Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Carpet or no carpet? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/carpet-or-no-carpet-247267.html)

Meatball0311 06-05-2013 12:52 AM

Carpet or no carpet?
 
I had an 05' JKU and I took out the carpets, because I wanted to preserve them for some reason. I kinda liked it. I want to do it with my 10A but am torn between doing it or not. What are your thoughts?

Rigger007 06-05-2013 07:29 AM

Take them out and bed line it. Carpet sucks.

Rubi513 06-05-2013 07:45 AM

To each his own, but I like the carpet.

kramer2k 06-05-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubi513 (Post 3827533)
to each his own, but i like the carpet.

+1

AirForce_Jeeper 06-05-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubi513 (Post 3827533)
to each his own, but i like the carpet.

+2

jkjeeper06 06-05-2013 08:23 AM

Another vote for no carpet. I don't use my windows all summer and I wash the jeep with the top down and use the back like a pickup bed. If I had carpets they'd be moldy and trashed. They go back in during the winter when I have my hard top on.

Another upside: if you have any leaks you don't have to notice or care

Smitty8869 06-05-2013 08:24 AM

I vote no carpet. Pulled it all and lay a couple coats of herculiner bed liner and I couldn't be happier with it! Very easy to clean

jwink41 06-05-2013 08:26 AM

No carpet for almost two years. So much easier but I too remove the windows almost all summer so she gets washed without. . Makes it easier to get the dirt out! I don't have a fancy jeep though. Carpet looks a little nicer, but way less functional.

Yak Yak 06-05-2013 09:52 AM

I pulled mine after two days of ownership. I got rained on my second day and the carpets we soaked. They came out easy and I decided to just leave them out, between sudden rain storms in Florida and two kids riding in the jeep I figure there's no need for the carpet. I may get brave and do the bedliner mod.

blkrubi88 06-05-2013 10:01 AM

I took my carpet, herculined the inside and sold the carpet.

When I carpet and it even looked like rain I would have the top up, now I'll set out driving with bikini top and no doors in the rain because I don't have to worry about the carpet getting wet and nasty.

Meatball0311 06-05-2013 12:59 PM

It would be nice to not have to worry about mildew and wet carpets. I had my 05' carpet out and did like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty8869 (Post 3827639)
I vote no carpet. Pulled it all and lay a couple coats of herculiner bed liner and I couldn't be happier with it! Very easy to clean

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkrubi88 (Post 3827891)
I took my carpet, herculined the inside and sold the carpet.

When I carpet and it even looked like rain I would have the top up, now I'll set out driving with bikini top and no doors in the rain because I don't have to worry about the carpet getting wet and nasty.

I looked at Line-X and would really like to have the whole floorboard of the vehicle done.

How is Herculiner bed liner? Is it durable? Is it easy to install?

AegisCPO 06-05-2013 01:00 PM

Might be a silly question, but once you pull the carpet, where do you store it if you are kepeing it or re-installing it later?
I have never pulled my carpet, but assume it is form fitted to the interior, so it probably doesn't just fold up, right?
The idea of lining the interior is appealing, but have to wait a bit till I build my "fun" funds back up.

blkrubi88 06-05-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatball0311 (Post 3828392)
It would be nice to not have to worry about mildew and wet carpets. I had my 05' carpet out and did like it.





I looked at Line-X and would really like to have the whole floorboard of the vehicle done.

How is Herculiner bed liner? Is it durable? Is it easy to install?

Holding up real good. It only peeled in one small spot were I didn't prep to good, in a hurry.

It has a rougher texture than some other products, but I got it on sale and did the whole inside tub for $59
about three and half years ago.

ESP 06-05-2013 01:35 PM

Took the carpet out of our 2010 and liked it for a while but I missed the carpet too. Never bedlined but that's a great option as well. Keeping the carpet in the 2013 at least until something catastrophic happens to the interior.

cmaggi2 06-05-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AegisCPO (Post 3828396)
Might be a silly question, but once you pull the carpet, where do you store it if you are kepeing it or re-installing it later?
I have never pulled my carpet, but assume it is form fitted to the interior, so it probably doesn't just fold up, right?
The idea of lining the interior is appealing, but have to wait a bit till I build my "fun" funds back up.

