Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   New Mexico Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f52/)
-   -   Moab Trip August 2013 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f52/moab-trip-august-2013-a-247598.html)

Commandocon 06-06-2013 01:25 PM

Moab Trip August 2013

I take my Jeep and family to Moab once a year for a little get away and some great wheelin, this year will be the same but in the new JKUR. I heard quite a bit of interest last nite at TP which would be great if a group of us could all get away and wheel Moab. I have scheduled vacation at work from Aug 23 all thru Sept 2. I checked and seems there is no major event that week. Most hotels have 5 to 8 rooms available. There are also camping sites. If anyone wants to room with another some money can be saved there to. Its only a 5 hour trip give or take so hiting the trails the same day we leave is easy to do. The weather there is very much like it is here now, nice and cool mornings and cools off quick in the evenings. I have been on at least 12 trails there and know my way around really well but try to always get in a new trail ive never been on before. Depending on schedules a 3 , 4 or 5 day trip is ok. Then we all have the big labor day weekend to look forward to after to enjoy when we get back. Some hotels will give discounts if we stay at the same one. Most of Moab trails have bypass on them and nearly all of them have reviews online with what most would recommend is needed to wheel it, lockers, 35s, stock , etc... I can also give opinions on whats needed. Its 11 weeks away so theres time for building up your rig, scheduling and planning and saving. Let me know.:thumb:

Commandocon 06-07-2013 09:45 AM

Thanks for your PMs of interest, should be fun. However elsewhere haters gonna hate, flamers gonna flame LOL :D so ** safety disclaimer** It will be Aug, here, there, everywhere and will be hot, most likely to hit 100F so pack your industrial make-up that wont run, hair gel that will stick, and there is plenty of sand there if the ole mangina runs out, bwuahahaha:rofl: it comes down to a fun few days in Moab with good people good food good beer that dont put their rig on the shelf due to heat, lets have some fun.

NMBruce 06-07-2013 01:47 PM

would love to go, but no way to get that time of work, maybe next year

Commandocon 06-07-2013 04:13 PM

sounds good Bruce, we will get some wheelin in one day, im 5 mins from puerco

Darkfire 06-07-2013 10:07 PM

would love to go also but school starts on the 15th so no long get a ways for me

BigJK 07-10-2013 02:07 PM

I made reservations for Aug 30-Sept 3. Bringing the Jk and a buddy with a Defender 90.

Commandocon 07-10-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJK (Post 3946696)
I made reservations for Aug 30-Sept 3. Bringing the Jk and a buddy with a Defender 90.

Great,can't wait to see that Hemi JKUR in action, im reserved as well

Commandocon 07-15-2013 10:11 PM

We are starting to decide our trails. 35s, lockers, armor, a willingness but not a necessity for breakage and body damage, a love for crawling, off camber, tricycling and fun are a few things to bring with you to Moab. We will be running Poison Spider Mesa, Behind The Rocks pictured here

2012 Moab Easter Jeep Safari Golden Spike Trail - YouTube

MOAB EJS 2013 - YouTube

Also running Cliff Hanger here :eek:

MOAB Cliffhanger 2013 with Teraflex - YouTube

Golden Spike will be done

JKA JKAdventure.com Moab EJS 2013 Poison Spider Mesa Golden Spike Gold Bar Rim - YouTube

abqtj 07-15-2013 10:12 PM

I like Rusty Nail, personally...one of my favs there

Commandocon 07-15-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abqtj (Post 3966508)
I like Rusty Nail, personally...one of my favs there

One of mine to Steve, we ran it backwards, after the crack, here is no left turn but its no right this day..that is the edge of the world up there...

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6f441bf3.jpg

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...psc9fdb4fa.jpg

abqtj 07-15-2013 10:27 PM

Nice! I've never run in backwards, definitely a different trail that direction.

How's the entrance obstacle that direction? Hard to drop down off of?

Big-T 07-15-2013 10:35 PM

Great Pic's Paul!! looks like a good time for sure, We'll be there in Oct for a week doing a fall Moab Run. Your old TJ is Awesome!!!

Commandocon 07-15-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abqtj (Post 3966584)
Nice! I've never run in backwards, definitely a different trail that direction.

How's the entrance obstacle that direction? Hard to drop down off of?

Riffraff? I had a winch line with slack hooked to the rear of the tiny TJ, just in case LOL. I feel like Mr and Mrs Smith when he said "we are going to have to redo everything" lol but in the JK

Commandocon 07-15-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-T (Post 3966623)
Great Pic's Paul!! looks like a good time for sure, We'll be there in Oct for a week doing a fall Moab Run. Your old TJ is Awesome!!!

Thanks, I need an update on this one for sure..

