Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Shorty Antenna (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/shorty-antenna-247410.html)

5150Rubicon 06-05-2013 05:48 PM

Shorty Antenna

Guys and Gals,

I know there are fairly long threads on this and I've read most.

I'm getting one. Don't care about AM/FM reception...haven't listened to anything but Sirius for who knows how long.

Question: Is there a WranglerForum.com vendor that I can get one from? I'd like to do my part to support those that support this forum. :thumb:

Abnormal-JK 06-05-2013 07:34 PM

AntennaX

5150Rubicon 06-05-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abnormal-JK (Post 3829635)
AntennaX

thanks

DCR-13JK 06-05-2013 07:39 PM

Just ordered one off amazon like 30 minutes ago.

Abnormal-JK 06-05-2013 07:49 PM

I did the 14", and it works fine. I too listen to Sirius mostly or plug in my iPhone... They have a new 7" that just came out that they didn't have when I got mine. 14" end up a couple inches above the cowl.

5150Rubicon 06-05-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abnormal-JK (Post 3829697)
I did the 14", and it works fine. I too listen to Sirius mostly or plug in my iPhone... They have a new 7" that just came out that they didn't have when I got mine. 14" end up a couple inches above the cowl.

Thanks. Just ordered the Off-Road (13" inch) ANTENNA - 2007 thru 2013 Jeep WRANGLER Unlimited JK on Antennax.com

First "mod"...I know, I know...not much of a mod :dance:

Antenna_X 06-05-2013 08:06 PM

thanks for the support!!

5150Rubicon 06-05-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antenna_X (Post 3829778)
thanks for the support!!

no problem. quick question...assuming it doesn't matter that I have a JKU rubicon. Same antenna as the JKU right?

I'm happy to support those who support this forum...this forum rocks

Antenna_X 06-07-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3829793)
no problem. quick question...assuming it doesn't matter that I have a JKU rubicon. Same antenna as the JKU right?

I'm happy to support those who support this forum...this forum rocks

yes, all 2007 thru 2013 wranglers use the same mount

joeg679 06-07-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antenna_X (Post 3829778)
thanks for the support!!

There's a 7 inch antenna now? Is it for same anywhere, I don't see it online?

ROBDOG1 06-07-2013 09:58 PM

What if I just cut with some metal cutters and plasti dip ?

joeg679 06-07-2013 09:59 PM

Not sure it that would work. I have the 14 inch Antennax and it works perfectly. It's definitely worth the money.

spurscar 06-07-2013 10:53 PM

Just got the 13" AntennaX one from Amazon, looks nice from photos I have seen online.

DallasJKU 06-07-2013 11:28 PM

AntennaX works fine and looks great!!

bfschor 06-07-2013 11:37 PM

What's the idea of these shorter antennas? Just for looks? I always thought I'd want to re-route it and mount it to the spare tire mount and get it out of the way completely.

Abnormal-JK 06-08-2013 05:34 AM

Joeg... Send Antennax a PM... He was talking about it just coming out last week. May not be online yet.

And yea, mostly looks, but it also keeps it from snagging branches in the woods etc...

Knuckles65 06-08-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBDOG1 (Post 3837806)
What if I just cut with some metal cutters and plasti dip ?

Antennas are tuned (and averaged) for a specific frequency or range of frequencies.

Cutting a stock antenna isn't a good idea because you're eliminating that "tune". While you may not notice because you listen (for example) to a lot of stations in the lower range, when you try to go to the upper range, it'll have poor reception. This is the BASIC idea and there's a reason that happens.

Here's some more info that may put it into perspective. Optimally, FM antenna would be somewhere around 120 inches long. Pretty ridiculous to see vehicles with 10 foot antennas on them right? Automobiles run a "quarter wave" antenna. Quarter wave is basically one quarter scale of what a full size antenna would be.

With a quarter wave, the low end of the FM scale would be someplace around 26.5 inches in length. This would be the "optimal" length to receive lower frequencies in the FM range. Mid scale is about 30 inches, upper end is about 33 inches. I believe most auto manufacturers use something about 30 inches (do the math - it's "one quarter" of 120 inches). My lengths may be off a little here or there - I'm drawing on my college electronics/RF experience and that was LONG AGO :whistling:, but this gives the general idea.

A stubby antenna typically contains a "tuned coil" or "load" somewhere internally. This load could be in the base, it could be engineered into the overall length of the antenna, but somewhere this antenna is "tuned" and this makes the antenna "electrically" the ideal length. Ever see a CB antenna was a "lump" in the middle of the mast? Same idea - they're trying to reach optimum "electrical length" in a shorter package. (Completely different frequency range, but the same theory holds true.)