Outside in the garage shed. Since the carpet is in about 4 pieces, it doesn't take up as much room as you'd think. I'd guess about 2' x 3' tops.

Meatball0311 06-05-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AegisCPO (Post 3828396)
Might be a silly question, but once you pull the carpet, where do you store it if you are kepeing it or re-installing it later?
I have never pulled my carpet, but assume it is form fitted to the interior, so it probably doesn't just fold up, right?
The idea of lining the interior is appealing, but have to wait a bit till I build my "fun" funds back up.

You could also maybe either put it on the top of a rack or maybe in your attic. I would just stack each piece on top of each other so you do not fold them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkrubi88 (Post 3828435)
Holding up real good. It only peeled in one small spot were I didn't prep to good, in a hurry.

It has a rougher texture than some other products, but I got it on sale and did the whole inside tub for $59
about three and half years ago.

Sounds like something I want to check out. Like I said I want to do the whole Jeep..

How hard would it be to remove the seats?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 3828517)
Took the carpet out of our 2010 and liked it for a while but I missed the carpet too. Never bedlined but that's a great option as well. Keeping the carpet in the 2013 at least until something catastrophic happens to the interior.

I feel the same, but if I can get it bedlined then I would really just like to have my slush mats.

DallasJKU 06-05-2013 02:46 PM

I pulled my carpet because I have a dog that sheds. I was going to LineX, but didn't want to spend anymore on the Jeep right now so I bought AEV floor liners. I really like this set-up.

blkrubi88 06-05-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatball0311 (Post 3828712)
You could also maybe either put it on the top of a rack or maybe in your attic. I would just stack each piece on top of each other so you do not fold them.



Sounds like something I want to check out. Like I said I want to do the whole Jeep..

How hard would it be to remove the seats?



I feel the same, but if I can get it bedlined then I would really just like to have my slush mats.

That's the way I did mine, removed seats, console, foot man loops and seatbelts. Wasn't hard to remove those things.

Meatball0311 06-05-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasJKU (Post 3828734)
I pulled my carpet because I have a dog that sheds. I was going to LineX, but didn't want to spend anymore on the Jeep right now so I bought AEV floor liners. I really like this set-up.

I still haven't received a quote from LineX... Do you have an Unlimited? and if you do.. do you mind telling me what they quoted you at?


Quote:

Originally Posted by blkrubi88 (Post 3828764)
That's the way I did mine, removed seats, console, foot man loops and seatbelts. Wasn't hard to remove those things.

Dude.. I really want to do this (I am enjoying DIY projects), but I have limited skills. What would you rate the difficulty and how is it putting back together?

Rigger007 06-05-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AegisCPO (Post 3828396)
Might be a silly question, but once you pull the carpet, where do you store it if you are kepeing it or re-installing it later?
I have never pulled my carpet, but assume it is form fitted to the interior, so it probably doesn't just fold up, right?
The idea of lining the interior is appealing, but have to wait a bit till I build my "fun" funds back up.

You're right it doesn't just fold up. I kept mine in the attic over the garage, and before that in the second bedroom of our old apartment, right next to the TJ's hardtop. That was fun carrying up the stairs with my wife!

blkrubi88 06-05-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatball0311 (Post 3828840)
I still haven't received a quote from LineX... Do you have an Unlimited? and if you do.. do you mind telling me what they quoted you at?




Dude.. I really want to do this (I am enjoying DIY projects), but I have limited skills. What would you rate the difficulty and how is it putting back together?

Difficulty level is maybe a three, it's more time consuming than hard.

The hardest part was the prep work, that's why I have one small spot in the driver side floor that peeled, got in a hurry by that point.
Installing everything back in the Jeep is not bad, unless you get a lot down in the bolt holes, then it becomes aggravating get the bolts back in.

