Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New JL setup in the JK! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-jl-setup-in-the-jk-248764.html)

riptide09 06-11-2013 08:18 PM

New JL setup in the JK!

Alright guys so on Saturday I pick up my new JK Sport and I've already ordered new JL C2-650/650X speakers and JL Slash 300/4 amp for it. I pulled the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH head unit out of my car that I'm trading in to put in the Jeep. I plan on buying the polyfill/dynamat for it as well.

However....

Do you guys know of where a write up for installing an amp and speakers is on here? I apologize if there is one and I didnt find it but I've looked for a while and just havent had any luck. Worst comes to worst Ill do my own little DIY! Thanks in advance!

jdambm 06-11-2013 08:28 PM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/201...-217743.html:D

woansleftpeg 06-11-2013 08:39 PM

Check the Communications and Electronics forum, there are loads of threads about replacing speakers and head units in there. It's a pretty straightforward vehicle to work on because of the amount of space in the cabin.

riptide09 06-11-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3850815)
Check the Communications and Electronics forum, there are loads of threads about replacing speakers and head units in there. It's a pretty straightforward vehicle to work on because of the amount of space in the cabin.

Yeah ill start picking through there. Im more wondering about wiring the amp, placement of the amp, wiring the speakers, how to feed the wire, etc. Other than installing a head unit Im a newb when it comes to car audio.

woansleftpeg 06-11-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riptide09 (Post 3850839)
Yeah ill start picking through there. Im more wondering about wiring the amp, placement of the amp, wiring the speakers, how to feed the wire, etc. Other than installing a head unit Im a newb when it comes to car audio.

That's the easy bit. The panels and trim on a Jeep come out really easily, we can talk you through how to do each of those as you need to.

Start a thread on your audio build in that forum, and we can answer any questions and make suggestions about placement, wiring etc.

riptide09 06-11-2013 10:42 PM

Awesome i will do just that. Ill post the link to it on here when i begin the process, probably wont be for a couple weeks as the speakers and amp are enroute now. I still have to go grab an amp wiring kit, PAC RP4-CH11 harness, dash kit, dynamat and polyfill.

TRAUMAhead 06-12-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdambm (Post 3850735)

Your link is broken, need to remove the :D smiley face from the URL.

Lynskey 06-12-2013 08:28 AM

Ive done the same speaker set and installed a JL 700/5, W8 sub, all new amp wiring and speaker wiring, new HU etc. Do a search for my builds for some quick info.

Also post up a build list of your own and ask as many questions as you can. Feel free to PM. A few others in this thread have also done a lot of similar work and we are here to help!

riptide09 06-12-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynskey (Post 3852357)
Ive done the same speaker set and installed a JL 700/5, W8 sub, all new amp wiring and speaker wiring, new HU etc. Do a search for my builds for some quick info.

Also post up a build list of your own and ask as many questions as you can. Feel free to PM. A few others in this thread have also done a lot of similar work and we are here to help!

Awesome! Thanks. Btw how do you like your setup? For my sub later on i was thinking about going with one of the JL shallow 13"s. i heard they bump pretty good and itll save me some space in the back.

nitroz680 06-12-2013 08:33 AM

JL Audio is kick@ss, i've used their stuff for both of my previous vehicles. When the fundage becomes available, i was going to go with some JL component kits as well, but I plan on maintaining an OEM head unit because i dig the uconnect...subscribed

riptide09 06-12-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroz680 (Post 3852368)
JL Audio is kick@ss, i've used their stuff for both of my previous vehicles. When the fundage becomes available, i was going to go with some JL component kits as well, but I plan on maintaining an OEM head unit because i dig the uconnect...subscribed

Yeah man i wanted the connectivity group but decided i could just install my Pioneer headunit since it has bluetooth and then just get a PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls. I was originally going to get some Rockford's for the door speakers but i figured if im gonna go "all out" then JL is the way to go.

vacca foeda 06-12-2013 09:12 AM

I've got the same amp and sub as lynskey, but kept went to a 430rbz stock headunit. I know I sacrificing quality on the source, but I liked the plug and play, and I liked the stock look.

I've been very happy with the sub and amp

nitroz680 06-12-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynskey (Post 3852357)

ok so you've got a 5 channel amp. let me try and talk myself through your set up... do you have a component kit or do you have individual speakers?

if you went with the individual speakers, i take it that you've got 1 channel per speaker and 1 channel for the sub?

mind if i ask what 6.5" and tweeter speakers you went with?

nitroz680 06-12-2013 09:19 AM

nevermind, found your build

riptide09 06-18-2013 01:18 PM

Alright guys the 2013 Wrangler is in the driveway, I love it just as much as I thought it would, and more. However, the audio is something terrible. Not only does the soundbar seem practically non-existent but the left side speaker/tweeter has a short in it and plays intermittently. Luckily I get my JL C2-650's in today for the front/soundbar speakers! Im heading down to the local audio shop today to pick up the wiring harness for my Pioneer AVHP8400 (so I can retain the steering wheel audio controls) and the dash kit/antenna as well as some dynamat and polyfill. The install is ready to begin and I will make sure to document it all on here!

