Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   New Mexico Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f52/)
-   -   Help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f52/help-248229.html)

TK-421 06-09-2013 03:07 PM

Help
 
Okay guys I need help and I didn't know exactly where to put this. I have a 2012 jk sport with RC 3.5" lift. When I'm going 55 or higher and the road is really rough, or I hit a bump in the road, I get death wobble and have to come to an almost complete stop for it to go away. I need tips. I'm in the process of checking the torque specs on everything that was installed with the lift. I found a loose bolt on the axel connection to my front passenger shock absorber the other day while I was in Moab and thought that could have fixed it. But it didn't. My dad has a 2007 jk rubicon 4 door with the same lift as me and he just experienced the same thing while hitting a bump going 60. Anything will be greatly appreciated

Dustin

Commandocon 06-09-2013 03:33 PM

Ive heard most need to check torque on loose bolts, worn out bushings on the upper and lower arms, ball joints worn out, tire out of balance, bent rim, bent axle shafts, as for me when I had a TJ I only experienced death wobble when I had broken a control arm mount, you have uppers and lowers, check the welds on the axle and frame. I didn't even run a stabilizer / dampner shock , only reason I run one on the JK is it came with the kit lol, In my opinion they mask the real issue and will wear out real fast if the real issue isn't corrected.

Jt_Ripper 06-09-2013 04:02 PM

like commadnocon said...

have a friend move the wheel back and forth from 3 to 9 an put your hands on track bar etc to feel for it.. most likely the trackbar... needs to be torque'd i think its 125lbs and you should look into the bolt kit as well.. i had to chase it down... i went thru everything.. track bar balls joints and tie rods to fix it...

good info on DW here.. Project-JK Tips & Tricks : The #1 Cause of Death Wobble - YouTube


and here... WAYALIFE.com : More than just a Jeep - It's a way of life! - DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it


good luck... post up any findings...

Big-T 06-09-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jt_Ripper (Post 3842383)
like commadnocon said...

have a friend move the wheel back and forth from 3 to 9 an put your hands on track bar etc to feel for it.. most likely the trackbar... needs to be torque'd i think its 125lbs and you should look into the bolt kit as well.. i had to chase it down... i went thru everything.. track bar balls joints and tie rods to fix it...

good info on DW here.. Project-JK Tips & Tricks : The #1 Cause of Death Wobble - YouTube

and here... WAYALIFE.com : More than just a Jeep - It's a way of life! - DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it

good luck... post up any findings...

Agreed I was going to post this link as well. How many miles on your ball joints? Are they stock ?

abqtj 06-09-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commandocon (Post 3842324)
Ive heard most need to check torque on loose bolts, worn out bushings on the upper and lower arms, ball joints worn out, tire out of balance, bent rim, bent axle shafts, as for me when I had a TJ I only experienced death wobble when I had broken a control arm mount, you have uppers and lowers, check the welds on the axle and frame. I didn't even run a stabilizer / dampner shock , only reason I run one on the JK is it came with the kit lol, In my opinion they mask the real issue and will wear out real fast if the real issue isn't corrected.

I will second all of this, even not running a stabilizer on my TJ for many years with zero trouble.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TK-421 06-09-2013 07:05 PM

I've got 18000 miles on the ball joints. They are stock. The last stabilizer I had was done within a month. So I figured it wouldn't be that since it was pretty new. I just got the torque specs from online so that's where I'm at now. I'm going to check for loose bolts and what not and let you guys know if I find anything else that is loose. Thanks for the feedback!

Big-T 06-09-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 3842940)
I've got 18000 miles on the ball joints. They are stock. The last stabilizer I had was done within a month. So I figured it wouldn't be that since it was pretty new. I just got the torque specs from online so that's where I'm at now. I'm going to check for loose bolts and what not and let you guys know if I find anything else that is loose. Thanks for the feedback!

Do you know how to check your ball-joints to see if they are loose or failing?

mckey73 06-09-2013 08:34 PM

Might want to try loosening all of the control arms, trackbars, etc. Then jump up & down on the front bumper and re-tighten/re-torque everything.

