Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   8-9k winch for $300 or less? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/8-9k-winch-for-300-or-less-246610.html)

nolefansjeep 06-02-2013 08:55 AM

8-9k winch for $300 or less?
 
OK my next project on my 05 TJ is to install a winch. I am looking for a winch that is good quality for $300 or less. Would love to have synthetic line but I know that is pushing it for that price range. What ones are out there for that price that you guys know of and have had good luck with? The Jeep won't be off road too often but when it is I want back up so I am not stranded.

Mr3 06-02-2013 09:11 AM

Harbor freight has a badlands 12k winch for $300 with the coupon. If I had the spare cash I'd buy it.

Jaxon1023 06-02-2013 09:26 AM

Smittybilt 8k is 299.99

TJDave 06-02-2013 10:01 AM

Check out Quadratecs winches. Even though they have only been out for a couple years, I have not read any really bad reviews on one yet.

I did not have such good luck with my Smitty XRC8 I bought new for $299.00. It was hard to free-spool out, and was slow and loud. It eventually died before it's second birthday. I am not saying all Smitty's are bad. Many have had good luck with them. I just was not one of those people, with only moderate use. Just my experience, take it for what it's worth.

You could always bank the money and hold out for a used Warn on Craigslist or something like that. Be ready to jump on it as soon as it's posted. They don't last very long in the for sale sections.

That is what I ended up doing when I found a used XD9000i. It's over 10 yrs old, fast, quiet, and it free-spools out like the cable was sitting on the ground. Night and day performance wise that I didn't even realize because my Smitty was the first winch I ever bought. The Warn has been on my Jeep for two years now, and hasn't skipped a beat. It saved my a$$ from rolling down the mountain when I slid off a snow covered ledge last month.

A winch is definitely something you want to work, when you really need it to work.

Good luck with your search.

CJChet 06-02-2013 10:16 AM

I bought a 10k winch from Harbor Freight because it was such a good price. Three years later I now have a Warn, GET IT!

XDR 06-02-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJChet (Post 3817096)
I bought a 10k winch from Harbor Freight because it was such a good price. Three years later I now have a Warn, GET IT!

HF winches are terrible, any moister (rain) ceases them up and 10k was pretty rough running. You get what you pay for.

solman 06-02-2013 10:35 AM

"Good quality winch" and "$300" don't belong in the same sentence unless your looking at a 2k winch for a car trailer.

scot68 06-02-2013 10:59 AM

Just so you know any new winch at that price point will be made in China. I second the used Warn idea but If that's not an option can you increase your budget by $50.00? A couple people in my club have Superwinch Tigershark 9.5 series and they seem to be happy with them.

Superwinch 1595200 Tiger Shark 9.5, 12 VDC winch, 9,500 lb/4,309 kg capacity with roller fairlead:Amazon:Automotive

IndyJeepMan 06-02-2013 11:01 AM

Synthetic line alone is almost $300 lol.

Save up 200 more ponies and buy a entry level warn.

Jerry Bransford 06-02-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solman (Post 3817138)
"Good quality winch" and "$300" don't belong in the same sentence unless your looking at a 2k winch for a car trailer.

X2. There's a reason an 8-9k winch would be that cheap and it isn't for its good quality. Will it work a while? Probably. Maybe. Maybe it'll quit right when you need it to work... place your bets ladies & gentlemen.

Not to mention I HATE sending discretionary $$$ to China where literally all the cheap winches come from.

Usnrubi143 06-02-2013 11:35 AM

i just bought a Q series 9500 lbs with syn line for 499 from q-tec ... wont get to use till sept.. gotta love uncle sam vacations :):dance:

sakicnut 06-02-2013 01:09 PM

Harbor Freight winch has done everything I've needed it too. I picked mine up for $376 with plate and extended warranty. Two of my closest friends run 8500 rugged ridge winches and they do really really good too.

Ezekiel97 06-02-2013 01:48 PM

My engo e9000 has exceeded my expectations. I pulled a 2dr that had the whole rear of the jeep under mud and yesterday a Tacoma. I wasn't expecting the winch to be good it was only supposes to hold me over but it might stay on long term.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jgorm 06-02-2013 01:50 PM

I got a brand new mile marker 9500lb for $300 off craigslist. I think they fell off the truck because the guy had a few of them.

pickupman2500 06-02-2013 01:52 PM

i have the badlands 12k on mine for 2 yers and have pulled a number of things out including a ram 2500 quad cab. and it didnt bog at all.i guess they are hit and miss

nolefansjeep 06-04-2013 07:08 PM

Ended up buying a Quadratec Q9500is winch with the Dyneema synthetic rope. Yep paid more than $300 but like you guys said a good winch is needed for recovery. It has the same warranty as the Warn just without the price of the name.

Jerry Bransford 06-04-2013 07:28 PM

Autozone includes a lifetime warranty with their cheap shoddily constructed failure prone water pumps, the Mopar OE water pump only comes with a 12 month warranty. Does the lifetime warranty of the Autozone water pump mean didly squat in other words?

The bottom line is the warranty is not necessarily any indication of a product's quality or reliability.

