Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Massachusetts Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f90/)
-   -   mechanic friends in Lakeville Area (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f90/mechanic-friends-in-lakeville-area-247712.html)

mattmason 06-06-2013 09:05 PM

mechanic friends in Lakeville Area

I have had my jeep out in the garage all winter and its just sitting there. I have been throwing time and money at it and the damn thing still will not start up. I am so fustraighted with it at this point. I would love it if someone that is a mechanic or has knowledge on 1989 yj's could swing by as I want to get back to the fun especially since he weather is finally worthy of driving the way I like to.
Hit me up either on here or give me a buzz at (931) 542-7312.
Don't be alarmed if you call and I respond with some Army crap as I am up here on recruiting duty and I have to answer my phone that way.

mattmason 06-08-2013 06:40 AM

Basically this is me screaming for help as I am so lost I aint got a clue what I need to do anymore! so HELP!!!

bmpage84 06-08-2013 10:04 AM

When you say "won't start" - do you think it's electrical related, as in dosen't turn over / turns over and no spark - or is it fuel related, turns over, has spark, but getting no gas?

Over in Somerset BTW. Have owned Jeeps since HS, but never a YJ. Went from a CJ to a TJ about 10 years ago so most of my recent expierence has been with the I4 /2.4 & the I6/4.0

mattmason 06-08-2013 10:13 AM

definatly electrical, and ive torn the whole thing apart several times and replaced so many things I can not keep up with what is new and what is not.

bmpage84 06-08-2013 11:30 AM

LOL! Will it turn over? If so, have you checked for spark. Also have you traced all of the grounds, cleaned them, and made sure they are tight?

mattmason 06-08-2013 11:58 AM

wouln't turn over, the starter can be cranked but nothing starts the key being turned kills all electric flow heck the grounds look great and are all tight. lets see I have replaced the ignition switch, starter relay, ignition coil, starter, all the fuses, the relays under the hood, and some of the other stuff like the carb the fuel pump the battery, realistically I am lost and it'll be short of a miracle that she runs again I think.

bmpage84 06-08-2013 12:17 PM

Not quite sure what you mean when you say "wouldn't turn over, the starter can be cranked". Does that mean the starter selonoid is engaging and the starter motor is running but not engaging the flywheel and turning the engine over?

I'd have to physically look at it and listen to it to try and guess further. Been quite a few years since I've had to troubleshoot an older electrical system.

mattmason 06-08-2013 02:03 PM

well the starter turns and engages the fly wheel but it has to be done by touching the hot lead on the starter the starter solenoid is fine and all yea I think youd have to see it all in person to see what is going on as it is freaking confusing like the clock works until the key is turned then it too dies. I am not ready to giv up but I am getting so very close.

bmpage84 06-08-2013 05:18 PM

Possibly an open connection somewhere along the "on position" circuit of the ignition switch / steering column / wiring harness? Seems like the engine circuit is not active when it's cranking therefore it's not starting.
That circuit should be tested with a multimeter to determine if it has 12V across it, and at which point along the route it goes dead.

Have you checked to see if you have spark - between the coil wire and the coil, the coil wire and the distributor cap? Also between the ignition wires and the plugs, and the wires and cap. Easiest to do in a low light setting like the garage. I know it would be hard to do yourself since you have to crank it by jumping the starter.

Did this suddenly happen, or was the circuit faltering intermittently before it went totally out? Anything happen to the vehicle, or any mods done, right before it started that you can remember?

mattmason 06-08-2013 05:36 PM

when it happened yea it was instantaneous, actually I am about to pull the computer as well to get it tested

bmpage84 06-08-2013 05:50 PM

Then it could very well be electronic. I know on the older Fords (my dad was a big Ford guy - no idea why:nonono:) when the little electronic module control went, the car was as dead as a doornail. Try getting one from a bone yard and swapping it out.

mattmason 06-09-2013 09:31 PM

yea I have found that its not that expensive to go ahead and buy new. im going to get a new computer on payday and if I can find a new wiring harness on ebay im going to get that to just replace everything as I figure itll be better to have a little over kill on this project. Still im no mechanic, but I am going to put in as much work as I can as the weather is too nice to not have my jeep back up and running.

bmpage84 06-10-2013 05:56 PM

I'd try the computer module first. Those early PCM type boxes were a PITA because there was no way to diagnose them, and when they quit, things just went dead. If you want a hand testing out the harness let me know.

misturg 06-12-2013 06:18 AM

turn the key to the "run" position. Put a meter on the battery and see if there is a draw on the battery. It sounds like the ignition wire is being grounded in the "start" and/or "run" position.

