Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Maryland Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/)
-   -   First trip to OC (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f94/first-trip-to-oc-246802.html)

Bullethead 06-03-2013 06:55 AM

First trip to OC

Took the Jeep to Ocean City for the first time this weekend.

Made it with just over Half a tank of gas left, not bad considering the 33"s on it. Had a blast, didn't risk taking the doors off as I have no mirror replacements at the moment.

Also popped my cherry on driving topless through the rain. Anyone see that ridiculous lightning storm last night? Yea drove over the Bay Bridge in that with nothing but my Bikini Top on...slightly better then topless but not by much.

Probably one of the scariest things I've done lately, and I even went skydiving last year. Thought the wind was going to throw us over the edge or lightning would strike the bridge or any other 'Final Destination' possibility.

JeepGirl94 06-03-2013 05:13 PM

Thinking of going to OC for Jeep week in August! It would be my Jeep's first long distance trip!!

wants_a_jeep 06-03-2013 09:03 PM

Congratz on your trip to OC and good thing you didn't take your doors off. OC has some sort of door is required law that is specific to the city even tho maryland doesn't care. Had a cowork go and he got pulled over for not having them but only got a verbal warning. He said that the cop told him door handels are required meaning tube doors ect. And that storm was crazy.

TJ_Beach 06-04-2013 07:46 AM

I live very close to OC. Just got my first Jeep 2 months ago. I'll check on that OC door law for everybody. It doesn't sound right, more likely the summertime rent-a-cops don't know what they are talking about.

Bullethead 06-04-2013 07:54 AM

OC cops are all young trainees. They don't get moved up until they make enough paper work (imo) so they're looking for anything and everything.

Only law I am aware of is you must have a driver side, side mirror. So if you take the doors off be sure to have a bike mirror for the driver side at least.

Congrats JeepGirl, be smart while driving it and remember to wave.

That storm...my god I thought I was going to get blown up and over the jersey walls. I even hydroplaned slightly in my big ass 33's. Think I was more worried than my lady friend.

A few notes about bikini top in the rain...Only good for a light rain. Minutes after heavy rain the water ran down the center strap that connects to the windshield and just dripped all in the center. Also water likes to collect in the middle of it. We pulled over under a gas station for a few minutes, the moment we started back up like 2 gallons dumped right down my left leg!

JeepGirl94 06-04-2013 08:20 AM

I always wave :) And I'm sure it's the cops are not familiar with the laws as long as you have your mirrors it's legal. I have family in OC. Cops are known to pull you over in OC for not having doors. Most drivers aren't aware of the law and take the ticket. Ask the cop to quote the law to you. State police told us they don't recommend driving without the doors but there is now law against it.

Bullethead 06-04-2013 09:37 AM

See that crap is just wrong. Thats like me at work putting in some hours for picking my nose or something. My management would be laughing at me and tell me to do some real work.

Same should be done for turning in false tickets. But I guess the state makes money off of it so whats the harm done.

I'd have a little trouble showing up a cop but if he's a young buck I may feel better about it ha.

TJ_Beach 06-04-2013 12:03 PM

There is no ordinance listed here about no doors:

Municode

Wranglin4Life 06-05-2013 05:08 PM

I would love to take my Jeep to the beach but its not to comfy to sit in for more than an hour and its 3 hours for me to get there. Once I get my replacement seats, maybe I can take it then.

Colin 06-05-2013 06:16 PM

I go to OC and Assateague a lot and have never had any problems about not having doors on. Just make sure you have drivers side mirror. My dad is a cop and told me there is no such law. My tires do stick out too far though oops

ttracey2011 06-08-2013 04:54 PM

I can't wait to take the jeep to OC for the first time July 3rd! Pretty excited for my first long distance jeep trip!

Chilly03 06-10-2013 10:40 AM

§ 22-104. Unlawful to remove or alter safety device or equipment.

A person may not willfully or intentionally remove or alter any safety device or equipment that has been placed on any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer in compliance with any law, rule, regulation, or requirement of any officer or agency of the United States or of this State, if it is intended that the vehicle be operated on highways in this State, unless the removal or alteration is permitted by rule or regulation adopted by the Administrator.

[An. Code 1957, art. 661/2, § 12-104; 1977, ch. 14, § 2.]

Jeep Wrangler doors are excluded from this law in the state of Maryland.

Bullethead 06-10-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly03 (Post 3844857)

:Thanx:

Mean Daddy 06-11-2013 09:03 PM

Technically (If I remember correctly) the doors on the jeep wranglers are not safety device or equipment. not sure if that is on the door or the manual. Anyone else read this?

Hubdeep 06-13-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly03 (Post 3844857)

Can't wait to see you pull this on the OC cops. Best of luck with the rest of the repair orders you'll get.

