Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Georgia Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f70/)
-   -   Death Wobble? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f70/death-wobble-246679.html)

JeepNoob2013 06-02-2013 03:02 PM

So I think I have a death wobble problem. It's only happened a couple of times, but the front end starts shaking like crazy. The first time was when I hit pavement coming off a dirt road. Then it happened at about 40 mph on the highway. And again this morning going about 45. When I slow down to about 15-20mph it stops, and i can go on driving with no issue. Is this the death wobble? I looked underneath and everything feels tight. Has anyone else experienced this in a TJ? I'm not as mechanically savvy as I would like to be, so any help would be appreciated. I'm running a pretty much stock TJ. No lift (yet), on 30" tires. I want to get it fixed before I lift it and put 33's on it. This is my weekend ride, so it's not extremely urgent.

Vader 06-02-2013 04:08 PM

Check this video out.

http://youtu.be/mLfjnVMsVLQ

MosesTJ 06-02-2013 05:00 PM

First thing I would check is the pitman arm. It may seem tight but just tighten it up. Then I would go to the steering stabilizer.

Ga jeeper 06-02-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepNoob2013 (Post 3817821)
So I think I have a death wobble problem. It's only happened a couple of times, but the front end starts shaking like crazy. The first time was when I hit pavement coming off a dirt road. Then it happened at about 40 mph on the highway. And again this morning going about 45. When I slow down to about 15-20mph it stops, and i can go on driving with no issue. Is this the death wobble? I looked underneath and everything feels tight. Has anyone else experienced this in a TJ? I'm not as mechanically savvy as I would like to be, so any help would be appreciated. I'm running a pretty much stock TJ. No lift (yet), on 30" tires. I want to get it fixed before I lift it and put 33's on it. This is my weekend ride, so it's not extremely urgent.

I had it and my upper and lower control arm bushings were shot. Replaced them and it fixed the problem

Shadow26 06-03-2013 09:49 PM

I had the same problem on my wife's 06, and I took it to the dealer (it was less than a year old) where they replaced the steering stabilizer under warranty. I have not had any further issues since then, but it really scared the crap out of both of us when it happened - I owned a CJ7 at the time and had never experienced it before. I hope this helps!

JeepNoob2013 06-05-2013 05:12 PM

I took a look. The only thing that looks worn is the bushing on the pitman arm. I think I'll take it to a dealer and show them, and see what they say.

MosesTJ 06-05-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepNoob2013 (Post 3829208)
I took a look. The only thing that looks worn is the bushing on the pitman arm. I think I'll take it to a dealer and show them, and see what they say.

They will charge you 3-400.00 for a $100. Part. You could put on yourself.

JeepNoob2013 06-06-2013 03:05 PM

Yeah I called and found that out. I guess I'm just gonna start replacing parts until its fixed, cheapest first. Would steering dampeners be the place to start? I don't see any play in the track bar, loose bolts, or worn bushings. The bushing connecting the drag link to the pitman arm looks a bit worn, but there's no abnormal play in it. It rotates front to back, but from what I understand, it's supposed to...

indian7409 07-10-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ga jeeper (Post 3818285)

I had it and my upper and lower control arm bushings were shot. Replaced them and it fixed the problem

I had it as we'll in a 97 TJ an my control arm bushings fixed it completely.

JeepNoob2013 07-18-2013 04:29 PM

I got underneath it again last week, just to see if I overlooked anything. I put a wrench on the track bar bolt, and tightened it a bit. I haven't had the slightest wobble, shimmy, or shake since.