Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Ammo can mounted on bumper (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/ammo-can-mounted-on-bumper-246478.html)

fishhouse 06-01-2013 03:56 PM

Ammo can mounted on bumper

5 Attachment(s)
So I bought a new bumper a few weeks ago - the Smitybilt SRC Stinger for JK. I hope to get a Warn winch one day...but the thought of spending $700 on a winch right now just gives me the chills! :eek:

Anwyays, the bumper has a cool recessed plate for a winch but it just looked really odd to me with nothing there. I got the idea of putting some sort of storage box there instead.

Basically solving 3 needs at once:
A) more storage that I desperately need and
B) filling that gapping whole on the bumper with something and
C) being cheap and bad a$$.

I convert old military surplus ammunition boxes (aka: ammo cans) to cigar humidors as a side hobby business - so I have a ton of ammo cans of various sizes laying around.

I tossed up a 40mm ammo can that in it's previous life held these and it fit perfectly! A "Fat 50" or even a 50 cal size fit as well.

So, I was off to the hardware store and picked up a series of nuts and bolts to create a stud through the holes already in the bumper. After drilling matching holes in the bottom of the ammo can, it sits right on the posts and then I have wing nuts on the inside so it's easy to put on and off. I used rubber bushings so it's still completely waterproof.

Provides a surprising amount of space for my tow ropes, chains, ratchet straps, hatchet, folding shovel and more. I'll probably spray it with some black bedliner to match my blue and black color scheme. :)

It only sticks up an inch or so above the grill with a good 2 inches or so between - so shouldn't be any air flow restriction issues.

My favorite mods are the cheap, homemade ones! :D

Beastmaster 06-01-2013 05:04 PM

Great idea, if I didn't have a winch, I'd go for it.

CoyoteOn2 06-01-2013 05:04 PM

Storage looks good, but Flip Flops NOT RECOMMENDED for Off Highway attire. ☺

damndirtydog 06-01-2013 05:05 PM

Good Idea. You should think about bed lining it black to match the bumper.

jeepers29 06-01-2013 05:05 PM

Nice, but you better put some locks on that or it will be empty.

Barmanvarn 06-01-2013 05:06 PM

I've been thinking of doing something like this as well. Hate that all my recovery gear takes up so much space in the jeep.

Would love to have some external storage options.

Been meaning to call tuffy and ask them to come up with a line of external storage boxes.

PrecisionPowder 06-01-2013 05:33 PM

what would be nice if people started making bumpers with integrated toolboxes/storage again. it wouldnt really be all that hard and you would have an out of the way tool box that doesnt look out of place

Barmanvarn 06-01-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by precisionpowder (Post 3815315)
what would be nice if people started making bumpers with integrated toolboxes/storage again. It wouldnt really be all that hard and you would have an out of the way tool box that doesnt look out of place

x2

fishhouse 06-03-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoyoteOn2 (Post 3815235)
Storage looks good, but Flip Flops NOT RECOMMENDED for Off Highway attire. ☺

:angel:

Quote:

Originally Posted by damndirtydog (Post 3815240)
Good Idea. You should think about bed lining it black to match the bumper.

Yep, that's the plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepers29 (Post 3815241)
Nice, but you better put some locks on that or it will be empty.

There are a few different lock options on the market - need to pick up one for sure. Luckily I live in a really small town so don't have to worry too much.

ratchettt 06-03-2013 01:04 PM

Very clever

and looks bad a$$ to boot. Good thinking.