Bullethead 06-14-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubdeep (Post 3858618)
Can't wait to see you pull this on the OC cops. Best of luck with the rest of the repair orders you'll get.

People ride doorless every day here in AA County. I don't see cops flagging them down ever really

Hubdeep 06-14-2013 12:22 PM

Not in AACo. OC cops will do it, 'for fun'. We've been pulled over several times and given repair orders. Yes, repair orders. We threw the doors on and voíla, passed. The last time we were pulled over we tried to gauge what the law states in polite discussion woth the LEO. We were told it is a 'city ordinance'.

Busa4jeep 06-16-2013 01:13 PM

I went down OC numerous times on my motorcycle. I think the only thing legal on my bike were my tires. I didn't act like a jerk and never got hassled. As long as you're not speeding or blasting your music you should be fine. OC needs events like bike week, jeep week, import week, and other things to get business. Attendance there is down because of all the BS that goes on there with the cops and the over priced everything and with the cost of out of country vacations being a few dollars more and cruises they are hurting.
I really don't care about repair orders I have too many cops friends and friends and a buddy that does inspections at his shop. All you need is one cop buddy

Bullethead 06-17-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubdeep (Post 3860633)
Not in AACo. OC cops will do it, 'for fun'. We've been pulled over several times and given repair orders. Yes, repair orders. We threw the doors on and voíla, passed. The last time we were pulled over we tried to gauge what the law states in polite discussion woth the LEO. We were told it is a 'city ordinance'.

This is true, the youngins in uniform there are like hawks. Last run in I had was senior week years ago. posession of alcohol underaged yada yada. The cop wrote down every last drop of alcohol we had on our citation haha.

"~25ml of Bacardi O Rum, (7) 12oz cans of National Bohemian Beer, 12 oz of Rubbing Alcohol" ...really paid attention to detail haha.

Just try and be smarter and more respectful then the 'senior's and your golden, those are the kids they want.

Mean Daddy 06-18-2013 11:39 PM

i just emailed the police chief in OC, lets see if he / someone from the department returns my email. Depending on what is said, i may keep that email in the glove box if it turns out that there is no law. If it is a town ordinance, i will follow the rules.

Bullethead 06-20-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Daddy (Post 3875897)
i just emailed the police chief in OC, lets see if he / someone from the department returns my email. Depending on what is said, i may keep that email in the glove box if it turns out that there is no law. If it is a town ordinance, i will follow the rules.

Lets hope there is no town ordinance. Watch there will be now and Mean Daddy's email will be a department wide bulletin lol. thanks MD

Mean Daddy 06-20-2013 09:23 PM

oh sure... blame MD cause my email is going to generate a new law!! I guess I will make history and i can tell my future generations that i brought down the whole jeep generation :(

Gladi8r 06-21-2013 01:51 PM

In OC now & there are a lot of doorless Jeeps driving around...

1970Buick 06-22-2013 01:03 AM

Driven door less since 1995 and no issues so far. Roll the dice and take a chance. Good grief....like we all haven't had repair orders.

HornetJK 07-03-2013 08:27 AM

I drive doorless all the time in OC and have never been stopped. I will be curious what the chiefs letter says. I think it is kind of like the old rumor that OC had a separate law for driving without shoes on. "False" There has never been such a law in OC or Maryland.

Hagar The Horrible 08-17-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Daddy (Post 3875897)

It would seem that there is no town ordinance. Click the link below and check for yourself. If the police chief says there is I would show him the link to the posted ordinances and ask him to show it to you.

P.S. I have emailed the Mayor. I wonder what he will say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ_Beach (Post 3824530)
There is no ordinance listed here about no doors:

Municode

Hubdeep 08-18-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HornetJK (Post 3923477)
I drive doorless all the time in OC and have never been stopped. I will be curious what the chiefs letter says. I think it is kind of like the old rumor that OC had a separate law for driving without shoes on. "False" There has never been such a law in OC or Maryland.

Negative. We have been cited twice.

Hagar The Horrible 08-19-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubdeep (Post 4092290)

I would be interested to see what that regulation or ordinance number they used. I have searched the OC regulations that are posted on their site and have found nothing that would indicate removal of doors is against the law. The police may not be a fan of driving with no doors but if it's not a written law how and what are they enforcing?

It seems to me that these are either rookie cops that do not know the law or they are cops on a power trip betting that the average citizen will just take their word for it. The police are not allowed to “make up” laws on the side of the road. If it’s not written in the town ordinances than it’s not a law.
I would take any ticket for this to court. I am sure the judge will agree with me.

HornetJK 01-08-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubdeep (Post 4092290)

If you still have a copy of the ticket can you post the traffic article section listed on the citation. I've been a police officer and training instructor in Md for 19 years. I would love to know what they are charging you with.

Hubdeep 01-12-2014 11:17 AM

I'll have to look. That was back in August...