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6e52bfa1.jpg

abqtj 07-15-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandocon (Post 3966624)
Riffraff? I had a winch line with slack hooked to the rear of the tiny TJ, just in case LOL. I feel like Mr and Mrs Smith when he said "we are going to have to redo everything" lol but in the JK

yeah that's it.

One time we walked up nearly everything...the whole group did.

Another time it took us 11ty billion tries to get us all up.

That thing changes as much as the Puerco!

Walle 07-19-2013 10:26 AM

So I am pretty sure I am going. It depends on when my family decides to come visit. But for now, I am a go.

Commandocon 07-19-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walle (Post 3979908)
So I am pretty sure I am going. It depends on when my family decides to come visit. But for now, I am a go.

Sounds good,its coming up soon,cant wait

msencan 08-10-2013 03:52 AM

Any room for a JKU Rubicon, stock except front bumper and winch?
I'll be hitting Moab on a two-week roadtrip with couple friends, and would love to tag along at least partways. Will camp..

Commandocon 08-10-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msencan (Post 4061584)
Any room for a JKU Rubicon, stock except front bumper and winch?
I'll be hitting Moab on a two-week roadtrip with couple friends, and would love to tag along at least partways. Will camp..

Always room, stock JKUR is very capable, lockers, sliders, armor, discons, added winch, message me so we can trade info.

msencan 08-11-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandocon (Post 4062051)
Always room, stock JKUR is very capable, lockers, sliders, armor, discons, added winch, message me so we can trade info.

You just made my day :)

BigJK 08-13-2013 10:54 AM

Bump

Leaving ABQ Friday afternoon on the 30th if anyone wants to caravan.

Commandocon 08-13-2013 12:29 PM

Fellow Jeepers from pirate will be joining us , possibly caravaning in from Farmington and Durango, one is coming in from SoCal. : )

BigJK 08-13-2013 01:19 PM

Btw, I can lead Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Cliffhanger, Moab Rim, Pritchett, and Hells Revenge. The others I've done, but someone with more time on them would be better. And should we decide to to pritchett, I'd prefer to vet the participating jeeps. It's no fun to break stuff in the middle of that one.

abqtj 08-13-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJK (Post 4073070)
Btw, I can lead Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Cliffhanger, Moab Rim, Pritchett, and Hells Revenge. The others I've done, but someone with more time on them would be better. And should we decide to to pritchett, I'd prefer to vet the participating jeeps. It's no fun to break stuff in the middle of that one.

Yes it is:)

We had to recover a friend's old cruiser that was very well built from there on the middle of the night one time. It was an awesome break but sure did kill our day.

BigJK 08-29-2013 10:29 AM

I'm hoping to get out of town toward Moab around lunch or early afternoon tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting some new folks and wheeling some great Moab trails.

Lbear 08-29-2013 10:47 AM

The Red Rock Four Wheelers are having their Labor Day Safari and Camp Out this weekend at Moab. I am arriving tomorrow night (not doing the safari) and staying through Tuesday. As a noob to Moab and with a non-lifted Rubicon I will be doing the lighter trails. Would love to wheel with someone experienced and especially since doing Fins on Tuesday. Gecko green (see avatar) so if you would like to edumicate me it would be most appreciated. Give me a shout if you see me.

Commandocon 08-29-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJK (Post 4133755)
I'm hoping to get out of town toward Moab around lunch or early afternoon tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting some new folks and wheeling some great Moab trails.

Im all packed, JK is loaded, leaving 9am tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbear (Post 4133802)
The Red Rock Four Wheelers are having their Labor Day Safari and Camp Out this weekend at Moab. Give me a shout if you see me.

Yes Ive been reading about your event, should be fun to meet wheelers from all over the states and hit some trails. :punk:

Commandocon 09-02-2013 10:18 PM

Great time, great rigs, great weather, little bit of carnage, 1 lower control arm bolt, 1 ARB line, fixed in minutes. Many thanks to Bill, Kelly, and Matt. We ran Poison Spyder Mesa, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, and Cliff Hanger. Cliff Hanger was swallowing my 37s like they were 31s, extremely washed out, Bill on 40s scraped his under armor and i knew i was in for a long day on my 37s LOL. But was a blast getting to see and listen to that Hemi run.

*******Slide Link MOAB 2013 Slideshow by plgrgry | Photobucket Slide Link *******;)

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d354797.jpg

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...psa3e9807e.jpg

******Slide Link Cliff Hanger 2013 Slideshow by plgrgry | Photobucket Slide Link ******;)

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9abebc0d.jpg

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...ps85f36992.jpg

Darkfire 09-02-2013 10:38 PM

Looks likes fun, I'm glad you guys had good time and made it out relatively unscaved.

Commandocon 09-03-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 4230833)
Looks likes fun, I'm glad you guys had good time and made it out relatively unscaved.

Thanks, very good, with over a decade of combined experience on Moab trails we made out pretty good. More to come.

Moab 2013 - YouTube