Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   First new car 2013 JKU, advice please (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/first-new-car-2013-jku-advice-please-248682.html)

divideby7 06-11-2013 02:16 PM

First new car 2013 JKU, advice please

Hi all,

I've been a lurker around these parts for a while but today just created an account. I hope to be more active going forward. I am about to take delivery (soon I hope) of a 2013 Commando Green JKU, Automatic.

It's my second jeep (I have a 2001 Cherokee) but my first wrangler and my first new car as I've always had used ones before.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone had any tips of things I should note or take care of with a new car (and anything specific to jeep). I'm not asking about mods or anything - there are other threads I've seen for that.

More like "get the oil changed around 1000/1500 miles" and other tips like that. I saw another thread where it seemed like it was good practice to get it changed early. Anything else related to break-in would be great.

Thanks,
Dan

yacc 06-11-2013 02:19 PM

My tip is get EXACTLY what you want, or don't buy it. Skimping on an option you want, or getting a color you don't care for, just to save a few bucks is a really bad idea. It is a lot cheaper to get what you want up front, pay a few extra bucks for it, than it is to buy something else and trade it in a year later for what you really wanted all along.

panthermark 06-11-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yacc (Post 3849524)
My tip is get EXACTLY what you want, or don't buy it. Skimping on an option you want, or getting a color you don't care for, just to save a few bucks is a really bad idea. It is a lot cheaper to get what you want up front, pay a few extra bucks for it, than it is to buy something else and trade it in a year later for what you really wanted all along.

QFT
(Quoted for Truth)

ToothDoc 06-11-2013 02:26 PM

Hello! This is my first post on this site too, but I am on some other Jeep sites as well.

I have had my new Jeep (Commando Green Oscar Mike Freedom Edition 2 door)for a month and have put 1,500 miles on it. I love that Jeep, it's the most fun vehicle I've owned and I've owned a bunch, new and old.

From reading on other sites everyone recommends changing the oil pretty soon after purchase so I just did mine. It was very easy to do, I like the top-mounted oil filter. I suggest getting a torque wrench for tightening the oil filter cap, it's plastic and I was worried about tightening too much and breaking it.

That's all I've done to mine so far except drive it.

laollis 06-11-2013 02:27 PM

Hello! Congrats! It's a JEEP, not a car.

divideby7 06-11-2013 03:48 PM

Thanks for the contributions all. And thanks yacc, I was given that advice before I purchased the car and did just that. I got all of the options I wanted (remote start, bluetooth, body color top) because I figured I drove my last car for 8 years, if I'm happy with this I'll drive it just as long. The only thing I didn't get is the soft top, figure I'll get one aftermarket at some point.

Scott in Houston 06-11-2013 03:57 PM

Jeep

Toolin Around 06-11-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 3849878)
Jeep

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: