Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Electrical Problems? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/electrical-problems-248741.html)

CommissionerGordon 06-11-2013 06:40 PM

Electrical Problems?

So today I went to drive my jeep and when I started it the airbag light came on and wouldn't go off. Also, while I had the jeep running my blinkers and windshield wipers wouldn't work. Does anybody know why this would happen or what I could do to fix it?

Thanks!!

Big Sarge 06-11-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommissionerGordon (Post 3850330)
So today I went to drive my jeep and when I started it the airbag light came on and wouldn't go off. Also, while I had the jeep running my blinkers and windshield wipers wouldn't work. Does anybody know why this would happen or what I could do to fix it?

Thanks!!

Probably the clock spring. Hope that helps you out.

MOTO X TJ 06-11-2013 08:35 PM

X2 Check the horn too....if its out, I would imagine it is the clock spring.

CommissionerGordon 06-19-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTO X TJ (Post 3850783)
X2 Check the horn too....if its out, I would imagine it is the clock spring.

Everything has been fine up until the past few days. However, I noticed it only happens in the mornings. If I go a tart it during the day it's perfectly fine but in the morning is when it messes up constantly.

Wattapunk 06-19-2013 10:24 AM

Usually clockspring issues would involve the airbag light on along with no horn. So if your horn is out, I would look into the clockspring but if not then I am more incline to think you have a faulty ignition switch since you are getting intermittin no power to the wipers and turn signals. I would get a multitester and check the voltage at the ignition switch in various positions. Try jiggling the switch next time the issue occurs.

Big Sarge 06-19-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wattapunk (Post 3877241)
Usually clockspring issues would involve the airbag light on along with no horn. So if your horn is out, I would look into the clockspring but if not then I am more incline to think you have a faulty ignition switch since you are getting intermittin no power to the wipers and turn signals. I would get a multitester and check the voltage at the ignition switch in various positions. Try jiggling the switch next time the issue occurs.

Original post Had complaints of illuminated airbag light as well

JeepGirl94 07-18-2013 06:55 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread. But we just bought a 97 wrangler Wednesday and the horn does not work and the air bag light is on. The PO or dealership installed a button on the dash for the horn which is a big pita. What is a clockspring and where is it located? Thanks!

Big Sarge 07-18-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGirl94 (Post 3977815)
Sorry to hijack the thread. But we just bought a 97 wrangler Wednesday and the horn does not work and the air bag light is on. The PO or dealership installed a button on the dash for the horn which is a big pita. What is a clockspring and where is it located? Thanks!

Here ya go

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/airb...ml#post1267523

JeepGirl94 07-18-2013 07:20 PM

Big Sarge 07-18-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGirl94 (Post 3977900)

You bet ya!

Maury Moseley 07-20-2013 06:05 PM

Ok, i just purchased a 2000 TJ, within a few miles, i get this...........
Air bag light, brake light stuck on....radio out..... And when i put in clutch completely i get a grinding noise that sounds like starter engaging, but only when clutch depressed fully, let it out some and that noise stops.........i am stumped!

Water Dog 07-20-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maury Moseley (Post 3984865)
Ok, i just purchased a 2000 TJ, within a few miles, i get this...........
Air bag light, brake light stuck on....radio out..... And when i put in clutch completely i get a grinding noise that sounds like starter engaging, but only when clutch depressed fully, let it out some and that noise stops.........i am stumped!

If you bought it from a dealer, try taking it back and get them to fix it...! The clutch noise is likely the throw bearing = pulling the transmission and replacing the clutch. The brake light indicates (possibly) that only half your brakes are working, front or back, and the air bag light could be the clock spring (as above) or some other malfunction.

Maury Moseley 07-20-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 3985162)

If you bought it from a dealer, try taking it back and get them to fix it...! The clutch noise is likely the throw bearing = pulling the transmission and replacing the clutch. The brake light indicates (possibly) that only half your brakes are working, front or back, and the air bag light could be the clock spring (as above) or some other malfunction.

The funny thing is, when i turn off jeep and it cools off, all of the symptoms go away......until its driven for enough time for it to heat up...........

dakotaTJ 07-20-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommissionerGordon (Post 3850330)

Thanks!!

Another way to tell if it's the clockspring, is if you have cruise control and it also is not working. I have a bad clockspring I am going to replace in my 99 TJ, and the horn and cruise don't work. The airbag light also stays on all the time.

blade4804 08-02-2013 08:32 PM

Thread jack... I noticed my airbag light come on and off, radio works fine, I didn't check wipers/horn yet. Howler while the airbag light is on the speedo and odometer drop to 0. Is this also clock spring?