Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Anti-Spin Differential on a Mall Crawler? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/anti-spin-differential-on-a-mall-crawler-247071.html)

Postmon 06-04-2013 08:41 AM

Anti-Spin Differential on a Mall Crawler?

I'm looking at 2013 JKU for mall crawling and shuttling the kids around. I was planning on going for the anti-spin differential because it seems to be a nice feature to have. But, there's not much inventory out there when I combine it with some of the others I'm looking for. So, I'm reconsidering and wondering whether the LSD is really that beneficial on a mall crawler? I'm in the DC area and usually don't get that much snow here. Can you all enlighten me as to the benefits of the LSD if I'm not going off-road? Does it kick in enough where it's an important safety option to have? I've got young kids so I want the Jeep to be as safe as possible. Alternatively, I could order a 2014 but would rather not wait if it's not that big a deal. Appreciate your thoughts.

Billybaldin 06-04-2013 08:47 AM

Unless your mall or roads have area that would cause one tire to leave the ground i don't see that having or not having LSD would make any difference to be honest.

blankster 06-04-2013 08:48 AM

So far on the tentative 2014 option list LSD is absent. Maybe in the world of modern automotive electronic's of stability control and traction assist, its not needed.

lolpetewtf 06-04-2013 08:48 AM

You won't need it. It is good for off road/snow but your Jeep already has the brake-lock differential which actually works well. No, it is not a "safety feature" you need. You will never know you had it I am sure anyway.

DC Dennis 06-04-2013 08:51 AM

Should not kick in in a manner that causes you any problem. An old Detriot Locker it is not. While we have not gotten any snow in DC to worry about the last two years, Snowmagedon and the Evening Rush Hour Snow Storm From Hell were not that long ago and are due to hit us again soon. If you ever go down to the Outter Banks or out to Assateague, you will appriciate it. A few extra bucks to save the wait for a tow, or for the ability to easily pull someone out of a stuck situation is worth it to me.

moscoeb 06-04-2013 08:54 AM

Just order exactly what you want if buying new.

Costs no extra, and you can actually get multiple dealers fighting against each other for lowest price because you can compare exact same jeep, only difference is price.
Only down fall is the wait for build and delivery.

Postmon 06-04-2013 09:00 AM

Does it help at all in rain, snow, or ice?

SilverSport 06-04-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postmon (Post 3823941)

Yes. It uses clutch plates and is always engaged but is designed to allow for a difference in wheel speed when turning. Combined with the brake lock differential action it could be useful on low traction streets.

DC Dennis 06-04-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postmon (Post 3823941)

Yes. LSD helps with all three, while a automatic locker hurts with each of them. As stated above, the traction control will help a lot, but there are times where the diminished traction to both wheels will really confuse the system and the limited slip will help a lot, particularly when starting on wet/icy hills.

legitposter 06-04-2013 09:33 AM

I have the anti-spin rear diff. It was a $295 option that was already installed on the jeep I bought off the lot. $295, or the ability to not slip, really makes no difference to me.

However, I do like to keep my Jeep maintained, and the special bottle of friction modifier you need for the differential fluid change costs $10 (on top of the gear oil itself). Without the 'anti-spin differential', I could've just put in the gear oil and no special friction modifier.

Lotrat 06-04-2013 09:40 AM

Royal Purple Max Gear is formulated with a friction modifier additive – no additional additives are necessary. Just changed the oil in my 2001 Cherokee with LSD.

mckey73 06-04-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitposter (Post 3824044)
I have the anti-spin rear diff. It was a $295 option that was already installed on the jeep I bought off the lot. $295, or the ability to not slip, really makes no difference to me.

However, I do like to keep my Jeep maintained, and the special bottle of friction modifier you need for the differential fluid change costs $10 (on top of the gear oil itself). Without the 'anti-spin differential', I could've just put in the gear oil and no special friction modifier.

oops, maybe it does.

TOK 06-04-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybaldin (Post 3823886)
Unless your mall or roads have area that would cause one tire to leave the ground i don't see that having or not having LSD would make any difference to be honest.

It can be a big deal in an area that gets snow. I helped dig out a 4 wheel drive truck stuck with 2 tires on basically clear pavement. It was a weird scenario, but it totally exploited the weakness of an open diff.

blankster 06-04-2013 09:56 AM

Still don't see it on the 2014 option list - Hmmm

panthermark 06-04-2013 10:50 AM

LSD was a must have, flat out deal breaker for me (which is why I ordered).

I would not even consider a Wrangler without it unless you live someplace that is bone dry. Even then...I would still get it unless you planned on going with aftermarket LSD or lockers.

It is plenty usefull for on-road applications.

guppy 06-04-2013 12:16 PM

GET THE ANTI-SPIN!!!!
I have a Rubicon without and a Sport with. Pulling out of my neighborhood after a rain onto the highway is a PIA with the Rubi. Starts to spin then traction control kicks in and just when you need acceleration it turns into a wounded turtle. 2013 sport on the other hand with the anti-spin gets up and goes.
Put me down in the category of "wouldn't buy another one without it".