Cant wait :D

nitroz680 06-18-2013 02:44 PM

yo riptide are you upgrading the sub or staying with the alpine one that came stock?

riptide09 06-18-2013 06:11 PM

I actually didnt get the alpine option because i knew as soon as i was getting it i was gonna rip the speakers out. Sub will come later as i wanted to do all of the door speakers and the headunit, being that i went the JL route it isnt cheap, especially on E-4 pay haha. However I plan on getting the 4dr JL stealthbox since i have removed the rear seats. I heard the 4dr stealthbox will fit in the 2dr with the beackseats removed.

nitroz680 06-18-2013 06:13 PM

Stealth box ftw... nice!

riptide09 06-23-2013 08:25 PM

Mmmk so I decided im going to have the local shop install the amplifier, they recommended keeping the stock wiring rather than completely re-wire the entire vehicle, so im going to have them install the amp. However, I am doing the actual speaker install myself, no use in paying them to do something I can. Today I took out the soundbar, removed the stock speakers, used dynamat for the areas that I could actually see, then stuffed polyfill in the bar. All im waiting on now is the speaker adapters from crutchfield so I can install the JL C2-650's!

ahsumtoy 06-23-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroz680 (Post 3852496)
ok so you've got a 5 channel amp. let me try and talk myself through your set up... do you have a component kit or do you have individual speakers?

if you went with the individual speakers, i take it that you've got 1 channel per speaker and 1 channel for the sub?

mind if i ask what 6.5" and tweeter speakers you went with?

Many of us have basically did what you are doing. I went with a 5 chan amp with all new individual speakers. I used the JL for my sub and a remote control knob for the sub which I placed in my console. I put the amp under the drivers seat. I used 6 1/2" hybrid imagine speakers (4 of them). You can take the tweeter out of that speaker (it's made for coming out if you want to) and I put them in the tweeter area of the dash. And of coarse, I used a PAC 4ch line output converter along with a PAC 2 ch adj LOC with auto remote. I retained my original 130N radio. I also replaced all the wiring with better wires which is pretty easy to do on a Jeep. You're going to love your new system once it's done.

riptide09 06-24-2013 11:16 AM

I would install the amp myself but I'm unsure how I will securely mount the amp under my drivers seat, and in addition I am unsure as to how I will route the wiring underneath the carpet to the back of the head unit. I am keeping the stock wiring and will have wiring that goes from the amp to the back of the head unit, then I will be cutting the stock wiring from the stock jeep harness to to connect to the wiring from the amplifier.

woansleftpeg 06-24-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riptide09 (Post 3894079)
I would install the amp myself but I'm unsure how I will securely mount the amp under my drivers seat, and in addition I am unsure as to how I will route the wiring underneath the carpet to the back of the head unit. I am keeping the stock wiring and will have wiring that goes from the amp to the back of the head unit, then I will be cutting the stock wiring from the stock jeep harness to to connect to the wiring from the amplifier.

To securely mount the amp, you get in touch with WF member and buy one of his custom made underseat aluminium mounting plates. I have one and it's awesome; to steal my amp you would need to either remove the passenger seat, or have access to powered cutting tools.

Wiring is also relatively straightforward, remember that your power cable needs to take a different route to your speaker and RCA cables. The plastic trim panels that run along the sills easily pull out, and you can route your cables along there. Carpet lifts really easily.

I can give you detailed pictures of how I did mine, but I'm away with work until the end of the week without access to my Jeep or the pictures on my home drive.

riptide09 06-24-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3894189)

To securely mount the amp, you get in touch with WF member and buy one of his custom made underseat aluminium mounting plates. I have one and it's awesome; to steal my amp you would need to either remove the passenger seat, or have access to powered cutting tools.

Wiring is also relatively straightforward, remember that your power cable needs to take a different route to your speaker and RCA cables. The plastic trim panels that run along the sills easily pull out, and you can route your cables along there. Carpet lifts really easily.

I can give you detailed pictures of how I did mine, but I'm away with work until the end of the week without access to my Jeep or the pictures on my home drive.

Which member is it that has the custom made mounting plates? And ill give the amp install a shot before i take it to them

woansleftpeg 06-25-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riptide09 (Post 3895183)
Which member is it that has the custom made mounting plates? And ill give the amp install a shot before i take it to them

jeepedjeep

st1264 06-25-2013 01:01 PM

JL Audio... my favourite gear! Good luck with the install (hope the speakers fit for you)... you'll have some great sound in there. JL amps are fantastic. Make sure you crossover everything properly, which is something that many overlook.

riptide09 06-25-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3898024)
JL Audio... my favourite gear! Good luck with the install (hope the speakers fit for you)... you'll have some great sound in there. JL amps are fantastic. Make sure you crossover everything properly, which is something that many overlook.

The speakers were actually a little bit too small for the stock openings so I had to purchased some mounting brackets for them to mount properly. While I was at it I also purchased some speaker harnesses so tap into the stock wiring.

As for the crossovers I planned to make sure to tune everything properly but as for right now Im at a standstill until the brackets and wiring adapters arrive from crutchfield :/

riptide09 06-26-2013 08:43 PM

Alright so the JL C2-650X's are installed into the soundbar. After installation i checked them out, I couldnt notice much of a difference from the stocks in the front but I know that will drastically change once the head unit is replaced and the amp is installed. From what I've heard the stock head unit puts out at 2ohms and being that the speakers are 4 ohms they are only putting out half the power. Correct me if im wrong here lol.

RedSectorA 06-26-2013 10:40 PM

The amp will make a huge difference. I just installed C3-650 components in the front along with C2-650x in the sound bar. The amp is a JL HD 900/5. Adding a real amplifier will wake everything up. The stock amp is garbage.

riptide09 06-27-2013 12:39 PM

Also, what are your guys's opinion on speedwire?

9 Conductor Speed Wire Speaker Cable at Sonic Electronix

I got 12' of it from the local shop and figured I could splice into the stock wiring via the jeeps wiring harness. Any thoughts?

mjdinapoli 06-27-2013 12:59 PM

2 weeks ago I had C5-650s in the front and C3-650s in the sound bars with the HD900/5 amp and JL Stealth box sub. The thing bumps like you wouldnt believe. The sound quality now compared to stock is incredible. You'll love the the difference and you cant go wrong with JL.