Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Duratrac's or BFG All-Terrain KO? Central Texas (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/duratracs-or-bfg-all-terrain-ko-central-texas-247305.html)

dontlaughmeow 06-05-2013 09:53 AM

Duratrac's or BFG All-Terrain KO? Central Texas

I've been researching new tires for my 2013 JKUS on order. I'm swapping out the 18" wheels for 17's. I bought the Quadratec MOAB style alloy's (4.7" BS). Now the big decision is what tires to dump my funds into. I won't be doing any hard-core off-roading, just camping and other light off-road stuff. It will be 95% DD, highway/city. I'm moving to Austin, TX in a couple months and want to make sure I get the right tire for the area. Dry, hot and some wet/rain conditions, don't care about snow/ice conditions for obvious reasons. Won't really be doing any mudding or rock climbing.

I want to get the best MPG possible, quiet ride, smooth cornering, good tread life.

The size I am going with is 285/70/17. Not quite a 33" but almost there. No lift, everything else is stock except the wheels. I wanted wider tires and different rims.

I want to get opinions on which of these tires would be best for my area and driving conditions. Best MPG, handling, tread life. I like the Duratrac's aggressive look a little more but I've heard a lot of good things about the BFG's. I've heard the Duratrac's sidewalls are really soft when cornering, I'm not too keen on that, is that true?

What are your opinions?
  • Goodyear Duratrac
  • BFGoodrich All-Terrain T-A KO
Thanks in advance!

Blkfenderslookbetter 06-05-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlaughmeow (Post 3827875)
I want to get the best MPG possible, quiet ride, smooth cornering, good tread life.

...I want to get opinions on which of these tires would be best for my area and driving conditions. Best MPG, handling, tread life. I like the Duratrac's aggressive look a little more but I've heard a lot of good things about the BFG's. I've heard the Duratrac's sidewalls are really soft when cornering, I'm not too keen on that, is that true?

What are your opinions?
  • Goodyear Duratrac
  • BFGoodrich All-Terrain T-A KO
Thanks in advance!

I was at the same crossroads, and I chose the BFG's for the very reasons you outlined. I think the Duratracs look good, and I can't comment on the handling. But the BFG's look good, they aren't loud and after 10K miles they seem to be wearing very well.

mckey73 06-05-2013 10:17 AM

I'm a huge fan of the BFG A/T's, had them on a Scout II for 11 years. Last set I had was on my 3/4 ton Chevy and I traded it with 45k on the tires w/ the rear diff welded for about half of that. They are great, can't wait until my goodyear crap wears out. Thought they were only good for a year :/

TxJprs 06-05-2013 10:21 AM

I've run both and if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the BFG's. Quieter, tougher and easier to balance.

Lithium Lotus 06-05-2013 10:28 AM

I have 285/70/17 Duratracs and love them. I'm in Ohio though, so I do get snow and lots of rain. Can't say anything about the BFG since I've never had any. The sidewalls don't feel soft to me when cornering, but it's not a Porsche. They are soft if doing heavy rock crawling, but I don't think you'll be doing that. A softer sidewall will also absorb bumps better on road.

dontlaughmeow 06-05-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithium Lotus (Post 3827943)
I have 285/70/17 Duratracs and love them. I'm in Ohio though, so I do get snow and lots of rain. Can't say anything about the BFG since I've never had any. The sidewalls don't feel soft to me when cornering, but it's not a Porsche. They are soft if doing heavy rock crawling, but I don't think you'll be doing that. A softer sidewall will also absorb bumps better on road.

Do you have a lift on your rig? What's the tread-life and MPG's like so far on your Duratrac's? Much difference from stock?

Big Fran 06-05-2013 10:36 AM

I've had the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T-A KO's on my pickup for years and they wear like steel. They last so long they have dry rot by the time I need to replace them.

I have the Goodyear Duratrac's on my JKU and they work well too. The Dutatrac's have a much louder hum on the road then the BFG's do. The Durateac's are new and I have no idea how well they wear. The Duratrac's feel softer then the BFG's do and have a little better grip on wet roads.

I love them both and would have liked to put the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T-A KO's on my jeep but I wanted a more off road tire for it.

I'm sure you would be happy with either one.

lesgoff 06-05-2013 10:39 AM

I have Duratracs 315/70/17 and like them very much. Low noise and has great road manners. The side walls are reported to be a little weak, but my JK is primarily a daily driver. Duratracs are one of a few off road tires with both a wet and snow rating.

Lithium Lotus 06-05-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontlaughmeow (Post 3827965)
Do you have a lift on your rig? What's the tread-life and MPG's like so far on your Duratrac's? Much difference from stock?

Yes, a 2.5-3" Rock Krawler lift. I've only had the tires for two years now and two off-road trips and they seem to wearing really good. I had the tires mounted before I installed my lift or my bumpers, and you could easily feel their weight when driving down the road. I did not calculate my mpg before or after, but the lift kit and bumpers certainly didn't help any in that department. They are quite for their size though.

DallasJKU 06-05-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesgoff (Post 3827973)
I have Duratracs 315/70/17 and like them very much. Low noise and has great road manners. The side walls are reported to be a little weak, but my JK is primarily a daily driver. Duratracs are one of a few off road tires with both a wet and snow rating.

Duratracs look way better and handle really well in rain.

