Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Synthetic or conventional motor oil (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/synthetic-or-conventional-motor-oil-248777.html)

birdy35 06-11-2013 08:47 PM

Synthetic or conventional motor oil

I just picked up some mobile 1 full synthetic oil. My jeep has conventional oil in it from the PO but only has 27000 miles in it. Do you think that it is a good Idea to change over to synthetic or stay with conventional. Also, can I go longer between oil changes with synthetic

matt88-8 06-11-2013 08:56 PM

Synthetic often cleans out engine sludge. And it creeps. It can cause seeping leaks, but my old jeep took to it well. You can always change back. I dont extend oil changes.

Kota7x 06-11-2013 08:59 PM

I think the kind of oil you use is dependent on if your Jeep is a Daily Driver or just a Weekend Warrior. My Jeep is a DD with 104,000 miles on it and I run 10W30 Conventional in it because I change it so often. My Dad's TJ has 116,000 miles on it but is a WW and he has Synthetic, and does a oil change once a year (jeep is only run on the weekends and doesnt go very far).

PitViper 06-11-2013 09:30 PM

x2 on conventional with a DD. Change mine every 3k miles. No problems. Once though a shop put the synthetic in and the seals started to leak so switched right back to conventional.

birdy35 06-11-2013 09:31 PM

Matt, so you didn't have any leaks correct? It is my DD but don't mind spend a couple extra bucks since I live 2 miles from work. The oil and filter was only $44 which is only about $8 more dollars than the conventional with a filter. Just want to make sure I'm not going to harm the motor

jeepwayoflife 06-12-2013 01:51 AM

My jeep had cheap conventional oil until 25,000 miles when I got it. I have used 100% synthetic since with no problems. My friend runs synthetic oil in his 79 Chevy stepside with a 350 with no leaks. Synthetic oil does not cause leaks or damage seals but it can expose leaks hidden by sludge from conventional oil.

mckey73 06-12-2013 02:18 AM

If you run it hard make sure you change the oil. If you drive it to the grocery store and soccer practice, change the oil. The bigger question is what you drink while changing the oil.

I prefer this.
http://www.santafebrewing.com/media/...IPAwebsite.jpg

Turbostixxx 06-12-2013 02:27 AM

I have this new stuff, called Coca-Cola, works great in the jeep :)

Turbostixxx 06-12-2013 02:29 AM

Someone want to explain something to me?

What is the definition of synthetic? The word in general...

CrazyBull 06-12-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckey73 (Post 3851862)
If you run it hard make sure you change the oil. If you drive it to the grocery store and soccer practice, change the oil. The bigger question is what you drink while changing the oil.

I prefer this.
http://www.santafebrewing.com/media/...IPAwebsite.jpg

I have to agree with you here. As Ted Knight would say as narrator for the Superfriends in regards to Synthetic Oil "Mingwhile Aquaman is back at the Hall Of Justice making a Peanut Butter and Synthetic Jelly Sandwich cause he can't do crap!"

John Madden "What you have here is a clear case of..Oh Ho! Green and Gold.. You know who loves being a green and gold Happy Camper? Brett Farve of the Packers.. You know you've..you've..if you've got green and gold oil in your car you can drive a football just like Brett Farve. Why QuakerState run's in Farve's blood. That's why he can piston those arms so well..."

CrazyBull 06-12-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbostixxx (Post 3851878)
Someone want to explain something to me?

What is the definition of synthetic? The word in general...

It's like Pantyhose. Women have hairy legs..so they shave it. But..now hear me out now. Natural hairy legs don't run and are self replenishing. Personally I'm like Capt. Kirk and I wish chicks had like kitten fur all over but that's just me. So..that's your "Natural". Pantyhose are "Synthetic"...one gnarly toenail and they just go to hell. Then the women gripe a lot and you end up sad.

Now on a purely technical note for boobs that never really bother researching anything this is for you. And please don't get into metric vs SAE or round vs square headlights. Makes you look like baboons comparing bananas.

Fact! And read your bloody labels if you can comprehend the fact that doing so is beneficial.

