Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What Lift Kit!?! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-lift-kit-248809.html)

Tj 98 sport 06-11-2013 10:20 PM

What Lift Kit!?!
 
I have a 1998 Wrangler Sport and want to get about a 3inch lift. I'm in highschool so I was hoping to keep it around 400-500 dollars. I was looking at the RC 3.25 lift. I don't off road that often so it's mostly just for looks! Any suggestions?

Skurvydog22 06-11-2013 10:42 PM

Do you plan on installing yourself or having a professional do it?

Skurvydog22 06-11-2013 10:44 PM

Either way id take a look at the Zone Combo Kit

thgr8alex 06-12-2013 12:21 AM

Some people love rc.. Majority dont though. But zone lifts get a much better wrap and are a bit better quality for around same price. Have one on my jeep. Zone 3inch and i love it. Definately agree to take a look at zone offroad lift kits

Tj 98 sport 06-12-2013 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. I'll plan for my dad and I to install it. I'll definitely check out zone

Tj 98 sport 06-12-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3851687)
Some people love rc.. Majority dont though. But zone lifts get a much better wrap and are a bit better quality for around same price. Have one on my jeep. Zone 3inch and i love it. Definately agree to take a look at zone offroad lift kits

I have a big store credit to Morris 4x4 so is there anything on there that is as good? I did like the zone products though.

thgr8alex 06-12-2013 11:51 AM

Rubicon express lift kit is a good one. Little more money but if youve got store credit it may balance it out

Dextreme 06-12-2013 12:00 PM

In the $500ish budget range, stick with ZONE 3" or 4.25" Combo.

wranglerbob1 06-12-2013 12:28 PM

Z O N E Nuff said.

thgr8alex 06-12-2013 12:43 PM

Ya id stick with zone and get it from a vendor on here to save you money and use your morris 4x4 for extras like quick discos or control arms or stuff. Or you could just send it my way, i sure could use it ;)

rdock31 06-12-2013 12:46 PM

AOR (Allen) vendor gets pretty good deals on Zone products. Check him out

thgr8alex 06-12-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdock31 (Post 3853210)
AOR (Allen) vendor gets pretty good deals on Zone products. Check him out

Yep. Hes where i got mine from. Great price

Tj 98 sport 06-12-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wranglerbob1 (Post 3853163)
Z O N E Nuff said.

Ill probably go with zone. But what's wrong with RC??

sandfox4 06-12-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tj 98 sport (Post 3853637)
Ill probably go with zone. But what's wrong with RC??

nothing! i am running rc 2.5 spring lifts and 1.25 body lifts, w/ mml on 2 of my wranglers, they look great and i think they ride pretty good too

Rubicondon53 06-12-2013 04:03 PM

No one had mentioned it , but if you go that high you will undoubtedly have to install a slip yoke eliminator kit.. Another 2 to 3 hundred dollars.

thgr8alex 06-12-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 3853847)
No one had mentioned it , but if you go that high you will undoubtedly have to install a slip yoke eliminator kit.. Another 2 to 3 hundred dollars.

For 2.5 and 3 inch lifts? Sure its the better way to go but a tcase drop or mml with one if the combos will handle vibes just as easily and much cheaper because its included in most kits. Especially for someone on a budget like myself it works just fine although id love to get an SYE, ive got other things to buy since its not a necessity

Tj 98 sport 06-12-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 3853847)
No one had mentioned it , but if you go that high you will undoubtedly have to install a slip yoke eliminator kit.. Another 2 to 3 hundred dollars.

So for the Zone 3 in. Or the RC 3.25 in. Would I be fine just installing the pieces it came with in the kit?

rdock31 06-12-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tj 98 sport (Post 3853902)

So for the Zone 3 in. Or the RC 3.25 in. Would I be fine just installing the pieces it came with in the kit?

With the zone kit the instructions say to drill a new hole in the stock track bar mount.. If the bar becomes loose it can wallow out the hole, but for some it works fine. I wouldn't do it. For another ~175 you can get an adj trac bar from a company like RE or MC. Extended Bumpstops are not included in the RC kit which are suggested, although some say you don't need them.

vertical horizons 06-12-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandfox4 (Post 3853651)
nothing! i am running rc 2.5 spring lifts and 1.25 body lifts, w/ mml on 2 of my wranglers, they look great and i think they ride pretty good too

What does MML stand for?

rdock31 06-12-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 3854046)

What does MML stand for?

motor mount lift

mdavidc 06-12-2013 05:49 PM

Moter mount lift

Tj 98 sport 06-12-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandfox4 (Post 3853651)
nothing! i am running rc 2.5 spring lifts and 1.25 body lifts, w/ mml on 2 of my wranglers, they look great and i think they ride pretty good too

Do you think I would have any problems with the RC 3.25? I don't want to deal with vibes if I don't have to...