Meatball0311 06-05-2013 06:57 PM

I have been looking on the Internet at some DIY bed liners and I came across a Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating. Rustoleum is a good company and I like how it includes all that you need. Has anyone used this product and would you recommend it?

Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating - How to Apply - YouTube

Beastmaster 06-05-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatball0311 (Post 3826963)
I had an 05' JKU and I took out the carpets, because I wanted to preserve them for some reason. I kinda liked it. I want to do it with my 10A but am torn between doing it or not. What are your thoughts?

You said you had an '05 JKU, did you mean an '05 TJU?

Anyway, I have an '07 JKU and I removed my carpet and bed lined it a couple of months ago. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/i-j...er-238306.html I love it, it sure makes clean up after a trail run super easy. :thumb:

I just have my carpet in a box in my attic but I have no idea why I'm keeping it. I'll probably throw it a way in a while. :whistling:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1367172123

Meatball0311 06-05-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmaster (Post 3829726)
You said you had an '05 JKU, did you mean an '05 TJU?

Anyway, I have an '07 JKU and I removed my carpet and bed lined it a couple of months ago. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/i-j...er-238306.html I love it, it sure makes clean up after a trail run super easy. :thumb:

I just have my carpet in a box in my attic but I have no idea why I'm keeping it. I'll probably throw it a way in a while. :whistling:

Uh.. I am a noob... didn't realize that the Wranglers were TJ's in 2005. Thanks for schooling me.

I looked at your thread and you did a really good job. It looks nice and thick and sturdy. It is more or less the look I am going for and will add it to the list of possible products.

I do have a question about the smell that was mentioned. Is it a really toxic smell? How long would you say it lasts? I have leather seats... will that smell totally overpower the nice aroma of leather? Thanks.

gr8fulKID 06-05-2013 11:19 PM

Best thing to do with the carpet is..... use it as a drop cloth when bedlining your interior.

Meatball0311 06-05-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3830522)
Best thing to do with the carpet is..... use it as a drop cloth when bedlining your interior.

I will take that as a vote for no carpet... ROFL! :rofl:

xjcj5jku 06-05-2013 11:37 PM

Ok, you guys that leave your jeeps open and get hard rains... (Pretty rare here lately!) are there concerns for the dash, electronics, etc. I used to leave my old CJ open all the time, but it was simpler electronically. What's the scoop?

DallasJKU 06-06-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatball0311 (Post 3828840)
I still haven't received a quote from LineX... Do you have an Unlimited? and if you do.. do you mind telling me what they quoted you at?

$750 if they pull everything out. $550 if I do it. I will let them do it.

Beastmaster 06-06-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatball0311 (Post 3830463)
Uh.. I am a noob... didn't realize that the Wranglers were TJ's in 2005. Thanks for schooling me.

No worries, I'm suprised nobody gave you a hard time over it :D (just as an FYI the JK line started with the 2007 model year)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatball0311 (Post 3830463)
I looked at your thread and you did a really good job. It looks nice and thick and sturdy. It is more or less the look I am going for and will add it to the list of possible products.

I do have a question about the smell that was mentioned. Is it a really toxic smell? How long would you say it lasts? I have leather seats... will that smell totally overpower the nice aroma of leather? Thanks.

Ya, the smell could be quite a deterrent to anyone wanting to do this. For anyone wanting to use this stuff, I'd highly recommend they plan on running windowless/doorless/topless for at least couple of weeks to let it air out.

Meatball0311 06-06-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmaster (Post 3831524)
No worries, I'm suprised nobody gave you a hard time over it :D (just as an FYI the JK line started with the 2007 model year)

Ya, the smell could be quite a deterrent to anyone wanting to do this. For anyone wanting to use this stuff, I'd highly recommend they plan on running windowless/doorless/topless for at least couple of weeks to let it air out.

Thanks for the intel.

Do all the DIY liners have a strong odor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasJKU (Post 3830743)
$750 if they pull everything out. $550 if I do it. I will let them do it.

I just got quoted today for a Reflex job at $1200!!

It is starting to look like I might be doing this on my own.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.