Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Dizzy for my 4.2L (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/dizzy-for-my-4-2l-247652.html)

Ritchie 06-06-2013 03:58 PM

Dizzy for my 4.2L

What would be a good dizzy and carb to run? I have a webber I'm running but I'm not impressed

BCDonny 06-06-2013 07:04 PM

get a HEI dizzy and motorcraft 2150 carb all can be had on eBay

Ritchie 06-06-2013 11:34 PM

Is that going to have alot of adjustment? Ima plug and play kinda guy

roadyrob 06-07-2013 07:08 AM

as you already have a weber I'd just get a distributor first. CRT on ebay sells a good HEI dizzy, be sure to change the plug wires to 8mm (he sells them too) its a easy install but you are modifying the motor it will take a little effort on your part.

theoncelers 06-07-2013 08:46 AM

Something your going to have to deal with on a carbed engine is they have to be adjusted . So I would upgrade distributer and then take it to someone that can , and have them make the adjustments...... Also remember carbs do not like ethanol so this is going to be an issue too. I have been told that Weber has a carb rebuild kit that us suppose to address this issue..... I am in the process of finding out about this as we sit here.
And can update as I find out . It's taking me a wile because I have other issues that needed to be addressed first .

indirocz28 06-07-2013 09:22 AM

I recommend the HEI Dizzy from CRT Performance, with plug wires, can be had for $149 on their website.

Also, a motorcraft 2100 or 2150 1.08 carb.

I just grabbed one out of the junk yard last week, rebuilt it, and put it on Tuesday. I couldn't be happier with it. Its running great.

Ritchie 06-08-2013 12:40 AM

I ordered an HEI distributor, but not the plug wires... I put new ones on last week with plugs, but I just got the stock ones. Do I need to upgrade plug wires?

indirocz28 06-08-2013 11:20 AM

Yes, because you need 8mm wires for the HEI distributors higher voltage, also the terminals are different and the stock type wires won't work for the gm gei.

Also, if you did not specifically order the CRT HEI for the AMC 258 4.2L, then you need to get a new distributor drive gear, unless you want to replace your can shaft and more engine parts in a few hundred miles.

CyndiB 06-08-2013 11:29 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Motorcraft carb is smog legal in CA, does anyone know if the distributor upgrade to HEI is?

indirocz28 06-08-2013 11:52 AM

I'm not sure on the SMOG stipulations in CA, but with the MC carb they do not have SMOG functions like the carter bbd had. There is no computer control of the mc2100/2150 from what I have seen, whereas on the carter bbd, there is the IACV stepper motor controlled by the computer, and the distributor timing is controlled by the computer as well.

If you put on a non emissions carb, and a non emissions/computer controlled distributor, I think that they would fail you.

CyndiB 06-08-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3839096)
I'm not sure on the SMOG stipulations in CA, but with the MC carb they do not have SMOG functions like the carter bbd had. There is no computer control of the mc2100/2150 from what I have seen, whereas on the carter bbd, there is the IACV stepper motor controlled by the computer, and the distributor timing is controlled by the computer as well.

If you put on a non emissions carb, and a non emissions/computer controlled distributor, I think that they would fail you.

You are correct about that, there are only certain carbs that are acceptable, but I thought MC was one. Howell TBI is, but that's too expensive for me. I'm just looking to get better mpg and thought the distributor upgrade might help. I also plan to regear the axles, that will probably be my next step.

indirocz28 06-08-2013 01:23 PM

I'm not saying it isn't one, I do know that certain MC 2150 versions ARE made for CA emissions. You will just need to search a bit to figure out what is needed for it to pass.

I do however know that doing the NUTTER BYPASS/ switching to a non computer controlled distributor will possibly make your vehicle fail smog and emissions there .

Ritchie 06-08-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3839034)
Yes, because you need 8mm wires for the HEI distributors higher voltage, also the terminals are different and the stock type wires won't work for the gm gei.

Also, if you did not specifically order the CRT HEI for the AMC 258 4.2L, then you need to get a new distributor drive gear, unless you want to replace your can shaft and more engine parts in a few hundred miles.