Txrdstr 06-05-2013 01:15 PM

Have had Duratracks on my work truck 18 months now love them for off road and on road as well, very good in mud and muck, better than the BFG at, that bein said I am on my 5th set of BFG at on 2001 ram 1500 4x4, buy them once with free replacement certificate from Discount tire and will be last set tires you buy, they will develope a belt edge separation before you wear them out and DTC certificates will replace for free, just buy new cert on new tire! They are great for trail and occasional mud, have tri-gaurd side wall and are perfect for TX if not mudding or rock crawling.

ChiefDan 06-05-2013 02:22 PM

I have Duratrac right now, and have owned BFG ATs on my Bronco and for trucks in the past.

the DT handles and throws water/mud away well, but in the Texas heat, I think they would wear faster than the BFG AT.

I had my Bronco in San Antonio (and San Diego, and Washington...) and I'd lean toward BFG again if I was in Texas. I think they will wear better in the heat, and the heavier sidewall should resist some random Texas rocks slightly better.

Dollar 06-05-2013 02:44 PM

I tried BFG A/T on my Xterra and couldn't get them balanced after 6 tries. So I swapped them for Duratracs and had no problems. They were quite stiff since I had them in E load. Never had a sidewall issue and I hit trails in Moab and CO Alpine Loop stuff. They were quiet new and were quiet after 15K miles with no noticeable wear.

I have 315/70 17 Duratracs on my Jeep now. Balanced on the first try. Cant give much of an opinion as i only have 100 miles on them.

I would think you'll be fine either way and for what you'll do, it's splitting hairs. Choose the one that looks the best to you. Check their weights and price go from there.

My vote goes to Duratrac. Good luck with your decision. You'll have to make it on your own. Can't rely on Internet opinions. LOL.

pepatrick 06-05-2013 02:51 PM

Got the 33" Duratracs..I have 6500 miles on them since January..and no issues balancing them. Took them in to Discount tire last week to do a 5 wheel rotate and balance. They did not have to do anything to balance them..there were still perfect from the original install. They are quiet, handle well and hardly look like they have been used at all (comparing it to the 5th wheel/tire)

dontlaughmeow 06-05-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollar (Post 3828724)
I tried BFG A/T on my Xterra and couldn't get them balanced after 6 tries. So I swapped them for Duratracs and had no problems. They were quite stiff since I had them in E load. Never had a sidewall issue and I hit trails in Moab and CO Alpine Loop stuff. They were quiet new and were quiet after 15K miles with no noticeable wear.

I have 315/70 17 Duratracs on my Jeep now. Balanced on the first try. Cant give much of an opinion as i only have 100 miles on them.

I would think you'll be fine either way and for what you'll do, it's splitting hairs. Choose the one that looks the best to you. Check their weights and price go from there.

My vote goes to Duratrac. Good luck with your decision. You'll have to make it on your own. Can't rely on Internet opinions. LOL.

Thanks, I think I'm going with Duratrac, they just look better, and you're right, it is splitting hairs. They are cheaper and there is also a rebate on them right now.

Is it just me or does the tread pattern on the BFG's look like brains?

utlax18 06-05-2013 03:12 PM

Try looking at the Kelly Safari TSR's. Same tire as the Durtrack (same mfg) but cheaper. I have them on my JKU 285/70/17 and love them. Have a little over 6000 miles on them.

Adrian87GN 06-05-2013 03:13 PM

I've got the BFG KM's and dig them, a bit more aggressive looking than the KO's.

dontlaughmeow 06-05-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian87GN (Post 3828837)
I've got the BFG KM's and dig them, a bit more aggressive looking than the KO's.

Adrian87GN, do you have a photo of your BFG KM's on your rig?

Muddr1 06-05-2013 06:33 PM

I have bfg on my Tj and duratracks on my Jk. They both, to me, handle great. Neither tire is real loud. Even with the doors off, the duratracks arent loud. That being said, I like the looks of the duratracks better. They are a little more agressive. I dont htink youll be dissapointed in your decision.

One thing I would look into, and totally your call. I went from 17'' to 16'' and was able to get the tires almost a hundred bucks cheaper. Just a though.

Good luck.

rics1997 06-05-2013 07:16 PM

Usually better for BFG in hot weather and Duratrac's in cold weather. Not that both can't be run in either. The Duratrac's have a higher snow rating. The BFG will last longer with it's harder rubber over the soft rubber on the Duratrac's. The Duratrac's usually beats the BFG in the weight department. One big complaint I have with the BFG is it's weight. Look wise, the Duratrac's look more aggressive almost like a MT in looks only and the BFG looks like a standard AT

pepatrick 06-05-2013 07:33 PM

The Kelly Safari TSRs are great tires too. When I priced my Duratracs there was not that much difference in price. The tread pattern is different, but you can tell it is very related. I would go with Kelly's if the price were significant. I have a buddy that has them and they ride just like the Duratracs..

Quote:

Originally Posted by utlax18 (Post 3828833)
Try looking at the Kelly Safari TSR's. Same tire as the Durtrack (same mfg) but cheaper. I have them on my JKU 285/70/17 and love them. Have a little over 6000 miles on them.

damndirtydog 06-05-2013 07:34 PM

New Duratracs have an "E" rating and are 3 ply instead of the previous 2 ply.
I have 305/70/16 about 6 months old now.
These things are the bomb offroad, they grip in any kind of terrain, sand, clay, rock. I would not prefer them if you do a lot of highway driving. For every day driving they handle as well as a less agressive all terrain.
I can't wait to wear these down so I can buy a set of 35" DT's!