mattmason 06-23-2013 08:25 AM

Well ive been buisy with work but yea if anyone has some time and some ideas im going to be out in the garage all freaking day at 117 main st. Lakeville ma working on this jeep. trying to get this thing running bought a new ignition control module, but I am attempting to find where this thing is located in the actual jeep and I am trying to remove the computer to get it tested but the location for this freaking thing is not awesome. im just sick of not having the jeep up and running. if you need my number its 9315427312. yea any and all help is needed as I know really nothing about electrical systems.

mattmason 06-25-2013 05:59 AM

This up coming weekend ought to be much the same, stuck in the garage. I'm still unsure if its the computer or the wiring harness.

mattmason 06-25-2013 06:20 AM

Friday night I am going to kick the weekend off so yall are invited to drop in lets say starting at 6pm and yea ill be out in the garage all weekend. come on by and yea byob if your going to drink. I will have the grill going im sure so may as well have this be something to where I can meet some of the local jeepers in the area and not be the stranger. My job often has me working most of the week and I don't get to do things like this as often as I would like! So the address is 117 Main St. Lakeville MA 02347. come on out starting Friday at 6pm or for the military types 1800hrs

mattmason 07-04-2013 04:01 PM

8 hrs of work just for it to keep doing the same thing ignition control mod and engine control module are new and now the starter is toasted, ugh I cant catch a fucking break

bmpage84 07-06-2013 08:32 AM

I feel your pain. I have been chasing a sluggish hesitation & a reoccurring misfire on mine for a year and a half. I have replaced everything electrical, fuel, and sensor related that I think would cause it and yet it's still there. The only thing left to replace is the entire PCM.

I'm willing to bet there's something stupid that's been overlooked on yours. That's usually my luck!

mattmason 07-07-2013 06:43 PM

well next weekend ill be out of my jeep again I hope as I got the son of a bitch to run on the fourth and threw the 5th then on saterday it died again and its something about the starter relay but im taking it to the dealership on rt44 to get it done right. im so sick of this thing going to hell every time I turn around.

bmpage84 07-10-2013 07:41 AM

I hope it works out for you. Not sure how much faith I'd put in a dealership with a vehicle that old. Hopefully they will have a old school mechanic on staff. Most of the kids there just subscribe to the "plug and replace" theory of auto mechanics = plug it into the computer and let it tell you what to replace! Good Luck!

mattmason 07-12-2013 03:27 PM

I talked to the head mechanic already and he said he has about 30 years of experience in it and most of his staff has about 10 years, so I feel ok with dropping it off with them. but yea a lot of places are in the plug and replace mode now I actually called like three other dealers before this one to find out. now the fun of tightening things up on it so its ready to transport there. basically it'll look like my vehicles do when I'm training in the field getting ready for a Blackhawk to pick them up.

bmpage84 07-13-2013 07:40 AM

Too bad you couldn't air lift it there instead of towing it! That would freak out the dealership! :rofl:

mattmason 07-14-2013 09:41 AM

I am Sure someone was like WTF when it got there. I would have loved to see the look on their face when it did arrive. Still I can not wait to get it back and go out and play in this awesome weather for a change.

bmpage84 07-14-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmason (Post 3960580)
I am Sure someone was like WTF when it got there. I would have loved to see the look on their face when it did arrive. Still I can not wait to get it back and go out and play in this awesome weather for a change.

Well if you want someone to go out with let me know. Be happy to shadow you the first time you take her out just in case any problems reoccur.

Greentj05 07-15-2013 06:10 AM

Well a couple friends and I are headed out this weekend if you wanted to air lift it to a trail head!

mattmason 07-15-2013 04:23 PM

Its going to be in the shop til next week. The guy I talked to sounded like he had it on the lift at noon. Still I may want to get out of the house on Saturday if the weather is nice still

mattmason 07-16-2013 07:06 AM

So yea arm and a leg is going to be what I give to get my jeep fixed this time,but they are going to get it back to almost new for me and I am pretty excited about that. Also turns out Chrysler corp was never tracking that my jerp had ever been sold though I am guessing tracking such things back when it was new was more difficult.

bmpage84 07-16-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmason (Post 3967592)
So yea arm and a leg is going to be what I give to get my jeep fixed this time,but they are going to get it back to almost new for me and I am pretty excited about that. Also turns out Chrysler corp was never tracking that my jerp had ever been sold though I am guessing tracking such things back when it was new was more difficult.

Go on the Chrysler/Jeep website. Somewhere on the site is a notification form to fill out for new owner information. Helps in notification of those odd recalls that
come up now and again. I've used it with other Jeeps that I've owned.

bmpage84 07-16-2013 08:43 AM

Yep, here it is:

Jeep - Contact Us

Down toward the bottom of the page. Address or owner change.