Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Front axle seal replacement... anyone done one? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/front-axle-seal-replacement-anyone-done-one-248596.html)

ETOIMOS 06-11-2013 07:57 AM

Front axle seal replacement... anyone done one?
 
Has anyone replaced a front axle seal on a JK before? I'm going to try and get the dealer to do it under warranty when I get back from my trip, but if they will not, then I need to decide if I can do it my self or not.

If anyone had replaced one before and would not mind lending a hand, I can have beer and pizza ready and waiting ;)

Also, does anyone have a good mechanic in Colorado Springs? It might be a good idea to have a good one lined up for any future mishaps.

Thanks.

Nogaro 06-11-2013 02:06 PM

I have not, but am willing to lend a hand if needed, and wouldn't mind learning from someone who is knowledgeable. I am sure it's only a matter of time before I have this same issue.

ETOIMOS 06-11-2013 02:43 PM

From what I've read, it does not sound as if it is too hard... but would be nice to have someone around that has done it before to slap me on the head if I look to be messing something up!

JoabsJks 06-11-2013 06:52 PM

I have, it is not that hard, if you need help let me know, i have all the tools needed. I would order both sides and replace both, i think i paid about 18 per side from 4 wp

JKmuder 06-11-2013 06:54 PM

Plenty of videos out there on how to do it!


Sent from my i5 using just one thumb and tapatalk

jkmohican 06-11-2013 08:20 PM

Yeah not hard at all. Just place a new, even layer of the new sealant. Keep it even, and don't use too much, and removing the old stuff as easy.

LostFedExMan 06-12-2013 11:33 AM

I actually need to do the same but have been putting it off because I've read that it can be kind of a b**ch sometimes. Someone even suggested it would be worth paying someone $300 to do it, so that's the only reason I haven't done it myself yet. Still weighing my options.

Let me know how it goes if you decide to do it yourself. Shoot, let's all just get the Jeeps together and everybody that needs a front axle seal change do it at the same time. It'll be like a class where nobody REALLY knows what they're doing :surrender:

carguyco 06-12-2013 12:19 PM

I wanna go last ;)
Kidding. I don't need one



Yet


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoabsJks 06-12-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostFedExMan (Post 3852975)
Someone even suggested it would be worth paying someone $300 to do it, so that's the only reason I haven't done it myself yet. Still weighing my options.

Shoot, let's all just get the Jeeps together and everybody that needs a front axle seal change do it at the same time. It'll be like a class where nobody REALLY knows what they're doing :surrender:

if anyone is in the mood to pay $300, pay me:D, JK,.... it would be a good idea to do a wrenching party.

with a group it would even be faster. this is how I have done mine.

1. lift jeep and put on jack stands. remove tires.

2. remove axle shaft hub nut. easy if someone steps on the breaks.

3. remove caliber bracket ( no need to separate caliper from bracket) and disk

4. remove one side of the steering link arm, the long one that goes from knuckle to knuckle and move out of the way for easy access to the dif cover

5. remove the 3 bolts on that hold the hub bearing, remove hub

6. pull both axle shafts.

7. remove dif cover bolts, (let the gear oil drain)

8. remove the 4 bolts that hold the dif carrier in place
a. Ensure you mark the carrier caps to ensure it is put back the same exact way it was I usually take a picture to refer back to)
b. when the carrier is being pulled out ensure the carrier bearing races remain with the same side they were in before.
c. ensure that if there are any shims on the outside of the bearing races that those are replaced in the same side they came from.

9. use the high lift jack handle to push the seals out from the out side of the knuckles to the inside of the pumpkin.

10. clean the inside of the axle, to include your tubes.

11. install new seals and put back together in the order of the steps 9-1.
whole process for one person takes about 1:30 mins, with help, about 45 mins.

ETOIMOS 06-17-2013 11:45 AM

I just got back from my trip guys. Once I figure out what my work schedule is over the next couple of weeks, I'd be happy to host a wrenching party at my place. We could knock out the axle seals for everyone an then move on to other repairs needed, mods to install or just look over the Jeeps for any signs of wear or damage... a sort of tech session.

LostFedExMan 06-17-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj (Post 3869286)
I just got back from my trip guys. Once I figure out what my work schedule is over the next couple of weeks, I'd be happy to host a wrenching party at my place. We could knock out the axle seals for everyone an then move on to other repairs needed, mods to install or just look over the Jeeps for any signs of wear or damage... a sort of tech session.

I would definitely be interested in a wrenching party! Let me know when your thinking about doing it so I can get the seals ordered. I would also be happy to bring along some burgers and beers if we're gonna make this happen :thumb: just let me know

joeuncool 06-17-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoabsJks (Post 3853335)

if anyone is in the mood to pay $300, pay me:D, JK,.... it would be a good idea to do a wrenching party.

with a group it would even be faster. this is how I have done mine.

1. lift jeep and put on jack stands. remove tires.

2. remove axle shaft hub nut. easy if someone steps on the breaks.

3. remove caliber bracket ( no need to separate caliper from bracket) and disk

4. remove one side of the steering link arm, the long one that goes from knuckle to knuckle and move out of the way for easy access to the dif cover

5. remove the 3 bolts on that hold the hub bearing, remove hub

6. pull both axle shafts.

7. remove dif cover bolts, (let the gear oil drain)

8. remove the 4 bolts that hold the dif carrier in place
a. Ensure you mark the carrier caps to ensure it is put back the same exact way it was I usually take a picture to refer back to)
b. when the carrier is being pulled out ensure the carrier bearing races remain with the same side they were in before.
c. ensure that if there are any shims on the outside of the bearing races that those are replaced in the same side they came from.

9. use the high lift jack handle to push the seals out from the out side of the knuckles to the inside of the pumpkin.

10. clean the inside of the axle, to include your tubes.

11. install new seals and put back together in the order of the steps 9-1.
whole process for one person takes about 1:30 mins, with help, about 45 mins.

If you get this far shouldn't one go ahead and install sleeves if they have large tires?

JoabsJks 06-17-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeuncool (Post 3871152)

If you get this far shouldn't one go ahead and install sleeves if they have large tires?

Installation of sleeves is more complicated never done one but it would take some drilling and welding on the axle tubes. That is something on my to do list I want to try in the near future, it is recommended for bigger tires. I welded an artec truss, and c gussets on my d30 and it turned out good.

wanderlust 06-18-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoabsJks (Post 3871527)
Installation of sleeves is more complicated never done one but it would take some drilling and welding on the axle tubes. That is something on my to do list I want to try in the near future, it is recommended for bigger tires. I welded an artec truss, and c gussets on my d30 and it turned out good.

sleeves are fairly simple, just a little intimidating. Have to drill a bunch of holes in your axle tubes. I have done a couple sets

JoabsJks 06-18-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderlust (Post 3872379)
sleeves are fairly simple, just a little intimidating. Have to drill a bunch of holes in your axle tubes. I have done a couple sets

intimidating is the correct word specially since ive never done one. but again I had never done a truss and all it took me being bored without anything to do one weekend and did it. so soon I will try it on my old d30


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.