Cons_Table 06-04-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybaldin (Post 3823886)

You must be confusing lockers and LSD. LSD is as effective as an open diff if youve got tires in the air.

To the OP, an LSD is helpful in many conditions that you may face on the road (ie snow, ice, rain)

the Grouch 06-04-2013 12:42 PM

A limited slip differential will help any time you drive over slippery surfaces. It will help on ice, slick wet roads and snow. The Wrangler's LSD has clutches which will wear out (don't know how long they are supposed to last though)

I live in Anchorage and have never missed having a LSD driving on anything from packed snow to glare ice. It is not a deal breaker for me. And if I were to get a new Jeep I'd do more research on clutch wear before getting a LSD.

Postmon 06-04-2013 12:46 PM

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Glad I asked. I will stick with the LSD then. Next decision, 3.73 vs. 3.21, but I think there may have been a thread or two on that one already ;-)

Cons_Table 06-04-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postmon (Post 3824683)
Thanks guys. Very helpful. Glad I asked. I will stick with the LSD then. Next decision, 3.73 vs. 3.21, but I think there may have been a thread or two on that one already ;-)

3.73...done ;)

D_ninja 06-04-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppy (Post 3824565)
GET THE ANTI-SPIN!!!!
I have a Rubicon without and a Sport with. Pulling out of my neighborhood after a rain onto the highway is a PIA with the Rubi. Starts to spin then traction control kicks in and just when you need acceleration it turns into a wounded turtle. 2013 sport on the other hand with the anti-spin gets up and goes.

x 2.

This is why I went with the wrangler sport with LSD. Planning to add an ARB locker in the front for better off-road capability.

D_ninja 06-04-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

If you plan on staying with the stock tires and never plan to upgrade to larger tires, then stay with the 3.21 (that's the specs it was designed for). If you plan on going up in tire size or going off-road, then go with the 3.73

st1264 06-04-2013 01:31 PM

I've always opted for Limited Slip... however I couldn't find it in the inventory when buying my JKU and went without it.

We have snow and ice here, but 4wd is enough. I still think it's a good option to have and will be good for resale as well, as most aren't ordered with it.

3.73 w/anti-spin is desirable in my opinion, even if you never leave pavement. OP can make his own decision, however. I got a fantastic deal on the JKU I bought so I settled for not having the LSD. If I had more money, I would have ordered with everything I wanted on it.

DC Dennis 06-04-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppy (Post 3824565)
GET THE ANTI-SPIN!!!!

I thought the Rubicon diffs were LSD when the locker is not engaged.

D_ninja 06-04-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC Dennis (Post 3824834)

Someone will have to correct me of I'm wrong, but from what I've read the newer rubicons do not have LSD. It's an open diff when 4x4 is not engaged. When you engage the lockers on the rubicon, the tires on the axel spin at the same rate (great for off-roading at low speeds, but horrible for icy,wet, snowy roads). The lockers on the rubicon disengage at 25mph and the vehicle basically becomes an open diff. Again, I believe the older rubicons had both the LSD and Lockers.

panthermark 06-04-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC Dennis (Post 3824834)

Quote:

Originally Posted by D_ninja (Post 3824893)
Someone will have to correct me of I'm wrong, but from what I've read the newer rubicons do not have LSD. It's an open diff when 4x4 is not engaged. When you engage the lockers on the rubicon, the tires on the axel spin at the same rate (great for off-roading at low speeds, but horrible for icy,wet, snowy roads). The lockers on the rubicon disengage at 25mph and the vehicle basically becomes an open diff. Again, I believe the older rubicons had both the LSD and Lockers.

Correct, when the JK's come out, the Rubi diffs no longer had both LSD and a locker. TJ Rubi's had both.

However, I think you meant it is an open diff whenever the lockers are not engaged.

D_ninja 06-04-2013 02:09 PM

Yes, you're right.

DC Dennis 06-04-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3824920)
Correct, when the JK's come out, the Rubi diffs no longer had both LSD and a locker. TJ Rubi's had both.

However, I think you meant it is an open diff whenever the lockers are not engaged.

Well I guess I am glad I did not waste my money on a new Rubicon then. :p This will be my line to the guys, instead of the fact that the wife/boss/business manager/family accountant only released enough funds for a Sport. ;)

panthermark 06-04-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC Dennis (Post 3824941)
Well I guess I am glad I did not waste my money on a new Rubicon then. :p This will be my line to the guys, instead of the fact that the wife/boss/business manager/family accountant only released enough funds for a Sport. ;)

That is actually my official line. ;)

I know that 99.99% of my crawling will be at the mall, so LSD and AT tires made far more sense (for me) than lockers/open diffs and MT tires. It was going to be a Sport S or Sahara for me.

SilverSport 06-04-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

You know you want 3.73s so don't fight it. LOL