Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Viper Throttle Body (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/viper-throttle-body-248395.html)

brendan614 06-10-2013 11:59 AM

Viper Throttle Body

Is anyone running the Viper TB in their 3.8L auto JK? I've heard mixed reviews. Some guys say they have great throttle response, less gear hunting and increased MPG. Others say they're throwing codes and have had their engine stall. Any personal experience and feedback would be great!

MattK 06-10-2013 12:10 PM

Someone asked this last week. Looks like you would need to do more than just add a throttle body.

nvkid 06-10-2013 03:20 PM

Response-better,less gear hunt-true,better mpg-a bit(1or2). I sometimes get a code when I coast down hill a ways,with or without the viper T.B. (p2173). to fix this I shift to N,motor off then restart,all`s fine. With the viper T.B. you also need to use a larger air intake. I have a K&N. Don`t waste your money on a TB spacer.:thumb:

brendan614 06-11-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid (Post 3845710)
Response-better,less gear hunt-true,better mpg-a bit(1or2). I sometimes get a code when I coast down hill a ways,with or without the viper T.B. (p2173). to fix this I shift to N,motor off then restart,all`s fine. With the viper T.B. you also need to use a larger air intake. I have a K&N. Don`t waste your money on a TB spacer.:thumb:

Unfortunately I already wasted my money on the TB spacer a few years ago LOL! I'm running a K&N 57-1553 Performance intake kit and a Dynomax 39464 high flow cat back exhaust system. I was hoping that the Viper TB would allow more air into the intake manifold. They used to say that your engine is nothing more than a big air pump, more air in + more air out = more horsepower. I'm not too sure about that these days. Your computer is constantly monitoring air, fuel and spark. I suppose the theory is if the computer senses more air flow into the engine it will compensate with dumping more fuel. But if the injectors can't handle the increased fuel flow The engine will run too lean and it's possible that the computer will throw a code because it thinks there's a vacuum leak.

joeinajeep 06-11-2013 07:52 AM

Deleted

GreenRubi 06-11-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan614 (Post 3845120)
Is anyone running the Viper TB in their 3.8L auto JK?

MTH here on the forum installed a Viper TB on his 3.8L manual JK.

Here is the link where he discusses the install and results:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ins...ody-83868.html

brendan614 06-11-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenRubi (Post 3848920)

MTH here on the forum installed a Viper TB on his 3.8L manual JK.

Here is the link where he discusses the install and results:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ins...ody-83868.html

What's interesting is that he's having a similar problem that I've heard before. High elevations seem to have an affect on 3.8 JKs with the VTB. I don't think I'll have a problem because I'm on Long Island and the highest point here is only 400 above sea level. I was also thinking about maybe keeping the Airaid PowerAid TB spacer in since it gets sandwiched between the plenum and Viper TB anyway. My thought process was that it may help with the increased air flow. I'm just not sure if its counterproductive.

brendan614 06-12-2013 06:56 PM

Well I ordered my VTB today along with a 3"-3" coupler to use with my K&N CAI. As of right now I'm leaning towards leaving the TB spacer in even though the general consensus is that's its useless. I may feel differently once I start to do the install. I will keep you updated.

Jkrgv 06-12-2013 09:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan614 (Post 3854395)
Well I ordered my VTB today along with a 3"-3" coupler to use with my K&N CAI. As of right now I'm leaning towards leaving the TB spacer in even though the general consensus is that's its useless. I may feel differently once I start to do the install. I will keep you updated.

I put a viper TB, superchip on towing mode, k&n intake system, modified exhaust. 08 jku with auto 3.73 and 35's. the throttle body made a difference. 100 mph not a problem. No issues, just plug and play, no warning lights.

