Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Waterproofing Seats (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/waterproofing-seats-248584.html)

david95xj 06-11-2013 08:05 AM

Waterproofing Seats

Has anyone used any type of waterproofing on their fabric seats?

I run a bikini/no doors most of the summer. I was thinking of taking them out and spraying them with scotchguard or nikwax, some type of water repellant.

End goal is to have the water bead off of them and not just soak them for the times i forget to cover the seats with trash bags.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

dabolt55 06-11-2013 08:15 AM

Check these out, I have them and water proof.....JEEP WRANGLER TJ SAHARA 1997-2002 BLACK S.LEATHER SEAT COVER items in Iggee Custom Seat Covers store on eBay!

david95xj 06-11-2013 09:01 AM

I've seen those, i just figured some water proofing spray would accomplish what i needed for $15.

JeepReaper09 06-11-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david95xj (Post 3848292)
Has anyone used any type of waterproofing on their fabric seats?

I run a bikini/no doors most of the summer. I was thinking of taking them out and spraying them with scotchguard or nikwax, some type of water repellant.

End goal is to have the water bead off of them and not just soak them for the times i forget to cover the seats with trash bags.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

I've sprayed mine with water repellant. Water beads off as advertised, so a light, short rain won't be too bad. Just note that a water repellant does just that, repels. Its not a water proofing spray. So if you get caught in a down pour or consistently long rain showers your seats will still be soaked.

I did mine just as a preventative for the random showers we can get here in S. Dakota when the doors and top are off. Waterproof seat covers are your best bet.

david95xj 06-11-2013 09:18 AM

what brand did you use?

The Newbie 06-11-2013 11:07 AM

I was thinking about getting seat covers for mine to waterproof them, I have found neoprene ones but is any other kind of material that works better?

JeepReaper09 06-11-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david95xj (Post 3848467)
what brand did you use?

I don't recall, but got it at an outdoor store. Its a tent water repellant.

JeepReaper09 06-11-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Newbie (Post 3848751)
I was thinking about getting seat covers for mine to waterproof them, I have found neoprene ones but is any other kind of material that works better?

Neoprene is wet suit material and if you've ever worn a wet suit its not waterproof. Neoprene looks great, I personally love the look and feel of it but it gets hot when the sun beats down on it.

Wattapunk 06-11-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Newbie (Post 3848751)

Look into the Bestop Vinyl seat covers. They are waterproof and fits well. Neoprene is not waterproof and will result in 'swamp ass".

PitViper 06-11-2013 05:27 PM

Check out a product called Never Wet. Never Wet, Nano tech to the rescue. - YouTube Heres a video demo of the product. This stuff is amazing. It can be used on everything and repels any type of liquid be it water or oil.

PitViper 06-11-2013 06:16 PM

I really want to spray this on the whole body of my jeep. Mud will not stick and even if dust gets on it. Just a spray with the hose the water grabs the dirt then falls off and is instantly dry. No more 3 hours with a powerwasher lol.