It says it's for an V6 AMC JEEP HEI
Distributor late 232 258
4.0 4.2 50k .. And it says it's compatible with my 87 jeep wrangler. Dies that sound right to you?

indirocz28 06-08-2013 04:16 PM

Link, who's it from?

If it is from CRT, you're good to go. But even the ones that 4whlparts or whatever sells have ruined engines due to the drive gear being the wrong one.

Ritchie 06-09-2013 08:20 AM

It's actually from chandlermotorsportsinc Off of ebay Item#320742659887 Will I be able to look and compare to tell if they match?

indirocz28 06-09-2013 08:30 AM

No you will not.

What you need to do is call sumitt racing, and give them that part number and ask them if the drive gear is an AMC drive gear and what metal it is made from.

The issues that people have been having are that the drive gears are harder than.the camshaft, and it eats into the camshaft, causing all kinds of metal shavings in the engine. I have read lots of bad things about the HEIs coming from anywhere but CRT.

Ritchie 06-09-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3841293)
No you will not.

What you need to do is call sumitt racing, and give them that part number and ask them if the drive gear is an AMC drive gear and what metal it is made from.

The issues that people have been having are that the drive gears are harder than.the camshaft, and it eats into the camshaft, causing all kinds of metal shavings in the engine. I have read lots of bad things about the HEIs coming from anywhere but CRT.

Now ya got me all worried... I looked at the part again and It says it's an OEM fit but t doesn't tell if it's a harder metal or not...so I'm not sure what to do

indirocz28 06-09-2013 04:46 PM

Call sumitt and ask what its make of, or the specifics.

roadyrob 06-09-2013 06:01 PM

you can take a small drill bit and try to drill into the gear, if it drills your ok.

Ritchie 06-09-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadyrob (Post 3842762)
you can take a small drill bit and try to drill into the gear, if it drills your ok.

Ughm seriously? Like how small? And where at? How deep?

indirocz28 06-09-2013 07:10 PM

Not sure the drill method is really a valid experiment??

I mean I can drill through all kinds of metals with some of the bits I have..

roadyrob 06-09-2013 08:35 PM

you will be able to tell the difference between hardened steel and soft steel with a drill bit. as to size, just pick one and drill in spot other than the gear teeth, not a deep hole, just enough to see if it will drill.
also, unless you have special bits you can't drill hardened steel no matter what you think.

Ritchie 06-17-2013 02:13 PM

So I put my new distributor on last night... It runs like a beast!! Big difference! Thanks for all the advice!!!

indirocz28 06-17-2013 03:20 PM

Did you confirm the gear? If that gear is hardened, you will be replacing an engine in a few hundred miles.

Cole Noah 06-17-2013 04:18 PM

What all improvements did you notice? How hard was the install? I have a weber as well

Ritchie 06-17-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3869966)
Did you confirm the gear? If that gear is hardened, you will be replacing an engine in a few hundred miles.

I emailed them and they said they haven't had anyone to complain about that before. So maybe it will be fine..... I'm gone pull it back off and check the gear for anything

Ritchie 06-17-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Noah (Post 3870133)
What all improvements did you notice? How hard was the install? I have a weber as well

Starts better.. Idles better.. More responsive... Hell it even sounds better

Ritchie 06-17-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Noah (Post 3870133)

Took maybe 20 minutes That's getting timing and everything

roadyrob 06-18-2013 06:41 AM

the HEI is a excellent upgrade, even if you got the wrong gear it won't wreck your engine in a couple of hundred miles, more like a few thousand for the cam gear to go bad. put some miles on it and check the cam gear, of course once its worn you will probably looking at a cam replacement, but hey, its your motor.

indirocz28 06-18-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchie (Post 3871731)
I emailed them and they said they haven't had anyone to complain about that before. So maybe it will be fine..... I'm gone pull it back off and check the gear for anything

Okay, good. I hope it continues to work great for you. Going to order my CRT one in a couple weeks.