Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Dana 30 front axle leak (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/dana-30-front-axle-leak-248749.html)

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 07:21 PM

Dana 30 front axle leak
 
1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I went riding and got stuck pretty bad, I had water up to my shins when sitting inside the driver seat, So you can imagine I had to give it hell when I was getting pulled out. After I drove it home, I noticed that fluid is leaking from the front passenger side on my Dana30. It's leaking right where the axle ends and meets with the joint. This is just a seal that needs to be replaced right?
Attachment 260414

larjeep 06-11-2013 07:24 PM

Yea but the seal is in the diff and u have to take the while damn thing apart. Both axles and the carrier have to come out.

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 3850496)
Yea but the seal is in the diff and u have to take the while damn thing apart. Both axles and the carrier have to come out.

Dammit, so it's no seal that's closer to the end on the axle? Oh well, probably a good time to change out the diff fluid anyways.

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 3850496)
Yea but the seal is in the diff and u have to take the while damn thing apart. Both axles and the carrier have to come out.

Would it hurt it to drive around as long as there's still enough fluid in the diff?

larjeep 06-11-2013 08:34 PM

No it won't. But it leaks when it warms up.

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 3850780)
No it won't. But it leaks when it warms up.

I read in some places where it said it could be because there's too much fluid in there, do you think there could be water that got in there and is making the diff fluid overflow?

jrmiller 06-11-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole4Cyli (Post 3850790)

I read in some places where it said it could be because there's too much fluid in there, do you think there could be water that got in there and is making the diff fluid overflow?

Only way to find out is to crack the cover. That seal is a pia to replace. You could go with outer tube seals but I still recommend a fluid change regardless.

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmiller (Post 3850818)
Only way to find out is to crack the cover. That seal is a pia to replace. You could go with outer tube seals but I still recommend a fluid change regardless.

Yeah, I knew as soon as I started sinking into that stuff I'd have to change the diff fluid.

jrmiller 06-11-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole4Cyli (Post 3850833)

Yeah, I knew as soon as I started sinking into that stuff I'd have to change the diff fluid.

Glad you got out okay. Looks like a mess.

jrmiller 06-11-2013 09:00 PM

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...&t_pn=ALY11103

Had a friend use these. Still have to pull the diff cover but the carrier can stay. Axle shafts have to come out. Also more expensive than the OEM inner seal

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmiller (Post 3850908)
Alloy USA Part 11103 - Dana 30/44 Black Outer Axle Tube Seals

Had a friend use these. Still have to pull the diff cover but the carrier can stay. Axle shafts have to come out. Also more expensive than the OEM inner seal

Yeah it was a mess! Some lady called the cops because she thought someone crashed. I'll probably end up using those. I'd imagine it's worth working less.

jrmiller 06-11-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole4Cyli (Post 3850955)

Yeah it was a mess! Some lady called the cops because she thought someone crashed. I'll probably end up using those. I'd imagine it's worth working less.

Crazy! And your not very far from changing the inner seal anyway once you get in that far. I opted to change the seal when I screwed mine up because i didn't want to try and clean the axle tube to prevent that dirt and debris from going in the diff.

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmiller (Post 3850967)
Crazy! And your not very far from changing the inner seal anyway once you get in that far. I opted to change the seal when I screwed mine up because i didn't want to try and clean the axle tube to prevent that dirt and debris from going in the diff.

I just hope this isn't going to eat up too much money, I've been saving for a new lift!

jrmiller 06-11-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole4Cyli (Post 3851005)

I just hope this isn't going to eat up too much money, I've been saving for a new lift!


When I did mine the seal was $10 I think. Gear oil was the most expensive thing. I bought some thicker too to help silence my Aussie locker. And then some bottles if brake clean. Should be under 100 unless you do the outer seals.

Jeepfixer1 06-11-2013 09:27 PM

Those outer seals are to keep dirt and mud out of the tube. They would work on helping keep the water out but aren't really designed to fix a leaking axle seal but if you are worried about doing that job yourself the outer tube seal might help buy you some time.

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 09:29 PM

I'm just wondering how I should attack this, I'm 16 and only have about $250. My only experience is in re-doing all of my steering.

jrmiller 06-11-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole4Cyli (Post 3851040)
I'm just wondering how I should attack this, I'm 16 and only have about $250. My only experience is in re-doing all of my steering.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/diff-service.html

Excellent write up for simply changing the fluid. The seal is a little more in depth. One thing to be certain of is to remember which way everything comes out of the diff. What was up or down or left or right.

jrmiller 06-11-2013 09:55 PM

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoD30AxlesSeals.htm

This is the guide I used when changing mine. It's not that bad. You have more experience than I had when I changed mine lol I tore mine up trying to install a locker that I ended up having to install 3 times.