With a stubby antenna, some experience signal loss and poor reception, some don't. Honestly, there shouldn't be an issue if the "stubby" is tuned properly but a lot of radio reception depends on terrain, how well the receiver is tuned, how well the transmitter is transmitting, condition of antenna cable, etc.

Technically, there is no need for a stick (mast) antenna at all as long as ELECTRICALLY you have the ideal length of "antenna" and it's relatively unobstructed. A lot of newer (foreign) cars don't even have an antenna that is exposed - it's engineered into the front or back (sometimes, both) glass.

We won't even get into "HD" digital radio as that is a whole other kettle of fish. :rolleyes: The theory above is drawing on my experience with good old fashioned ANALOG radio. With HD/digital radio, there is no "poor" reception - you either have reception or you don't.

Sorry for the short dissertation, but I thought all of this may be useful for those just wanting to cut their stock antenna. :thumb:

TW CODMW3 06-08-2013 07:33 AM

I have had my antenna x for a few months now. Works good. Looks good.

joeg679 06-08-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abnormal-JK (Post 3838460)
Joeg... Send Antennax a PM... He was talking about it just coming out last week. May not be online yet.

And yea, mostly looks, but it also keeps it from snagging branches in the woods etc...

Thanks!

vmaek 06-09-2013 07:01 AM

Have had my antenna x on for about a week. Love the look of it and I no longer have the stock antenna flopping around in the corner of my eye on or off road. I feel like the reception basically stayed the same, maybe went down a little. Yet that could be attributed to living in NE and you don't always get good reception out of the cities anyways, especially during spring and summer. Either way, absolutely love the look and functionality, I definitely wouldn't go back.

Javy115 06-09-2013 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had mine for a week and it looks a lot better than the stock. Cheap mod that makes a big difference,

Attachment 259378

Barrettmex 06-09-2013 12:11 PM

Go to eBay, i bought mine for 15 dlls, lokes better than original.

Antenna_X 06-09-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javy115 (Post 3841154)
I've had mine for a week and it looks a lot better than the stock. Cheap mod that makes a big difference,

Attachment 259378

I love that color!!

Javy115 06-09-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antenna_X (Post 3843356)

I love that color!!

Thanx man wouldn't have picked any other color.
That decal on the hood looks tough. I ordered one like that in matte black that I will be putting on the hood.

4x4Kevin4x4 06-09-2013 11:43 PM

Am I the only one that likes the stock antenna? It gives an "old times" rugged feel for me.

I don't mod my jeep for looks though. I go for practicality and utility.

To each his own.

deepbluerubi 06-10-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfschor (Post 3838124)
What's the idea of these shorter antennas? Just for looks? I always thought I'd want to re-route it and mount it to the spare tire mount and get it out of the way completely.

Thats what i did. I covered the hole with a trailbadge and put the stock antenna in the roll bar padding in the passenger rearside. My next choice was to add a power unit in the rear carrier, but was unsure of the longevity with bending of the cable with rear door use. My setup works well enough for me. I like a cleaner look and no one can poke themselves with it or get banged around or broken off.

tabber02 06-10-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfschor (Post 3838124)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4Kevin4x4 (Post 3843720)
Am I the only one that likes the stock antenna? It gives an "old times" rugged feel for me.

I don't mod my jeep for looks though. I go for practicality and utility.

To each his own.

off roading. i guess some folks do it for the looks, but the places i wheel get overgrown with underbrush frequently... the shorter antenna doesn't get hung up or beat my a-pillar up. :thumb: i lost a little bit of reception out in the sticks... but the endless hours of entertainment picking up truckers from my CB... more than make up for that.

5150Rubicon 06-10-2013 11:23 AM

Got it today

My first "mod" :rolleyes:

I was going to do a mod video or list the steps it took to install this...but it would just be too complex, you'll have to figure it out yourself :D

Thanks antennax...looks sweet.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6c2a0ee.jpg

Antenna_X 06-10-2013 09:29 PM

yes, we tout this short antenna as the cheapest mod you can do yourself, and it does serve a purpose when going off road as I have heard the stock antenna can snap back and crack a windshield

Oberst Hajj 06-11-2013 09:07 AM

Just ordered mine. I got tired of the stock one getting snagged by branches on the trail and bouncing off my KC lights.