Rubi513 06-04-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolefansjeep (Post 3825790)
Ended up buying a Quadratec Q9500is winch with the Dyneema synthetic rope. Yep paid more than $300 but like you guys said a good winch is needed for recovery. It has the same warranty as the Warn just without the price of the name.

Hope it works for ya. Your only kidding yourself if you think it's as good as a WARN though.

nolefansjeep 06-04-2013 10:18 PM

You are right it might not be as good as a WARN but it should still work. If we all outfitted our Jeeps with the same stuff I bet these forums wouldn't even be around. The aftermarket is flooded with parts and accessories for Jeeps some good and some not so good but the companies that are out there that have big names didn't get there by building $hit. There is always that one bad part or two out there that someone is going to complain about but that doesn't mean as a whole they all suck or people woud quit buying them no matter how inexpensive they are. Sorry stepping off of my soapbox now. Ready for feedback on this rant as I am sure it will come :popcorn:

Rubi513 06-05-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolefansjeep (Post 3826573)
You are right it might not be as good as a WARN but it should still work. If we all outfitted our Jeeps with the same stuff I bet these forums wouldn't even be around. The aftermarket is flooded with parts and accessories for Jeeps some good and some not so good but the companies that are out there that have big names didn't get there by building $hit. There is always that one bad part or two out there that someone is going to complain about but that doesn't mean as a whole they all suck or people woud quit buying them no matter how inexpensive they are. Sorry stepping off of my soapbox now. Ready for feedback on this rant as I am sure it will come :popcorn:

I agree with you. But when you said that the "Quadratec Q9500is has the same warranty as the Warn but without the price of the name" it sounds as if you were saying that I paid just for the name of my winch. I buy Warn because I have never had a problem with one and its American made. When I am in a bad situation and need to use my winch the last thing I want to be worrying about is whether or not its going to work or not. I didn't invest a lot of money in my jeep just to skimp on the winch.

But like I said, I hope it works for you.:)

Jerry Bransford 06-05-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3827850)
...I didn't invest a lot of money in my jeep just to skimp on the winch.

X2, my feelings exactly. :)

Gixxer86g 06-05-2013 08:19 PM

I won't argue about Warn being the best. But Quadratec's winches get good reviews. I've wheeled with someone who has the same winch I bought, the Q9000. He's used it dozens of times and no issues. I'm confident I made a good purchase. Not everything out of China is crap. (A heck of a lot is though)

callbob 06-05-2013 08:33 PM

as long as you use HB Chinese tools to install it you will be good.:rofl:

Theorist 06-18-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3827850)
I agree with you. But when you said that the "Quadratec Q9500is has the same warranty as the Warn but without the price of the name" it sounds as if you were saying that I paid just for the name of my winch. I buy Warn because I have never had a problem with one and its American made. When I am in a bad situation and need to use my winch the last thing I want to be worrying about is whether or not its going to work or not. I didn't invest a lot of money in my jeep just to skimp on the winch.

But like I said, I hope it works for you.:)

You did pay for the name. Warn broke during the test:
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

If you need your winch to work when you're in a bad situation then you'd better get rid of that Warn.

Rubicondon53 06-18-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gixxer86g (Post 3829822)
I won't argue about Warn being the best. But Quadratec's winches get good reviews. I've wheeled with someone who has the same winch I bought, the Q9000. He's used it dozens of times and no issues. I'm confident I made a good purchase. Not everything out of China is crap. (A heck of a lot is though)

The quadratec winches were getting good reviews a week after they hit the market.. Hmmm, Ford Pintos got really good reviews too. Lets see how good those reviews are after 4 or 5 years of use.. Good luck !!

Helmsy 06-18-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theorist (Post 3875339)

You did pay for the name. Warn broke during the test:
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

If you need your winch to work when you're in a bad situation then you'd better get rid of that Warn.

I hope this is tongue in cheek because their "test" is all kinds of inaccurate and biased to only account for specs that truly don't mean a dang thing in actual reliability.

Jerry Bransford 06-18-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theorist (Post 3875339)
You did pay for the name. Warn broke during the test:
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

If you need your winch to work when you're in a bad situation then you'd better get rid of that Warn.

There will always be a few who will hope their misleading comment won't be called by those who know better... anyone who can criticize a 9500 lb. capacity winch for failing only when its load reached 16,000 lbs has a screw loose. :rolleyes:

Rubi513 06-18-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theorist (Post 3875339)
You did pay for the name. Warn broke during the test:
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

If you need your winch to work when you're in a bad situation then you'd better get rid of that Warn.

:rofl:

Your first post is this? Wow. Troll much? Did you happen to see which winch they recommended?

Tyr4nt 06-18-2013 10:15 PM

I just got the 12K badlands winch for $200 off, plus the 2 year no questions asked warranty for < $400 (winch package includes a roller fair lead and was super easy to wire up [which I imagine all of them are]). My wife told me she would make me a winch cover out of vinyl from Jo-Ann fabrics.

Like you, I'm on a constraining budget. I would have loved to find a Warn for cheap, but nothing showed up on CL in my price range for the past 3 months. Badlands it is!!

98 tj sport 06-18-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theorist (Post 3875339)

You did pay for the name. Warn broke during the test:
Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

If you need your winch to work when you're in a bad situation then you'd better get rid of that Warn.

Um the warn also won in the end


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.