Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Squeaks, creaks and groans (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/squeaks-creaks-and-groans-248504.html)

Bigman610 06-10-2013 09:21 PM

Squeaks, creaks and groans

For those of you chasing down noises in your rigs, this may be of value.

It seems like I've been under my jeep for the past several weeks trying to identify where all of the squeaks and creaks are coming from.

I recently rebuilt the bushings and flex joints my Teraflex long arms and hitting various spots with silicone however have had a consistent noise, more of a groan while the drivetrain is under load. While driving, it sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side axle or suspension but today I was able to get a couple buddies to help identify where the noise was coming from. After some time, they were pretty confident that it was under the skid plate covering the transmission.

i took a chance and replaced the transmission mount and there's not a sound to be heard now. Pretty damn excited, y'all know how it is when you start to focus on a noise, it's the only thing you end up hearing when you start listening for it.

As for the process, it's really straight forward. Remove the skid plate to gain access to the tranny mount, switch the old one for the new one and put the skid plate back on.

I bought the replacement mount from the dealership for two reasons. First they had one in stock and second, I've read some unfavorable comments about using polyurethane mounts. It was an expensive gamble that paid off though, the dealership replacement cost $187 out the door.

Enough rambling, pretty stoked right now and my wife is out of town, wanted to share it with someone.

Tjmike003 06-10-2013 09:28 PM

Good job. Always a win when you shut down a noise.

jeeps4u2nv88 06-13-2013 08:23 AM

Bigman, I have a couple questions for you. I am having the same problem it sounds like. It started small and has increased in annoyance everyday. It sounds like its coming from right under the center console or right under the stick shift. Did the squeak only happen when you were driving or could you make the squeak happen without driving the Jeep? Also, did you do anything to try to stop the squeak before replacing the trans mounts? This is annoying me like crazy and have been tacking it for awhile now and have had no luck.

Thanks for the help!

ChaddG 06-13-2013 08:54 AM

prothane, poly bushings squeak ! I replaced my sway bar and sway bar link bushings with poly bushings and it squeaks more than it ever has. <I greased the hell out of them too!>

CrazyBull 06-13-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjmike003 (Post 3846875)
Good job. Always a win when you shut down a noise.

I'd think just getting the wife out of town would get rid of most of the noise. :whistling:

Bigman610 06-13-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeps4u2nv88 (Post 3856300)
Bigman, I have a couple questions for you. I am having the same problem it sounds like. It started small and has increased in annoyance everyday. It sounds like its coming from right under the center console or right under the stick shift. Did the squeak only happen when you were driving or could you make the squeak happen without driving the Jeep? Also, did you do anything to try to stop the squeak before replacing the trans mounts? This is annoying me like crazy and have been tacking it for awhile now and have had no luck.

Thanks for the help!

I was able to get the same sound by rocking the jeep back and forth by pushing on it in gear. However it took a long time to find it this way because I was always pushing down on the corners, compressing the suspension, doing this didnt replicate the sound.

As for trying something to stop it before replacing, I didn't. It was an impulssive reaction that worked out. I almost didn't replace it after pulling the skid plate because the old one looked fine to me and was thinking of returning the new one. Said to hell with it at the last second and put the new one on, glad I did!