Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Ugh, so the 2014s have "enhanced" EVIC w/ Trans temp (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ugh-so-the-2014s-have-enhanced-evic-w-trans-temp-248879.html)

Barnburner 06-12-2013 09:08 AM

Ugh, so the 2014s have "enhanced" EVIC w/ Trans temp

I am patiently waiting for my order to come in hopefully this week. I tried to get it in before the cutoff so that I'd have it for summer and save a few bucks thinking there weren't going to be any big changes...
I was on the fence with EVIC due to price and not really wanting extra gadgets to go bad later, now I see they added Transmission temp monitor on it. I will be pulling my boat long distances and I've always had a Trans temperature gauge so would probrably add one, now I find out I could have had it integrated...
:facepalm: I bet the cost increase would be wiped out by cost of adding one after the fact...
So, while I'm on the subject, what are the best options for adding one after the fact?

chris4x4 06-12-2013 09:21 AM

Ultra gauge. 70 bucks and it monitors all functions, reads codes, and more.

Barnburner 06-12-2013 09:31 AM

And it does Trans temp? It doesn't list teans temp on their website (which is pretty cheesy). I thought only the scan gauge did...

Rmcroslin 06-12-2013 09:39 AM

I was guessing the premium evic would appear on the 14's. most likely just a programming change in the computer code anyway. I think for pulling, I would rather have a dedicated temp gauge always visible, along with a few other gauges.

Some high $ tuners have that, but I say a gauge pod of some sort with the info YOU want to be able to see at a glance. My new 10A will have the premium evic and I am still considering a gauge pod setup down the road.

chris4x4 06-12-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnburner (Post 3852550)
And it does Trans temp? It doesn't list teans temp on their website (which is pretty cheesy). I thought only the scan gauge did...

IARC, it monitors trans temps if the ecu has the data. I have one, so I'll hook it up and verify.

Barnburner 06-12-2013 10:50 AM

Ok thanks that would be great

2footin 06-12-2013 11:16 AM

if you have an android device you can get a wireless obd2 Bluetooth adapter (ebay or amazon) and pair it with https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
this will give you trans temp as well as a host of other features

Barnburner 06-12-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2footin (Post 3852921)
if you have an android device you can get a wireless Bluetooth adapter (ebay or amazon) and pair it with https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
this will give you trans temp as well as a host of other features

Thanks but I have an iPhone...

2footin 06-12-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnburner (Post 3852931)
Thanks but I have an iPhone...

there is a torque app for iPhone but i hear that the android version is better

Barnburner 06-12-2013 12:56 PM

There is a thread going on about these two apps and it doesn't appear to work on the new transmission only the pre '12 from what I was reading.

They seem pretty cool and def worth the cheap price, but I really want a decent trans temp monitor.

legitposter 06-12-2013 01:23 PM

+1 if anyone has a trans temp monitor for the 12's and 13's then please post here. It is a make it-or-break it component of correctly doing a fluid change on the automatic transmission.

bflank 06-12-2013 01:23 PM

ScanGuageII will give you transmission temp if the vehicle is providing it on the OBD, although it is a bit of a pain to set it up initially. Once it's been set up it works smoothly with no more effort.

jeffbab 06-12-2013 01:30 PM

FYI, I have torque paid version and it won't show trans temp on my android tablet. Ticks me off as that is kinda what I wanted it for.

positrak 06-12-2013 01:34 PM

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor

Aeroforce Interceptor gauge Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Barnburner 06-12-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bflank (Post 3853323)
ScanGuageII will give you transmission temp if the vehicle is providing it on the OBD, although it is a bit of a pain to set it up initially. Once it's been set up it works smoothly with no more effort.

Are you saying that from experience on your '09? I can't seem to find where it will for '12 and up...

Barnburner 06-12-2013 03:51 PM

I called Scangauge and they said they thought they had the correct codes for the '13 Wrangler transmission temp readings, but haven't recieved any feedback as to whether they work or not.
She said if they didn't there were a couple more you could email for. Sounds like its worth a shot...

Rmcroslin 06-12-2013 04:44 PM

As of this afternoon - I am even more interested in a gauge pod. Dealer called and said I am NOT getting a 10A with the new display. Would have been delivered in three days. Yes, had a signed contract. IAMJEEP shows in our name and delivered already.

SilverSport 06-12-2013 04:46 PM

How did we ever get along without gadgets like the EVIC and all we had were gauges on the instrument panel. LOL

Knuckles65 06-12-2013 05:08 PM

This - mounted in the sPod bezel - works great!

Barnburner 06-12-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3853968)
How did we ever get along without gadgets like the EVIC and all we had were gauges on the instrument panel. LOL

Last I saw, there was no Trans temp gauge (or oil pressure, or much of anything really) on the dash, hence why I am looking for one. :nonono:

mi1knc0okies 06-12-2013 05:52 PM

This maybe a silly question but is a tranny temp gauge necessary on a manual transmission?

chris4x4 06-12-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi1knc0okies (Post 3854196)
This maybe a silly question but is a tranny temp gauge necessary on a manual transmission?

No, but Ive seen manual trannys that have them. Its hard to over heat a manual tranny on a small vehicle.

Old Dogger 06-12-2013 06:34 PM

I had a set of Stewart warner gauge installed on my 1954 Oldsmobile, because all it had from the factory was Idiot Lights. Here we are in 2013, and what we get from the factory today isn't much better.
I guess, that it was just way to much needed effort, for Chrysler/Jeep to install a oil pressure gauge in our Wranglers, HELLO CHRYSLER, WAKE UP............................

Miser 06-12-2013 06:48 PM

In a hot climates like Arizona, gauges, providing that they are accurate, are a real plus!

Trek7.2FX 06-12-2013 10:35 PM

An oil pressure gauge would be nice. Even my old YJ had that.

Barnburner 06-13-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckles65 (Post 3854044)
This - mounted in the sPod bezel - works great!

Thanks, but that with the gauges is going to run $500+. :eek:

SilverSport 06-13-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trek7.2FX (Post 3855469)
An oil pressure gauge would be nice. Even my old YJ had that.

Many newer model vehicles are set up so if the engine loses oil pressure it will go into limp mode or shutoff all together. Not sure if the 3.6 is like this but it would explain the reason for not having a factory oil pressure gauge.

Trek7.2FX 06-13-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3856484)

Many newer model vehicles are set up so if the engine loses oil pressure it will go into limp mode or shutoff all together. Not sure if the 3.6 is like this but it would explain the reason for not having a factory oil pressure gauge.

If that is the case, then I guess there are actually some benefits from having a somewhat advanced computer controlling almost everything.

Old Dogger 06-13-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3856484)
Many newer model vehicles are set up so if the engine loses oil pressure it will go into limp mode or shutoff all together. .

Before any engine damage takes place?

Barnburner 06-13-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trek7.2FX (Post 3857084)
If that is the case, then I guess there are actually some benefits from having a somewhat advanced computer controlling almost everything.

Does it do the same if the Trans overheats? Doubt it, and I probrably wouldn't trust the engine shutting down either.

I am going to be pulling in the upper end of the tow limits for long distances in the Florida heat. I have always had a Trans temp gauge on my automatics since I started this. If its a multi gauge that monitors other stuff, that's cool, but not my main priority. I really would like a small discrete gauge (or digital monitor) that doesn't look out of place. I hate to put something that looks like an after thought in a brand new Jeep...