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmiller (Post 3851139)
Jeep Axle Differential Fluid Change Service

Excellent write up for simply changing the fluid. The seal is a little more in depth. One thing to be certain of is to remember which way everything comes out of the diff. What was up or down or left or right.

Thanks! This is really helpful!

Jeepfixer1 06-11-2013 10:00 PM

You should be able to get a decent shop to do the work for that if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Either way do both seals. It only takes about ten minutes extra to do both as opposed to one. Secondly get a good quality seal. I would even check the dealer. If you can get the tube seal too, there not a bad idea IMO. If you are mechanically inclined then you can do it but I would get a hays manual. There are things that really should be torqued back when you go back together. If you had a feel for how much torque was what then you could squeeze by but I wouldnt do that. Especially with your carrier bearing caps. Also if you decide to do it. Make sure when you pull the cover that you mark those caps with a punch so you put them back like they came apart and if there is any shims. That they go back like the came out too. On a 1-10 scale with ten being the hardest then I would rate this a 7/8 with you not having done it before.

Jeepfixer1 06-11-2013 10:04 PM

That's a good write up but like a tv show kinda makes it sound like it can be done in 30 min. But It also has the two most important torque values too!

Ole4Cyli 06-11-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 (Post 3851175)
You should be able to get a decent shop to do the work for that if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Either way do both seals. It only takes about ten minutes extra to do both as opposed to one. Secondly get a good quality seal. I would even check the dealer. If you can get the tube seal too, there not a bad idea IMO. If you are mechanically inclined then you can do it but I would get a hays manual. There are things that really should be torqued back when you go back together. If you had a feel for how much torque was what then you could squeeze by but I wouldnt do that. Especially with your carrier bearing caps. Also if you decide to do it. Make sure when you pull the cover that you mark those caps with a punch so you put them back like they came apart and if there is any shims. That they go back like the came out too. On a 1-10 scale with ten being the hardest then I would rate this a 7/8 with you not having done it before.

I got all summer and a bunch of redneck friends. I think I'll go for it myself. Thanks for the help!

Ole4Cyli 06-12-2013 04:36 PM

I think it's just that I got water in there. I say this because this morning I went to check on it, and it's started leaking from the other side as well.

freeskier 06-12-2013 05:45 PM

If there is water in it don't drive it. Check to make sure your breather tube isn't clogged and replace the oil. If it stops leaking then great! If not replace the seals. You can also catch and reuse the oil if you have to do the seals, no need to throw away new oil.

Ole4Cyli 06-12-2013 06:53 PM

I just took off the front diff plug to see, fluid was a mix of black and tan in color, and it poured out on the hole, that just means I need to change the fluid, correct?

Jeepfixer1 06-12-2013 07:10 PM

It should have been right at the bottom of the plug hole when you pulled it out. If a lot came out when you pulled the plug then you prob. Got a good bit of water in there. The tan color your describing is prob water mixed with oil. I'd pull the cover, clean it with a couple cans of brake cleaner seal it back up, refill and brake clean your tubes out the best you can. Drive it and see what happens. Wish you luck!

Ole4Cyli 06-12-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 (Post 3854442)
It should have been right at the bottom of the plug hole when you pulled it out. If a lot came out when you pulled the plug then you prob. Got a good bit of water in there. The tan color your describing is prob water mixed with oil. I'd pull the cover, clean it with a couple cans of brake cleaner seal it back up, refill and brake clean your tubes out the best you can. Drive it and see what happens. Wish you luck!

That's right. Yeah as soon as I got the plug off, it just started pouring out. Should I use carb cleaner instead since brake cleaner is water based?

jrmiller 06-13-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole4Cyli (Post 3854935)

That's right. Yeah as soon as I got the plug off, it just started pouring out. Should I use carb cleaner instead since brake cleaner is water based?

Brake clean evaporates very quickly. Just spray it and let it sit for a couple minutes

Jeepfixer1 06-14-2013 07:19 PM

Sorry, just saw! Yes as said brake clean due to fast evaporation but carb should also work.

Ole4Cyli 06-14-2013 07:50 PM

I just got done draining out all of the fluid. That sucker was filled to the brim with a water/oil combo. I drained all of it from the diff, but it's still a slow leak coming from the axle ends. Do I need to pull the shafts, or would it be okay to just put the new oil in that I bought?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.