Jt_Ripper 06-09-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckey73 (Post 3843172)
Might want to try loosening all of the control arms, trackbars, etc. Then jump up & down on the front bumper and re-tighten/re-torque everything.

yep.. look into the bolt kit too. http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/nr...k-hardware-kit

trust me i did the same thing.. got one DW.. got a new stab shock...

took a road trip.. blew out the shock.... was frustrating.. hope all the info helps and you get it fixed..

TK-421 06-10-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-T (Post 3842959)

Do you know how to check your ball-joints to see if they are loose or failing?

I do not. What do I do?

TK-421 06-10-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jt_Ripper (Post 3843491)

yep.. look into the bolt kit too. http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/nr...k-hardware-kit

trust me i did the same thing.. got one DW.. got a new stab shock...

took a road trip.. blew out the shock.... was frustrating.. hope all the info helps and you get it fixed..

Thank you for the link! Ill definitely grab these as soon as I can. It's definitely getting on my nerves lol

mckey73 06-10-2013 12:30 AM

And make sure your tires are not over-inflated, what kind of tires and what size are you running?

Jt_Ripper 06-10-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 3843770)
I do not. What do I do?

for what its worth.. I didnt know how to check either but i said.. EFF IT! and got moog's

figured they would have to be done sooner than later and its a great upgrade..

most likely.. and i am by no means an expert but your stock track bar has had this happen to it...

14mm = 0.551181
9/16 = 0.5625
so the sleeve is 9/16 and the bolt is 14mm or some crap like that.. and it become loose and then a threaded bolt become a rat tail file and eats away at the sleeve and that begins to wobble and transfers to the wheel and you get DW..

I like you was beyond frustrated! reading every page i could on DW.. after ball joints.. needed the upgrade anyway.. i went tie rods and then new track bar.. so far SOLID investments all the way.. JKS trackbar is a beast.. very happy with it..
again im not a mechanic.. just know what your going thru and what i went thru.

I had DF under the jeep when i turned my wheels. he is a library of knowledge.. just gotta feed him beers!!! LOL

TK-421 06-10-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckey73 (Post 3843785)
And make sure your tires are not over-inflated, what kind of tires and what size are you running?

I have 32" hankook all terrain on 17" rims. They have 35 psi in them at the moment but I just got back from Moab and when I deflated them there they were up and over 40

mckey73 06-10-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 3844597)
I have 32" hankook all terrain on 17" rims. They have 35 psi in them at the moment but I just got back from Moab and when I deflated them there they were up and over 40

35 is probably too much maybe try 30 or less. There is a few ways you can make sure you are getting the whole contact patch of the tire on the ground.

TK-421 06-10-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckey73 (Post 3844633)

35 is probably too much maybe try 30 or less. There is a few ways you can make sure you are getting the whole contact patch of the tire on the ground.

That's what I was thinking. I couldn't believe it was over 40. Ill give that chalk trick a try and see what happens!

Big-T 06-10-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 3843770)
I do not. What do I do?

The way I was taught years ago was to Jack up one side at a time, right or left doesn't matter. Try and lift only the wheel you are going to check from a good spot on the axle close to the wheel. Get the wheel off the ground just enough to get a pry bar under it. Lets say your checking the right side first, after jacking it up from the axle, slide the pry bar under from the out side dead center of the tire, use the pry bar to move the tire, basically trying to move the tire up and down. you will be looking / feeling for any kind of movement in the ball-joints. In my experience the lower BJ more times than not will be the one that is worn out. Also you can try and pivot the tire back and forth (front to rear same as the steering movement) the with your hands, to feel any slop. they will have to be pretty bad to feel it that way but if they are you will feel it. Remember it's not steering linkage movement. If you find the smallest little click when you try the pry bar method this is a bad sign, they need to be solid. Then do the same on the other side.
I hope this helps, I am not a professional by any means but I have been wrenching on my jeeps since the 80's and this method always worked for me. If I can help you more help or you have a question PM me your number.

One question, did you install weld on C-gusset's?

Darkfire 06-11-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jt_Ripper (Post 3843872)
. just gotta feed him beers!!! LOL

Let's get it straight I drink beer, I don't eat it.....

