Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Forgotten Masterpiece in Cinema, For Buffs Only. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/forgotten-masterpiece-in-cinema-for-buffs-only-247750.html)

TylerU 06-07-2013 04:25 AM

Forgotten Masterpiece in Cinema, For Buffs Only.
 
Aint never going to pay $10 for the hollywood junk they make today, unless it's for the friends/ family atmosphere.. because there are so many amazing films that no one cares to see..

What movies do you recommend or wantin to see? The older the more classical the better.

Here is my top 10 Forgetten Masterpieces:

America, America - Elia Kazan
The Circus - Charles Chaplin
Wrong Man - Hitchcock
Winter Light - Ingmar Bergman
King of Comedy - Martin Scorsese
Koyaanisqatsi - G.Reggie
This Boy's Life - DeNiro, Dicaprio
Chinese Coffee - Al Pacino
Gummo - Harmony Korine
Bottle Rocket - Wes Anderson

Titaness 06-07-2013 02:47 PM

I just saw a classic movie called Indochine with Catherine Denevue <---sp? I really loved it though husband not so much. Subtitled

Oh yes at THe Sting was superb

I'm also looooving The Greatest Story Ever Told And classic biblical epic films or things like Spartacus. I'm just discovering them. Omg-- so amazing

Gone With the Wind.. Wow!

But as cliche as it may seem The Godfather is probably the best movie EVER. I never tire of it. There is another with Richard Dreyfus called Lansky. Awesome!

Oh yes and Neil Simon movies... Biloxi Blues is great as is Brighton Beach Memoirs.

TylerU 06-07-2013 05:46 PM

Good titles..I'm gonna google them one by one, of course except GWTW, Spatacus, and Godfather Duh..

n00g7 06-07-2013 05:54 PM

I like garbage films.

John Dies at the End -- no clue wtf was going on here
Thankskilling -- evil turkey that wears peoples' faces after it kills them
Nazis at the Center of the Earth -- there is a robot hitler
Iron Sky -- there are Nazis on the moon, epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jth4yATniS4

BlueRidgeYJ 06-07-2013 06:03 PM

North by Northwest and Rear Window come to mind, though they aren't too forgotten.

The original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still is great, I remember watching that with my dad as a lil feller.

n00g7 06-07-2013 06:21 PM

Ok, well I like good movies too, so my list of "must watch" is:
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
Psycho (1960)
North by Northwest (1959)
Citizen Kane (1941)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Ben-Hur (1959)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
Goldfinger (1964)
From Russia with Love (1963)
Dr. No (1962)
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Das Boot (1981)
Trinity & Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie (1995)
A Boy and His Dog (1975)
Blade Runner (1982)
Star Wars -- Original and Empire Strikes Back, third is garbage.
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
History of the World Part I (1981)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Alien (1979)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Patton (1970)

Ok, that's enough for now. If you like WWII stuff, WWII in HD (blu-ray or netflix) is REALLY GOOD. So is The Pacific. And so is Generation Kill (Iraq invasion though).

TylerU 06-07-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3837047)
I like garbage films.

John Dies at the End -- no clue wtf was going on here
Thankskilling -- evil turkey that wears peoples' faces after it kills them
Nazis at the Center of the Earth -- there is a robot hitler
Iron Sky -- there are Nazis on the moon, epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jth4yATniS4

that's some different taste you have it there..

TylerU 06-07-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3837079)
North by Northwest and Rear Window come to mind, though they aren't too forgotten.

The original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still is great, I remember watching that with my dad as a lil feller.

yeah the two hitchcock's films are not too forgotten, but goods films though...

But I bet many kids nowadays wouldn't even know the modern Stood Still film is a remake..sad... see what 3D, bluray, iMax, CGI had done to them..

JVLemur 06-07-2013 07:19 PM

One film I watched a month ago, Metropolis-Fritz Lang. It's a 1920s silent German film. Just shows you kids do enjoy good films ;)

Jerry Bransford 06-07-2013 07:26 PM

I like many of the above films, I'm adding the below because they are especially memorable for me...

