Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   On The Trail (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f23/)
-   -   Learning how to off-road. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f23/learning-how-to-off-road-246781.html)

GrayKat97 06-02-2013 11:23 PM

Learning how to off-road.

I am now the proud owner of a '99 TJ. At last a vehicle that can actually handle going off-road! I'd like to know where I could go and learn to off-road safely. Right now I'm using some ATV trails that are local to me, but are not much of a challenge to either my Jeep or my current driving skills. I'd like to find some experienced off-roaders to help me improve my skills and maybe challenge my Jeep a little.

I live about an hour North of Pittsburgh and 2 hours South of Erie. In the New Castle Area.

YjKalamity 06-03-2013 12:21 AM

Check out the local sections, there are always people setting up runs there from mild to wild!

TexasGrant 06-04-2013 08:12 PM

Gray, just out of curiosity, ever spend any time in Franklin? I was born there. Went back a few years ago. Awesome area of the country. I would think you'd have a lot of areas to choose from in that part of the state. Lots of hills, rivers, etc. Not so much in N. Texas...

GrayKat97 06-08-2013 06:02 PM

Actually used to spend a little bit of every weekend up there at Tri-City Speedway...That's where I first decided I wanted a Jeep...Wanted to help push the Sprint Cars onto the track.

TexasGrant 06-08-2013 11:43 PM

Very cool

Off Pavement 06-09-2013 07:46 AM

Hands on training is what most of us have done. Join your local 4x4 club and go out with them. They have all been where you are now, like to help noobs get their tires dirty, and have the experience and equipment to help you get started properly.

Wondertwin1 06-09-2013 07:50 AM

First things first, be prepared. Fire extinguisher, small shovel, a couple straps/shackles and a friend to pull you out. Know the area, make sure to fuel up. All the nit picky stuff that usually gets ignored is what always turns a fun trip into hell on earth.

AmbuMan 06-11-2013 07:39 PM

New jeep owner new to the forum. Interested in finding a club in North GA. Would like to gain some experience and get back out doors

Anysuggestions

AmbuMan 06-11-2013 09:32 PM

Ok ? Why the fire extinguisher. I have never heard of a jeep catching on fire. Just everything else.

Wondertwin1 06-11-2013 09:42 PM

I blew a power steering hose and caught a bank full of brush on fire and there was open flame on my exhaust manifold, which is what lit up the power steering fluid anyway. It's way to easy to catch a vehicle on fire off road.

Tdog02 06-11-2013 09:46 PM

My wife used to drive a mercury cougar years ago, went to set cruise control and started a fire in the steering wheel. Without an extinguisher the car would have been a total loss instead of just a steering wheel replacement. Safety equipment is non-negotiable in my book. No FD to your rescue on the trail!

AmbuMan 06-12-2013 06:36 AM

Thanks for the responses. Never thought about these instances. Next on the list is the FE.

TeraFlex 06-12-2013 10:35 AM

If you are on facebook friend Jacob at Teraflex. He is currently doing a tip series on helpful off road tips.