Early synthetics got a bad reputation for leaking. This was because, despite the claims of the oil manufacturers, the seal-swell characteristics of the new synthetics were different from those of the mineral oils they replaced. If the seal-swell rate was lower, the seals shrank and oil leaked from crankshaft seals and rocker cover seals. If the rate was higher, the seals swelled a little extra and the engine was tight. Then if the owner changed back to mineral oil, or added a quart when no synthetic was to be had, things got really bad. The crank seals had become worn, in their turgid state, and then relaxed. The valve cover seals were compressed when swelled, and when the different oil was added, everything leaked like, well, an old English sports car.

Basically your old synthetic isn't synthetic anymore. It's a mix. Deal with it and get on with a new subject. :bottom:

CrazyBull 06-12-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainynite (Post 3851884)

Now on a purely technical note for boobs that never really bother researching anything this is for you. And please don't get into metric vs SAE or round vs square headlights. Makes you look like baboons comparing bananas.

Fact! And read your bloody labels if you can comprehend the fact that doing so is beneficial.

Early synthetics got a bad reputation for leaking. This was because, despite the claims of the oil manufacturers, the seal-swell characteristics of the new synthetics were different from those of the mineral oils they replaced. If the seal-swell rate was lower, the seals shrank and oil leaked from crankshaft seals and rocker cover seals. If the rate was higher, the seals swelled a little extra and the engine was tight. Then if the owner changed back to mineral oil, or added a quart when no synthetic was to be had, things got really bad. The crank seals had become worn, in their turgid state, and then relaxed. The valve cover seals were compressed when swelled, and when the different oil was added, everything leaked like, well, an old English sports car.

Basically your old synthetic isn't synthetic anymore. It's a mix. Deal with it and get on with a new subject. :bottom:
Forgot to finish...cat distracted me.

Fortunately, the situation has improved; you should have no problem switching back and forth. Adding a quart of mineral oil to a crankcase full of synthetic will be fine. Read the fine print -- a lot of the "synthetics" on the market are blends containing a substantial proportion of mineral oil.

BurlySoldier 06-12-2013 05:22 AM

this thread delivers.

birdy35 06-12-2013 09:22 AM

Thanks to all of you for you input. I will tryout the synthetic and report back if I have any problems. It sounds to me that thee should not be any problems

Jerry Bransford 06-12-2013 10:09 AM

I run nothing but a conventional Valvoline 10W-30 in my TJ and have run nothing but a conventional motor oil in nearly 50 years of driving. Never an engine failure even though I tend to drive my vehicles until they have close to or over 200k miles. If Valvoline were to disappear from the face of the earth, I'd just as happily run Castrol, Havoline, Shell, Pennzoil, Walmart, etc. Today's engine oils are superb so the secret to good engine life isn't which brand or type of suitable oil you run, it's simply that you only have to regularly change it and the filter at the right intervals.

To read what some of the synthetic proponents constantly screech, those of us who run conventional motor oils should be experiencing engine failures right & left. Heck some of them brag how they are at some mileage like, say, 150k miles without a problem and attribute that to the use of synthetic oils. Well heck, I should HOPE they'd get at least that far by using a synthetic because engines easily last well beyond that will any good quality oil... synthetic or conventional.

00silverTJ 06-12-2013 11:47 AM

Synthetic is better for your engine. Saying regular is " good enough" is acknowledging that synthetic is better and you are using regular oil because you are a cheapskate. Recommending regular is making a poor recommendation based on financial considerations and not on performance concerns and it is therefore bad advice when people are asking about performance.

Some people act like they have some vested interest in this argument or they cannot bear to change there story after being so adamant for so long.

DBoat 06-12-2013 12:16 PM

its kind of like, Coke or Pepsi? I run synthetic and have for over 35 years. Mostly Mobil 1,due to its overall availability. The real difference is at startup and at the very extreme of engine operations.
Regarding startup, there have been some studies that show drain back and leaving no oil film in the engine is greater with dyno oil, meaning little or no oil on the surfaces and having metal to metal friction until the oil is circulated. While synth oil does leave an oil film.
In regard to extreme conditions, suffice it to say, that it would be highly unlikely that your engine would ever be operated at that level.
I do it because of the first factor and it gives me better piece of mind. However, if you run dyno oil and change it and the filter at appropiate intervals, you are likely to be fine.
Dana

Rolf 06-12-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00silverTJ
Synthetic is better for your engine. Saying regular is " good enough" is acknowledging that synthetic is better and you are using regular oil because you are a cheapskate. Recommending regular is making a poor recommendation based on financial considerations and not on performance concerns and it is therefore bad advice when people are asking about performance.