TK, it sounds a lot like either track bar or ball joints. Pull your track bar and look at the mounts and bolts. If there warn then replace them (for the 65 ish bucks I'd just order the whole replacement bolt kit and do them all) then check the ball joints. If you off road a lot it could easily be those. Diffidently lower your tire pressure it will help the ride but your DW is something more serious. If its not ball joints loosen everything like micky73 said jump on it and then rettourq it all

TK-421 06-11-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-T (Post 3845168)

The way I was taught years ago was to Jack up one side at a time, right or left doesn't matter. Try and lift only the wheel you are going to check from a good spot on the axle close to the wheel. Get the wheel off the ground just enough to get a pry bar under it. Lets say your checking the right side first, after jacking it up from the axle, slide the pry bar under from the out side dead center of the tire, use the pry bar to move the tire, basically trying to move the tire up and down. you will be looking / feeling for any kind of movement in the ball-joints. In my experience the lower BJ more times than not will be the one that is worn out. Also you can try and pivot the tire back and forth (front to rear same as the steering movement) the with your hands, to feel any slop. they will have to be pretty bad to feel it that way but if they are you will feel it. Remember it's not steering linkage movement. If you find the smallest little click when you try the pry bar method this is a bad sign, they need to be solid. Then do the same on the other side.
I hope this helps, I am not a professional by any means but I have been wrenching on my jeeps since the 80's and this method always worked for me. If I can help you more help or you have a question PM me your number.

One question, did you install weld on C-gusset's?

Thank you very much I appreciate it. And that doesn't ring a bell

TK-421 06-11-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 3847751)

Let's get it straight I drink beer, I don't eat it.....

TK, it sounds a lot like either track bar or ball joints. Pull your track bar and look at the mounts and bolts. If there warn then replace them (for the 65 ish bucks I'd just order the whole replacement bolt kit and do them all) then check the ball joints. If you off road a lot it could easily be those. Diffidently lower your tire pressure it will help the ride but your DW is something more serious. If its not ball joints loosen everything like micky73 said jump on it and then rettourq it all

Cool thanks a bunch! I think that's what I am going to do. I have school until Thursday so ill be doing all of this then. I can't wait to get this fixed. Ill report back with my findings then!

Big-T 06-11-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 3848308)
Thank you very much I appreciate it. And that doesn't ring a bell

I was asking about C-gussets, because if not welded on properly can damage stock ball joints. Stock type B-joints have a plastic / Teflon in them and if they get hot can cause the joint to fail. Not to worry, I was just curious since the ball joint topic got started with the DW stuff. GL

TK-421 06-13-2013 02:38 PM

Hey guys, So i havent loosened any bolts yet but i had my brother pull the steering wheel back and forth and i have a question, how much movement should the draglink have? and the ball join on the axle end seems to move weird. Could this have any effect on DW?
Also could it be that the draglink ball joint is dead?

Darkfire 06-15-2013 08:40 PM

it does not sound good. sounds like they could be bad, does it clunk when he turns it?

TK-421 06-20-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 3864610)
it does not sound good. sounds like they could be bad, does it clunk when he turns it?

It does make a bit of a clunking. It's not too loud but I can feel it too. I'm about to check my upper and lower ball joints but I'm pretty sure the drag link knuckle on the axle end is done.

TK-421 06-21-2013 09:47 AM

Upper and lower ball joints seem to be okay! Didn't get much movement at all. But could that drag link be the cause of my wobble or just something that was damaged from the wobble?
Thanks again
Dustin

TK-421 06-21-2013 09:55 AM

Also, I took the track bar off and checked it. The was very little wear from the bolt but it does have thread marks in the sleeve. Could that be from death wobble? Or the help the cause?

Darkfire 06-21-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 3885271)
Also, I took the track bar off and checked it. The was very little wear from the bolt but it does have thread marks in the sleeve. Could that be from death wobble? Or the help the cause?

Yes that means the track bar IS moving. So you need the bolt upgrade kit and to retorque everything

sevenservices 06-21-2013 10:11 AM

also, try to rotate your tires. If a tire has a bad spot the shaking will move from the front to the back when you witch 'em around.

TK-421 06-21-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkfire (Post 3885307)

Yes that means the track bar IS moving. So you need the bolt upgrade kit and to retorque everything

I re torqued everything and the upgrade is on its way. Just ordered it yesterday. I think I'm also going to replace my drag link.

TK-421 06-21-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 3885316)
also, try to rotate your tires. If a tire has a bad spot the shaking will move from the front to the back when you witch 'em around.

Will do. Thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.