Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Seat question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/seat-question-246726.html)

CyndiB 06-02-2013 07:15 PM

Seat question

I have a 90 YJ that originally had a spice interior, but somewhere along the line in its past history, it's been converted to black, so I know the seats are not original (they're black with gray/charcoal centers). I got a set of used Coverking seat covers for it, but they're two-piece and when tried to put them on, I found that my seats are one-piece, there is no open space between the seat and the seat back, so there's no way to attach the covers. The seatback cover has a velcro strip that goes under the bottom and attaches to itself, and the seat bottom has straps. Otherwise they're the same shape. Does anyone know what year/model my seats might be? Or are the covers not for a YJ?

CyndiB 06-15-2013 01:15 AM

Well I found out the answer to my question in case there is anyone else out there looking to buy seat covers. YJs came with 2 styles of OEM seats, reclining and non-reclining. The reclining seats are 2 piece and the non-reclining are 1 piece. The covers are not interchangeable, so the 2 piece covers I bought are for reclining seats and I have non-reclining ones.

Keymo 06-15-2013 01:31 AM

I know... Kind of off-topic, but...

THE YJs HAD RECLINING SEATS?! :eek:

Man... I want those...

Jeep_Gypsy 06-15-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keymo (Post 3862616)
I know... Kind of off-topic, but...

THE YJs HAD RECLINING SEATS?! :eek:

Man... I want those...

I second this.

You can use the seat covers if your only issue is the cinch straps, I used my knife and just put two small slit in the back of the seat.

Keymo 06-15-2013 03:16 AM

After some research....
For those curious and wanting to find some used ones or something - it would appear that the reclining seats came with the "Sahara" Package. :D

bruceandjo95yj 06-15-2013 06:27 AM

My YJ has reclining seats...original seats as far as i know.

Keymo 06-15-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceandjo95yj (Post 3862831)
My YJ has reclining seats...original seats as far as i know.

Was it originally a "Sahara" package?

I've tried looking up the trim packages individually but can't find anything that says differently from what I found earlier in the night... Could be wrong though - maybe they just randomly put them in...

bruceandjo95yj 06-15-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keymo (Post 3862836)
Was it originally a "Sahara" package?

I've tried looking up the trim packages individually but can't find anything that says differently from what I found earlier in the night... Could be wrong though - maybe they just randomly put them in...

No its an ordinary 95 SE...my seats have 2 levers...one is down on the left side that pulls up to recline,the other is on the back that pulls up to push the seat towards the steering wheel..
I can snap a couple pics if ya need them

roadyrob 06-15-2013 08:14 AM

pretty sure all later model yj's had reclining seats. I know the seat design changed around 92, the newer seats are wider and pretty sure all reclined.

The Silver Gorilla 06-15-2013 10:57 AM

Ahh i love my reclining seats :P

Ibuildembig 06-15-2013 08:34 PM

Any yj after 87 will have reclining seats, the stationary was carryover from the cj

DILLIGAF 06-15-2013 09:05 PM

My 95 was a Rio Grande with the spice interior, still has reclining seats..

Didn't he say he has a 90 with non reclining?

87 and older recline.

I guess his are were from an older jeep?

CyndiB 06-15-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DILLIGAF (Post 3864672)
My 95 was a Rio Grande with the spice interior, still has reclining seats..

Didn't he say he has a 90 with non reclining?

87 and older recline.

I guess his are were from an older jeep?

Yes, it's a 90, but not the original seats. Since the seats were already in it when I bought it, I don't know what year they're from. I talked to a guy at a 4WD store who told me there were 2 styles.

Ibuildembig 06-15-2013 09:49 PM

Nothing after 87 was stationary, trust me :)

CyndiB 06-15-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 3864799)

Thanks, that's good to know, I just want to be able to get the right kind of seat covers

Keymo 06-15-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 3864799)

I'm not arguing - but I have an 89 (originally an "Islander") and my seats are stock and they don't recline. It was COMPLETELY original when I bought it other than the carb (According to the PO -who bought it off the lot) and the only thing I did to the interior was paint it and recover the seats so they couldn't have been pulled from something else...

But you're basically saying that other than 87's there shouldn't be any YJ's with stationary seats - unless pulled from a CJ or an 87?? I just want to know what to look for...

ChicoJeepy 06-16-2013 12:13 AM

This isn't a good enough photo of my seats but they are original to my Jeep and do recline.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5bd1f7ca.jpg

Ibuildembig 06-16-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keymo (Post 3865033)

I'm not arguing - but I have an 89 (originally an "Islander") and my seats are stock and they don't recline. It was COMPLETELY original when I bought it other than the carb (According to the PO -who bought it off the lot) and the only thing I did to the interior was paint it and recover the seats so they couldn't have been pulled from something else...

But you're basically saying that other than 87's there shouldn't be any YJ's with stationary seats - unless pulled from a CJ or an 87?? I just want to know what to look for...

That's correct. Of the 18 or so I've parted out, only the 87s had stationary seats.

Keymo 06-16-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 3865142)
That's correct. Of the 18 or so I've parted out, only the 87s had stationary seats.

Weeeeiiiird... I wonder what happened with mine... I feel cheated now!! Haha!

Anyway - Thanks! :D

CyndiB 07-07-2013 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I took a chance and ordered some Coverking covers for a 91 non-reclining seat and they're too wide at the widest part of the seat back. My seats measure 18" at the widest part of the back, and these covers are about 24". So now I'm back o the drawing board trying to figure out what year seats I have. Does anyone recognize this seat? The seat bottom has been re-covered, the passenger seat has the Jeep logo on the seat back and bottom.

Attachment 270100

Nas.a7x 07-07-2013 06:59 PM

I've been told that the cj seats are narrower so I would start there