Das Boot
African Queen
Some Like it Hot
Second Hand Lions
Appocalypse Now (I was there, evoked feelings & memories in spots)

Pennsyman 06-07-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3837146)
Ok, well I like good movies too, so my list of "must watch" is:
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
Psycho (1960)
North by Northwest (1959)
Citizen Kane (1941)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Ben-Hur (1959)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
Goldfinger (1964)
From Russia with Love (1963)
Dr. No (1962)
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Das Boot (1981)
Trinity & Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie (1995)
A Boy and His Dog (1975)
Blade Runner (1982)
Star Wars -- Original and Empire Strikes Back, third is garbage.
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
History of the World Part I (1981)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Alien (1979)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Patton (1970)

Ok, that's enough for now. If you like WWII stuff, WWII in HD (blu-ray or netflix) is REALLY GOOD. So is The Pacific. And so is Generation Kill (Iraq invasion though).

What a list....most of my faves are here...add to this what Bette Davis called the greatest American movie ever made...."The best years of our Lives"...

aelwero 06-07-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerU (Post 3837307)
yeah the two hitchcock's films are not too forgotten, but goods films though...

But I bet many kids nowadays wouldn't even know the modern Stood Still film is a remake..sad... see what 3D, bluray, iMax, CGI had done to them..

many kids nowadays don't realize Total Recall, The Karate Kid, and Red Dawn were remakes... The Day the Earth Stood Still is well into many adults not knowing it's a remake territory ;)

A Bridge Too Far
Cool Hand Luke
The Dirty Dozen
Psycho
The Birds
The African Queen
The Hustler

n00g7 06-07-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero (Post 3837534)
A Bridge Too Far
Cool Hand Luke
The Dirty Dozen
Psycho
The Birds
The African Queen
The Hustler

Forgot this one. Love that movie.

TylerU 06-07-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennsyman (Post 3837437)
What a list....most of my faves are here...add to this what Bette Davis called the greatest American movie ever made...."The best years of our Lives"...

I bet Bette Davis could play a damn good Edith Piaf!!! or hadnt she alteady, idk?

RevCo666 06-07-2013 11:23 PM

Classic favorite: Excalibur

n00g7 06-08-2013 12:29 AM

Watch Trinity and Beyond online | Free | Hulu Apparently this is on Hulu? n joy :)

Also, I REALLY like mystery science theater.

krisbman 06-08-2013 12:39 AM

Mine...

Scarface
Caddy shack
Blazing Saddles
Smokey & The Bandit
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Mad Max
The Road Warrior
Any which way you can
One flew over the cuckoos nest
The deer hunter.

My all time favorite movie is without a doubt...
The Boondock Saints.

Tymarolf 06-08-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3837146)
Ok, well I like good movies too, so my list of "must watch" is:
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
Psycho (1960)
North by Northwest (1959)
Citizen Kane (1941)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Ben-Hur (1959)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
Goldfinger (1964)
From Russia with Love (1963)
Dr. No (1962)
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Das Boot (1981)
Trinity & Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie (1995)
A Boy and His Dog (1975)
Blade Runner (1982)
Star Wars -- Original and Empire Strikes Back, third is garbage.
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
History of the World Part I (1981)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Alien (1979)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Patton (1970)

Ok, that's enough for now. If you like WWII stuff, WWII in HD (blu-ray or netflix) is REALLY GOOD. So is The Pacific. And so is Generation Kill (Iraq invasion though).

You forgot blazing saddles! :)

n00g7 06-08-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tymarolf (Post 3838247)
You forgot blazing saddles! :)

yeah, and young frankenstein

BlueRidgeYJ 06-08-2013 09:34 AM

Anybody mention Casablanca or Count of Monte Crisco (another remake)? How about Ol Yeller, do kids still watch that?

Titaness 06-08-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3838850)
Anybody mention Casablanca or Count of Monte Crisco (another remake)? How about Ol Yeller, do kids still watch that?

Only if their parents hate them. Lol. That best doggone dog in the west does wonders for adolescent angst! or Sounder...I think movies where the dog dies need to be rated "S"
for sadistic!!

Abdul-Hakeem 06-08-2013 02:01 PM

If you like foreign films, I recommend "Baran", "Song of Sparrows", and "Children of Heaven" by Majid Majidi. They are more like poems than normal films, you should enjoy the details and not a big ending. Good for all the family but not simple.

Sincualas 06-11-2013 02:00 AM

To Kill a Mockingbird. Great movie. You can actually watch it in its entirety in The Darkness video game.

TylerU 06-20-2013 12:58 AM

bump! more recommendations! seen some german and italian film lately. Vampyr 1932, Rome, Open City.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.