Some people act like they have some vested interest in this argument or they cannot bear to change there story after being so adamant for so long.

Oh well arn't we just a ray of sunshine.
I run semi-synthetic, which is actually conventional, in my engine as I struggle to find good old mineral oil in the correct grade. My diffs get only conventional/mineral.

Jerry Bransford 06-12-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00silverTJ (Post 3853032)

Oh please, spare us such tired old claims that only show an unthinking naive personal opinion on lubricants. :facepalm:

lindel 06-12-2013 02:03 PM

It's a matter of choice, nothing else. Both provide lubrication and with the correct choice of viscosity, you're in good shape. The one caveat (and it applies to both) is to pick a quality brand.

MFsoftball22 06-12-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindel (Post 3853453)
It's a matter of choice, nothing else. Both provide lubrication and with the correct choice of viscosity, you're in good shape. The one caveat (and it applies to both) is to pick a quality brand.

X2 I run Full Synthetic Mobil 1 and change my oil frequently but doesnt mean that conventional oil wouldnt do just as good. frequency of oil changes is way more important than whether it is conventional or synthetic.

Verf 06-12-2013 04:35 PM

New to Jeeps, but not to performance sports cars. I won't run anything but synthetic in my twin turbo. But I buy a premium synthetic like Royal Purple, Amsoil (which I currently use in the TT), etc. Synthetic molecules are exactly alike, same size, etc. Which allows them to do their job better in the temp ranges. Also, you can change the oil and filter now, next oil change, change the filter, top off oil, next change both, etc.
Also, if you use synthetic USE A QUALITY OIL FILTER. I suggest Wix or Napa Gold (made by Wix) Fram, Puralator, STP are all crap. Even tho ours are side mounted filters, the anti-drain back valve is important.

That said, my '71 Corvette gets Valvoline conventional (dinosaur) oil. However, its premium racing oil, with extra phosphate and zinc to protect the cylinder and piston. Again, she gets a Wix filter too.

Good luck!

Lando25 06-12-2013 06:28 PM

We have vehicles with over 230K miles on them that have had conventional oil their whole life, to say that conventional oil will neglect your motor is not true. Its all a matter of opinion, and like Jerry said, its not about conventional or synthetic. Its about the interval and regularity of the oil change.

00silverTJ 06-12-2013 07:13 PM

[QUOTE="Lando25;3854304"]. Its all a matter of opinion, and like Jerry said, its not about conventional or synthetic. /QUOTE]

It's not a matter of opinion, but it is a matter of science and facts. I have no expertise in either. When people talk about economics, regarding a matter of science and facts, IMHO,
it is worthwhile to point out the discrepancy.

Cheers!

00silverTJ 06-12-2013 07:17 PM

I can't figure out why my response merged with his quote.

00silverTJ 06-12-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00silverTJ (Post 3854466)

It's not a matter of opinion, but it is a matter of science and facts. I have no expertise in either. When people talk about economics, regarding a matter of science and facts, IMHO, it is worthwhile to point out the discrepancy.

00silverTJ 06-12-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00silverTJ (Post 3854466)

I guess I, sort of, figured it out.

Cheers, mike

IcarusLSC 06-12-2013 07:49 PM

I like synthetics in the real cold weather as it definitely makes cold starts easier. If you don't have these kind of differences in temps or real cold stuff, I'd stick with conventional oil and change it regularly like everyone mentions.

00silverTJ 06-12-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcarusLSC (Post 3854641)
I like synthetics in the real cold weather as it definitely makes cold starts easier. If you don't have these kind of differences in temps or real cold stuff, I'd stick with conventional oil .

Economic decision.

kawzak 06-28-2013 05:40 PM

I love oil threads. Great opinions.. ah I mean conversation. I have seen way too many engines die for lots of reasons. some oil related-usually not changed soon enough/often enough(cooked sludge). My own observations being the synthetics handle heat better (thermal breakdown), but this cost/benefits higher RPM, HP or harder working engines (racing-usually). That being said I don't feel that these OEM jeep motors are very over stressed. I believe they are built with reliability in mind,less RPM,less HP=less stress= longer life .Use what ever you want, just change it. Now Motorcycle engines (especially air cooled) I think synthetics have a definate advantage.IMO.....OK, I'm ready ....fire away!