Attachment 260775

Attachment 260776

Jeep757 06-13-2013 05:34 AM

Considering doing this mod on my 08jku manual, only ive still got the stock air intake/exhaust

JTPhoto JK 06-13-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan614 (Post 3849192)

What's interesting is that he's having a similar problem that I've heard before. High elevations seem to have an affect on 3.8 JKs with the VTB. I don't think I'll have a problem because I'm on Long Island and the highest point here is only 400 above sea level. I was also thinking about maybe keeping the Airaid PowerAid TB spacer in since it gets sandwiched between the plenum and Viper TB anyway. My thought process was that it may help with the increased air flow. I'm just not sure if its counterproductive.

The point is, is that you cannot increase the airflow any more then it already is. The intake itself, and heads already receive more air then they can use.
As far as the comment above, the VTB at 100mph my factory TB can do that too but it is the proper setting on the Superchips (speedo limiter setting) not the VTB.

brendan614 06-13-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkrgv (Post 3855109)

I put a viper TB, superchip on towing mode, k&n intake system, modified exhaust. 08 jku with auto 3.73 and 35's. the throttle body made a difference. 100 mph not a problem. No issues, just plug and play, no warning lights.

I'm surprised you're still running 3.73s with 35s! You have no gear hunting issues or sluggish performance? I'm running 3.73s with 295/70R17 (33.5") Nitto Trail Grapplers and she's constantly in and out of OD. All it takes is a good headwind or a hill! I'm going to regear to either 4.88s or 5.13s, just not sure which yet.

brendan614 06-13-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK (Post 3856169)

The point is, is that you cannot increase the airflow any more then it already is. The intake itself, and heads already receive more air then they can use.
As far as the comment above, the VTB at 100mph my factory TB can do that too but it is the proper setting on the Superchips (speedo limiter setting) not the VTB.

I agree that the engine will only use as much as it needs. But it seems to me that your low-end performance and throttle response will be improved. A larger TB will allow more air in with less pressure on the gas pedal, hence the feeling of a more responsive throttle. Low-end torque should improve as well because of the increased airflow. It's the same premiss as installing a CAI. The quicker the air gets into the engine the more your low-end should be improved. It seems to me anyway...

joeinajeep 06-13-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan614 (Post 3856637)

I agree that the engine will only use as much as it needs. But it seems to me that your low-end performance and throttle response will be improved. A larger TB will allow more air in with less pressure on the gas pedal, hence the feeling of a more responsive throttle. Low-end torque should improve as well because of the increased airflow. It's the same premiss as installing a CAI. The quicker the air gets into the engine the more your low-end should be improved. It seems to me anyway...

The stock intake is not restrictive, the air is not getting in faster, particularly in the low end. Unless you make mods where the engine needs more air (stroker), revs higher (cam), or you force air (turbo/supercharger), changing the intake or exhaust makes basically zero difference.

brendan614 06-13-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinajeep (Post 3856731)

The stock intake is not restrictive, the air is not getting in faster, particularly in the low end. Unless you make mods where the engine needs more air (stroker), revs higher (cam), or you force air (turbo/supercharger), changing the intake or exhaust makes basically zero difference.

If changing your intake, exhaust or both doesn't make a difference then how can companies like K&N and Flomaster post Dyno sheets showing improved torque and horsepower?

joeinajeep 06-13-2013 11:56 AM

edit: nevermind, I'm not getting sucked into this debate again. Someone else can play...

Jkrgv 06-13-2013 08:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan614 (Post 3856579)

I'm surprised you're still running 3.73s with 35s! You have no gear hunting issues or sluggish performance? I'm running 3.73s with 295/70R17 (33.5") Nitto Trail Grapplers and she's constantly in and out of OD. All it takes is a good headwind or a hill! I'm going to regear to either 4.88s or 5.13s, just not sure which yet.

On windy days turn off o/d it's cheaper, other than that Its great. As for the comment above about my 100mph, I do it with 35's, 3:73 and with no effort. The throttle body was one of many engine mods. I'm to chicken to go faster, but she wants more. I run dune grapplers may be a lighter tire.

