Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Jeep Lean? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-lean-247380.html)

manc1n1 06-05-2013 03:15 PM

Jeep Lean?
 
My brand new 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon 4-Door leans a couple inches to the passenger side and I don't know why. I don't know if it's normal or how to fix it. Any advice?

gsn 06-05-2013 03:19 PM

Normal. Some people say it is because of the gas tank, others because it is direction in which engine torque is constantly applied on a wrangler, bla bla. I just know people fix it by using coil spacers on the right coil that has the most sag, or both right coils, 1" for example.

Measure the left and right coils from where they sit, up to the frame, to know how much its leaning. Then you can get spacers closer to the amount.

manc1n1 06-05-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsn (Post 3828867)
Normal. Some people say it is because of the gas tank, others because it is direction in which engine torque is constantly applied on a wrangler, bla bla. I just know people fix it by using coil spacers on the right coil that has the most sag, or both right coils, 1" for example.

Measure the left and right coils from where they sit, up to the frame, to know how much its leaning. Then you can get spacers closer to the amount.

The right coils you are referring to with more sag is obviously the passenger side as if you were looking at it from the back of the car?

SilverSport 06-05-2013 03:27 PM

I don't believe a "couple of inches" is normal. My year old 2012 has no lean and we are talking about a brand new 2013.

gsn 06-05-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manc1n1 (Post 3828882)
The right coils you are referring to with more sag is obviously the passenger side as if you were looking at it from the back of the car?

Yes, passenger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3828894)
I don't believe a "couple of inches" is normal. My year old 2012 has no lean and we are talking about a brand new 2013.

I would say it shouldn't exceed more than one inch of sag. More than that and the coils are probably toast. Mine has approx .60 sag towards passenger, also a year old 2012 :(. It could also be the coils themselves, too many variables. Different brands or production runs yield different results.

But if you do a google search you will see there are hundreds if not thousands of threads about this. The obvious thing is, that its towards passenger nearly all the time. So there is something external affecting only the right coils.

manc1n1 06-05-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsn (Post 3828918)
Yes, passenger.

I would say it shouldn't exceed more than one inch of sag. More than that and the coils are probably toast. Mine has approx .60 sag towards passenger, also a year old 2012 :(. It could also be the coils themselves, too many variables. Different brands yield different results.

But if you do a google search you will see there are hundreds if not thousands of threads about this.

How would I measure the sag?

gsn 06-05-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manc1n1 (Post 3828925)
How would I measure the sag?

Errrm, I do it how the aev guide of control arm brackets state. Where the coils sit up to the frame.

http://aev-conversions.com/isheets/D...lustration.jpg

Or from the ground to the frame could work.

manc1n1 06-05-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsn (Post 3828936)
Errrm, I do it how the aev guide of control arm brackets state. Where the coils sit up to the frame.

Or from the ground to the frame could work.

Thanks!

Abnormal-JK 06-05-2013 03:46 PM

Curious... does the amount of gas in the vehicle change it?

My '12 JK Sport 2 door sits level, but it does feel like it rolls over more to the right than left when going around corners of equal radius.

manc1n1 06-05-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abnormal-JK (Post 3828957)
Curious... does the amount of gas in the vehicle change it?

My '12 JK Sport 2 door sits level, but it does feel like it rolls over more to the right than left when going around corners of equal radius.

Idk ill take note to this when I go out, I'm currently at 3/4 of a tank right now but I don't think this affects the lean

gsn 06-05-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abnormal-JK (Post 3828957)
Curious... does the amount of gas in the vehicle change it?

My '12 JK Sport 2 door sits level, but it does feel like it rolls over more to the right than left when going around corners of equal radius.

More gas, more weight. The entire weight of the tank is on the passenger side. Some people say they see a tiny decrease in height with a full tank, others say they lose more than "tiny".

