Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Florida Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/)
-   -   Out of state buying experince (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/out-of-state-buying-experince-247249.html)

elite56 06-04-2013 10:12 PM

Out of state buying experince
 
Hey there guys. I've been working my butt off lately to save up the money to buy a jeep and my time is finally here. I've been looking at jeeps and I've have found a pretty decent one. The only problem is it is out of state and about 7 hours away. My question to you is if it's wise to buy a out of state vehicle? I know there's extra fees. I think it's around $225 for the initial registration not including the title and such. But what is your experience with buying out of state jeeps? Did you end up hating it because the money saved did not equal the gas, stress, time, or driving to pick it up? Right now if I were to get this jeep it would drive about 14 hours round trip. I would like to hear someone's input that has done this before. Thanks.

Sinister6 06-04-2013 10:24 PM

I bought mine through Ebay. I'm in CO Jeep was in Mississippi. I got Carfax, and it was protected through Ebay "buyback" program. I bought it based on description and carfax... It cost me $800 to have it shipped to me...took 3.5 days to show up. Overall it was a good experience...Would I do it again? Probably...but would pay to have an independent mechanic look at it. The big negative was that Miss does not collect state sales tax so I got Raped here in CO!!

elite56 06-04-2013 10:41 PM

Well in my situation I wouldn't have it shipped. It's much too expensive for me. I would just take one of my days off and leave early in the morning and get back late that night. I've looked around where I would meet the guy and I've found a 4x4 shop that said they would inspect the vehicle for me for $95/hour. I think I'm more worried about driving 7 hours there then there be something major wrong with the jeep then drive 7 hours back empty handed. Granted I'd prefer that over buying a piece of crap jeep that would turn into a major rebuild project instead of a build project.

Legend2 06-05-2013 07:49 PM

I have purchased a few cars across state lines, while living in FL, purchased a new car from AL, and a new one from GA. Both were just as easy as purchasing local, they even calculated the sales tax, tag and title fees, ( granted both were off by a few dollars one having to pay an extra 100 and one receiving money). Both dealerships were within 7 hours d both drove the vehicle to my door and we signed the paperwork over in the dining room. The larger dealerships have full time drivers that do these deliveries all the time.

JKU SRQ 06-05-2013 11:57 PM

I won't purchase another new vehicle out of state as the Lemon Law must be filed in the state of purchase, that and local dealers treat you like crap when handling warranty issues.

Used, I have no problem with the exception being eBay (in or out of state) and misrepresentation of vehicle's mechanical condition and appearance. I've bought a few used vehicles from out of state dealers and had very good experiences. Now I prefer buying used vehicles on forums... A fellow forum member is likely to disclose everything you could want to know about their vehicle and give you more history, plus you can search the forum for any modifications or problems they may have had.

Your local DMV in Florida will contact you to finalize registration and taxes... the last couple times I bought from an out of state dealer it was in my favor, receiving a check for the difference charged.

elite56 06-07-2013 11:33 AM

The jeep I'm looking at is used and is being sold by an individual over on a different jeep forum. He's seemed to be honest with me so far about the whole jeep but I won't know for sure until I get there and look at it myself. I'll most likely have a mechanic check it out for me to make sure everything is there and is working properly.

Layensid71 07-19-2013 09:00 AM

I live in orlando and bought a new 10A in Columbia SC, it was a 6 hour drive, My wife and I made a weekend out of it, stayed the night in Hilton head on the way back, it was a blast, and the car buying piece was seamless

tabber02 07-19-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layensid71 (Post 3979831)
I live in orlando and bought a new 10A in Columbia SC, it was a 6 hour drive, My wife and I made a weekend out of it, stayed the night in Hilton head on the way back, it was a blast, and the car buying piece was seamless

how come south carolina? only place you could find a 10a or just a real good deal? how'd they handle the taxes and tags?

Layensid71 07-19-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 3981494)

how come south carolina? only place you could find a 10a or just a real good deal? how'd they handle the taxes and tags?

At the time there were only 4 available in the color combo I wanted, and the dealerships would not trade, so I had to go get it and that was the closes one

tabber02 07-19-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layensid71 (Post 3981516)
At the time there were only 4 available in the color combo I wanted, and the dealerships would not trade, so I had to go get it and that was the closes one

understood... was it a pain to buy out of state... or did you do all the financing before you left with your bank? what about registration and license?

Cdwright 07-19-2013 06:37 PM

14 hours of driving on top of the other? No way.

Layensid71 07-19-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 3981532)

understood... was it a pain to buy out of state... or did you do all the financing before you left with your bank? what about registration and license?

It was actually the best car buying experience I have ever had , financing was the same as local dealer and they use a Internet company that specializes in doing plates, so they gave me a 30 day transfer tag, then the Florida plate showed up in the mail

CaptRyan 07-20-2013 03:57 AM

I bought my jeep In Tampa and live in ms and was gonna have it shipped but shit got messed with the trucks so I flew down to pick it up and get to the dealership and they tell me that since I am picking it up I have to pay fl mad ms sales tax so an extra $3500 on top of a 9 hr drive
Moral of the story is make sure you know the states laws or you could wind up getting screwed

Layensid71 07-20-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRyan (Post 3983226)
I bought my jeep In Tampa and live in ms and was gonna have it shipped but shit got messed with the trucks so I flew down to pick it up and get to the dealership and they tell me that since I am picking it up I have to pay fl mad ms sales tax so an extra $3500 on top of a 9 hr drive
Moral of the story is make sure you know the states laws or you could wind up getting screwed

That should not be the case, The taxes should be based on where you live, not both,

CaptRyan 07-20-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layensid71 (Post 3983321)

That should not be the case, The taxes should be based on where you live, not both,

They would have been had I taken delivery of it in ms but since I flew down and picked it up I had to pay both because ms ar and one other state I forgot which one doesn't recognize you paying out of state taxes I had a lawyer look it up for me so I got screwed out of 2500 the good thing is I talked them down 4 k from their asking price

Layensid71 07-20-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRyan (Post 3983401)

They would have been had I taken delivery of it in ms but since I flew down and picked it up I had to pay both because ms ar and one other state I forgot which one doesn't recognize you paying out of state taxes I had a lawyer look it up for me so I got screwed out of 2500 the good thing is I talked them down 4 k from their asking price

That sucks, sorry to have that spoil the experience

CaptRyan 07-20-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layensid71 (Post 3983447)

That sucks, sorry to have that spoil the experience

It wasn't that bad I got the one I wanted so it was worth it and it was interstate the whole way we had some bonding time

jadmt 07-20-2013 10:59 AM

It all depends on the state. I have bought several vehicles both motorcycles and cars/trucks in Washington, Idaho and Minnesota and i live in Montana all all were easy peasey and even tho those states have sales tax I did not have to pay sales tax on them.

elite56 08-18-2013 12:23 PM

Just wanted to check back in and let every one know how the experience went. I ended up buying out of state simply because I found a good deal. The only downside to it was that I had to drive and pick up the jeep since shipping it is very costly in comparison to driving up there on a day off. Transaction went very smooth and titling the vehicle was not difficult even though it was bought through a private seller. Over all I am very satisfied!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.