Attachment 261082

Attachment 261083

brendan614 06-14-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkrgv (Post 3858477)

On windy days turn off o/d it's cheaper, other than that Its great. As for the comment above about my 100mph, I do it with 35's, 3:73 and with no effort. The throttle body was one of many engine mods. I'm to chicken to go faster, but she wants more. I run dune grapplers may be a lighter tire.

That's a nice looking rig my friend! Sláinte!

Jkrgv 06-14-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan614 (Post 3859791)

That's a nice looking rig my friend! Sláinte!

I guess your Irish? Or you just wanted me to google it. Lol

brendan614 06-15-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkrgv (Post 3861694)

I guess your Irish? Or you just wanted me to google it. Lol

A little bit of both LOL!

brendan614 06-23-2013 08:22 AM

Okay so I installed the Viper throttle body this past Wednesday. The installation was a breeze, just 4 bolts and a hose clamp. Because I have a K&N CAI I had to pick up a 3" hose sleeve to mate it to the TB.

I can honestly say that my throttle is more responsive, particularly from a dead stop.

MPGs, it may be too early to make an evaluation but after 250 miles and 1 fill up, there seems to be no change.

I don't know if I gained any HP but I can tell you that going over hills with the cruise control on is easier. I can actually hear a pumping sound, almost like a growl from the engine when the throttle opens when going up the hill. The engine doesn't immediately jump out of OD like it use to.

Before the install I was on the fence about keeping or removing my PowerAid TB spacer. I decided to remove it. It didn't make sense to restrict the incoming airflow. The spacer ID was smaller than the stock TB, so keeping it would've negated the effect of the larger 72mm VTB.

Last but not least, I'm not throwing any codes nor have I gotten any warning lights on the dash... Yet! Before I installed the VTB I disconnected the negative battery terminal. This is SOP when doing any engine mod.

Jkrgv 06-23-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendan614 (Post 3890623)
Okay so I installed the Viper throttle body this past Wednesday. The installation was a breeze, just 4 bolts and a hose clamp. Because I have a K&N CAI I had to pick up a 3" hose sleeve to mate it to the TB.

I can honestly say that my throttle is more responsive, particularly from a dead stop.

MPGs, it may be too early to make an evaluation but after 250 miles and 1 fill up, there seems to be no change.

I don't know if I gained any HP but I can tell you that going over hills with the cruise control on is easier. I can actually hear a pumping sound, almost like a growl from the engine when the throttle opens when going up the hill. The engine doesn't immediately jump out of OD like it use to.

Before the install I was on the fence about keeping or removing my PowerAid TB spacer. I decided to remove it. It didn't make sense to restrict the incoming airflow. The spacer ID was smaller than the stock TB, so keeping it would've negated the effect of the larger 72mm VTB.

Last but not least, I'm not throwing any codes nor have I gotten any warning lights on the dash... Yet! Before I installed the VTB I disconnected the negative battery terminal. This is SOP when doing any engine mod.

In the end when I did mine it was worth it! Plus you can tell people you have a "Viper" throttle body.

JTPhoto JK 06-23-2013 09:13 AM

Are you guys running a programer?

brendan614 06-23-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK (Post 3890726)
Are you guys running a programer?

I'm running a SC Flashpaq with the 87 octane tune.

Jeep757 06-23-2013 10:14 AM

Does the flashpaq stay plugged in to the obd port or is it like the procal, plug it in, program and unplug?

Jkrgv 06-23-2013 10:20 AM

I run a similar set up. I found the towing mode and premium fuel work well. Just plug in, program, unplug! And that's with 35's, auto, and 3.73.

brendan614 06-23-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep757 (Post 3890823)
Does the flashpaq stay plugged in to the obd port or is it like the procal, plug it in, program and unplug?

Just plug it in, choose quick tune, choose your performance level, install the tune and unplug. Probably about 15 minutes start to finish. The tuner also allows you to disable the TPMS and adjust speedo for different tire sizes. If you're interested in this programmer, don't waste your money on the advanced transmission tune. It's very complex and Superchips gives zero support.