand new $30k plus vehicle and are now without it. It is the least they can do.

SilverSport 06-06-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroz680 (Post 3832124)
well, i guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with. They told me the day i brought it in that my rental car was paid for for a total of 5 days, and if this goes any longer tomorrow, i'll exceed my 5 days. Think i have any leverage over them to not pay the additional days?

You should definitely have leverage. All the dealer has to do is get Jeep Customer Assistance to authorize the additional charges for the extra days.

nitroz680 06-06-2013 02:32 PM

Yea, just got a call from the dealership. They have been in contact with Chrysler, and the dingdongs at Chrysler think its a fuel quality issue, they had the nerve to ask me where I was filling up my tank of gas and with what grade...its a friggen Jeep, not a lambo, this thing should run off dog piss!

The dealership told me that there is no mechanical wear indications and the codes are all erroneously tripped. The engine thinks it is misfiring on cold start when they said they verified it isnt. Needless to say, it wont be ready today. I mentioned that i've heard of this issue before and that a colleague (that'd be you Jceo) had to have his cam shafts replaced, and the dealer insisted there was no mechanical wear, this is exclusively an electronic malfunction.

I asked what was going to happen with my rental agreement tomorrow when I reach my 5th day, and before i could finish the sentence he told me to not even worry about it, they'd get me covered, so at least that's encouraging.

jceo 06-10-2013 12:29 PM

Any updates Nitro?

nitroz680 06-11-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jceo (Post 3845204)
Any updates Nitro?

Jceo, sorry for the delay, I've been crazy busy with work and school. Good news is that the dealer returned my Jeep with the check engine light off. The bad news is that it took them 5 days to determine they didnt know the cause.

There seems to be some red herrings but my general feeling is that I just had/have an electronic issue and it will have to manifest itself again before it can be fixed.

I got it back Friday afternoon and drove it all weekend with no trouble, I was in serious Jeep withdrawal. In fact, I have some bonding planned for this weekend, maybe a nice wash, hopefully install a "new-to-me" 430 head unit, and more shirtless, topless Jeepin!

jceo 06-11-2013 11:40 AM

Glad to hear you have your Jeep back! You're right, it is probably an electronic issue that will have to manifest itself again for proper diagnosis. Enjoy the Jeep bonding this weekend and keep us posted if anything new happens :)

scipio337 06-18-2013 10:07 AM

Jeep is 4 days old, < 300 miles, check engine light is on with P0300 code.

Argh!!!

nitroz680 06-18-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scipio337 (Post 3872813)
Jeep is 4 days old, < 300 miles, check engine light is on with P0300 code.

Argh!!!

Dude...that sucks. But with your engine being that new, I'm guessing that HAS to be electronic. Any difference in ride characteristics?