Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Water sound behind dash on cold start (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/water-sound-behind-dash-on-cold-start-247292.html)

Austintrip 06-05-2013 07:49 AM

Water sound behind dash on cold start

Hey all I have a 2013 JK with 2000 miles on it. Had to have the water pump replaced because of chirping sound. After picking up the jeep and starting it the next morning I noticed a fish tank like sound behind the dash. This went away after 10 seconds or so, but does it on each cold start. I have taking it back to the dealership and they say fluid levels are fine and no air in system. But I am hesitant to believe them after reading some of the other forums. I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but any thoughts on heater core/burping system with the dealership saying no air in system? Thanks in advance. Also my temp gauge seems a tiny bit higher at operating temp then it used to. Sits sometimes right above half when it used to sit a little below or right on half.

zerinS4 06-05-2013 07:50 AM

Have the same issue. Not sure if it's worth taking mine to the dealer to get the run around or living with it.

TrueBlueJK 06-05-2013 07:55 AM

Mine did this for the first couple of months after I bought it, I think it's just air in the system that needs to be bled.

Austintrip 06-05-2013 08:03 AM

Did you bleed the air manually or did you let the system get rid of the air itself? Or can it even do that?

TrueBlueJK 06-05-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austintrip (Post 3827586)
Did you bleed the air manually or did you let the system get rid of the air itself? Or can it even do that?

I never did anything, it went away by itself.

JeeperJake 06-05-2013 08:27 AM

....in my 08JK I've come to believe it's the DiLithium Crystals coming on line to transport me to places no man has gone before....

It made those sounds 40,000 miles ago when I bought it, it makes 'em nearly every time I fire up in the morning, and never has caused any problems. I've heard a variety of potential explanations, none of them confirmed.

Austintrip 06-05-2013 08:44 AM

Just worries me a bit since it didn't do that before.

yacc 06-05-2013 08:47 AM

Mine did that. I took it to the dealer, their is a service bulletin. They drained and flushed my radiator fluid twice, then burped the system, and the problem went away. I am pretty sure that there is some amount of trash in the system when they are built, and that trash causes air to get trapped in the heater core, which causes the noise. I do not know if it will cause any damage to the engine, but I do know that they can fix it, as they fixed mine.

Disconnected 06-05-2013 08:55 AM

When they replaced a head on mine it came back doing the same thing. Wasnt leaking or anything but made that "wonderful" sound. Turns on it was a combination of air and them not seating a hose properly. Id ask them to bleed the system anyways for peace of mind as I personally hated that sound. If im hearing water it better dang well be cause Im in it

SilverSport 06-05-2013 10:04 AM

OP - the usual cause is air trapped in the heater core. Burping the cooling system normally remedies the issue.

Check out this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/fyi...er-186603.html

Austintrip 06-07-2013 08:47 AM

Well I took it back to dealer and they burped the system. They did this "the traditional way" and raised the front end up by 2 feet and let the jeep sit overnight. Well I started it on cold start today and still heard a little bit of water noise, a lot less then what it was. I am hoping the rest will just get pushed out of the system.

10Anvil 06-07-2013 09:05 AM

Mine is intermittent.

DirtyTeddy 06-07-2013 09:11 AM

Thought I was just imagining things when I first got my jeep. 13 JKU, has gone away since 1700 miles.

Old Dogger 06-07-2013 11:10 AM

This is a very common problem, so just burp that Baby......................, but most will purge themselves in time.

Crushed 06-07-2013 12:50 PM

I remember mine having this. 12k miles now and I haven't heard it in a long time, probably just air in the system like Old Dogger said.

109 Rider 06-07-2013 01:15 PM

Got my JKUR 2013 last September.
One day in January, I started the engine on the cold morning and surprise :eek:
sound of rushing water behind my dashboard (mostly by the passenger side).
Happened only this one time, and never again.