In my case, the gas tank does not affect the sag, it is still there with or without a full tank.

highwayman 06-05-2013 03:51 PM

Until you go with coilovers, you'll have it. Like others have said its pretty much considered by now normal and there's a bazillion threads on it. General consensus is gas doesn't make much of a difference. Jeeps are like sacks & lean to the right.

kenb1023 06-05-2013 04:02 PM

Is this with or without someone in the driver's seat? Just curious. It could be to offset the driver's weight. I'm just pulling a straws here I know nothing.
:whistling:

legitposter 06-05-2013 04:11 PM

Remember... When the jeep is built a worker will grab whatever spring out of the parts bin and install it. Its well documented on the forums of people getting different spring rates on some of their corners. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has a noticeably different spring rate installed on an affected corner.

OP, climb under there and get your spring part numbers and post them here.

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenb1023 (Post 3828991)
Is this with or without someone in the driver's seat? Just curious. It could be to offset the driver's weight. I'm just pulling a straws here I know nothing.
:whistling:

Without. But I've sat in it too and my dad still said it was leaning.

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitposter (Post 3829025)
Remember... When the jeep is built a worker will grab whatever spring out of the parts bin and install it. Its well documented on the forums of people getting different spring rates on some of their corners. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has a noticeably different spring rate installed on an affected corner.

OP, climb under there and get your spring part numbers and post them here.

Okay, thank you!

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitposter (Post 3829025)
Remember... When the jeep is built a worker will grab whatever spring out of the parts bin and install it. Its well documented on the forums of people getting different spring rates on some of their corners. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has a noticeably different spring rate installed on an affected corner.

OP, climb under there and get your spring part numbers and post them here.

The front 2 are 6819 and back 2 are 6802

ilikeguns 06-05-2013 04:25 PM

a couple of inches just doesn't seem right to me.. are all the springs sitting in their perches correctly?

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeguns (Post 3829065)
a couple of inches just doesn't seem right to me.. are all the springs sitting in their perches correctly?

I just measured it I think it's about an inch difference but looks bigger from farther away

kenb1023 06-05-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manc1n1 (Post 3829080)
I just measured it I think it's about an inch difference but looks bigger from farther away

Do you say that to all the girls? :rofl:

Jeeps_and_Boats 06-05-2013 04:30 PM

Are you parking near a fire hydrant on the drivers side? Close to the rear wheel?

SilverSport 06-05-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeguns (Post 3829065)
a couple of inches just doesn't seem right to me.. are all the springs sitting in their perches correctly?

That's what I'm thinking. A bit of lean isn't unusual, but a couple of inches?
But.......is the OP just estimating the lean? Is it really this much?

OP - give us the complete numbers off the tags on the springs.

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeps_and_Boats (Post 3829087)
Are you parking near a fire hydrant on the drivers side? Close to the rear wheel?

No I'm in my garage

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3829088)

That's what I'm thinking. A bit of lean isn't unusual, but a couple of inches?
But.......is the OP just estimating the lean? Is it really this much?

OP - give us the complete numbers off the tags on the springs.

Back 2- 68024461AA
Front 2- 68196006AA

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 258044



Attachment 258046

Abnormal-JK 06-05-2013 04:41 PM

Is it like this outside the garage?... It appears, from the bottom image that the garage floor and the bottom of the Jeep are parallel... throw a 4' level on the floor and the Jeep and see...

maybe the house is jacked?

Jeeps_and_Boats 06-05-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manc1n1 (Post 3829090)
No I'm in my garage

Lol... Not a dog person huh... thats ok.

I didn't really have anything insightful, so please carry on.

kenb1023 06-05-2013 04:45 PM

I don't see much of a lean.

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abnormal-JK (Post 3829116)
Is it like this outside the garage?... It appears, from the bottom image that the garage floor and the bottom of the Jeep are parallel... throw a 4' level on the floor and the Jeep and see...

maybe the house is jacked?

You can see in the first pic it looks crooked but the second it's barely leaning to the right side of the pic

manc1n1 06-05-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenb1023 (Post 3829123)
I don't see much of a lean.

In person it's alot lol I'm sorry


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.