5spdftw 06-12-2013 07:19 PM

I swear, how do guys get wrapped up in this RC crap? Is it the first Google search result for "Cheapest, roughest riding, least durable lift for my TJ Wrangler"? Please don't get RC dude. Trust me, it's worth it to save a bit more and not hate your Jeep after. I'm not saying you have to spend $$$$ on a kit like a Currie, RE, Savvy, or Clayton but at least pay attention to customer reviews before jumping on the cheapest lift you can find. There's a reason it's the cheapest.

04Xtj 06-12-2013 07:47 PM

i was wondering same thing..what is a good one..i was want to go 4"..but i got a question..i wonder if you could do a 6 inch long arm..and get a spring that was a bit softer..(spring rate)..so you get a 4 inch lift..(im looking for the advantage of the 6 inch lift wheel travel)or am i going the wrong way..i only want to go to 33 in tires..may do 35's but i got hieght going into garage isues..lol..hope i got the rite thread..or should i get the arm kit and go to local spring shop to build springs..first coil jeep so im in the dark..you can pm me if i am confuzing or just confuzed..lol..
oh..mine is an 04..30 and 35 punkins..was wanting dana 60's but for the price mite find some 44's..i got questions there to..haha..

may be a better question would be,..what kits do you run from..

5spdftw 06-12-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04Xtj (Post 3854626)
i was wondering same thing..what is a good one..i was want to go 4"..but i got a question..i wonder if you could do a 6 inch long arm..and get a spring that was a bit softer..(spring rate)..so you get a 4 inch lift..(im looking for the advantage of the 6 inch lift wheel travel)or am i going the wrong way..i only want to go to 33 in tires..may do 35's but i got hieght going into garage isues..lol..hope i got the rite thread..or should i get the arm kit and go to local spring shop to build springs..first coil jeep so im in the dark..you can pm me if i am confuzing or just confuzed..lol..
oh..mine is an 04..30 and 35 punkins..was wanting dana 60's but for the price mite find some 44's..i got questions there to..haha..

Trust me, a long arm 4 or 5" will have PLENTY of flex. Also, please do enough research so that you could educate someone completely illiterate to the workings of Jeeps before you buy. An example: If you can understand the geometry of the suspension enough to explain its inner workings to a 15 year old girl you are doing well. However, don't get suckered into a big $$$ long arm kit right off the bat. Just because it costs more doesn't mean it's better for you. Research bro, research. There's a million threads on here, Jeepforum.com, and Pirate4x4.com with more info in them than I could ever type. (Pirate is not for the faint of heart though.)

04Xtj 06-12-2013 07:59 PM

...ooops..

04Xtj 06-12-2013 08:04 PM

i tend to over think stuff..thats why i ask here..get a guys advice who has already seen the mistakes..haha..i listen well..i have read so much they all say they got the answers..(kit seller)
but a man who has been there is the one i want to talk to..thank you..ill focus more in the long arms..R.E. build a good one?..i hear alot of good about them
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-K...n=R%2fERE7214M
i only want to buy one kit..so trying to find the one..

NJO 06-12-2013 08:13 PM

For the $500 range I'd say save your money..........do some research.........save up a bit more and look into getting something better. Zone/RE/RC.............entry level stuff that leaves alot to be desired. Id actually take the $500, get a quality BL, raised steering riser, and MML and do the prep work to get your vehicle READY to be lifted properly.

Rubicondon53 06-12-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3854799)
For the $500 range I'd say save your money..........do some research.........save up a bit more and look into getting something better. Zone/RE/RC.............entry level stuff that leaves alot to be desired. Id actually take the $500, get a quality BL, raised steering riser, and MML and do the prep work to get your vehicle READY to be lifted properly.

X2 .... Cheap lifts also equal cheap resale value... If I were in the market for a used TJ and a cheap lift was under it, I'd either walk away, or subtract from the price what a good suspension would cost...RC garnished a wonderful reputation building lift kits for rusted out Chevy pickups parked on mud lawns in front of doublewides..

5spdftw 06-12-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04Xtj (Post 3854751)
i tend to over think stuff..thats why i ask here..get a guys advice who has already seen the mistakes..haha..i listen well..i have read so much they all say they got the answers..(kit seller)
but a man who has been there is the one i want to talk to..thank you..ill focus more in the long arms..R.E. build a good one?..i hear alot of good about them
Rubicon Express Part RE7214M - 4.5 Inch Extreme-Duty Long Arm Lift Kit with Rear Track Bar with Mono Tube Shocks-RH1
i only want to buy one kit..so trying to find the one..

What is the Jeep going to be used for?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.