Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Oregon Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f62/)
-   -   TSF Run and Fun SUNDAY 6-23-13 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f62/tsf-run-and-fun-sunday-6-23-13-a-248928.html)

skjeeper 06-12-2013 01:09 PM

TSF Run and Fun SUNDAY 6-23-13
 
TSF Run on SUNDAY 6-23-13

Allrighty, so I know I have a weekday run on Wednesday June 26, but I also found out I have an open weekend June 26th. So, I am going to head out to TSF that Sunday as well just to get a little time out of the office and town on roads less traveled. Preferably driving out of town with top down and doors off.:) Also, we are nearing "fire season" so I would like to itch that wheeling fix before the park access becomes limited.
So, here's the invite, as a hospitality run, newbies and intermediates are welcome. If we happen to get more advanced people, we can break up into groups too.


Date: Sunday June 23, 2013
Time: Gather and leave the North Plains Chevron around 8-830. Plan on leaving the lot by 0830
Take US 26 West to Exit 57 and turn right to the Chevron on the left and meet in the lot in back.
Level: All levels are welcome, we will start with newbies and intermediates. If more people show up, we can split up into a newbie-intermediate group, and an intermediate-advanced group.
Trails: I'd like to come in from the west, so we can whiz by the following trails-
Archers
Archers Hill Climb
Rock Garden
Rocky Uphill (depending on group)
Hogs Back
Firebreak 5 (depending on group)
Cedar Tree
University Firepower or Powerline
Bates Road
(The last three based on time allowing)

Who can come: This will be an open hospitality run, so Wranglers of course, other Jeeps such as Cherokees, and Grand Cherokees are welcome. Other peeps' with 'Yotas or 'Sammies or other similar sized Jeep vehicles are welcome. I would prefer against larger vehicles like no Blazers, Humvees, Full size Broncos, full size Pick-ups, M1Abrams tank, etc.
Gear: Water- to drink and to clean up and in case of fire, mechanically sound rig, positive attitude and excitement, shovel, food/lunch/snacks, full tank of gas, fire extinguisher, CB or FRS radio, sun tan lotion, flip flops, etc.

I plan on being there most of the day. Should be fun fun fun. I will plan on driving top down and doors off only to pick the dust out from my teeth with rocks from the trail.:) Those of you in JKU's can just drive with the windows up and air conditioning on. LOL, just kidding fellas, you know I jest like the best of em':thumb:
Either way, I think it will be awesome, who want's to go?

BTW- there are several runs going on this time of the year, so I am not trying to chime in but rather offering time to go with those who are interested in going too. If I could, I would probably consider going every weekend...well maybe not that much...:) See ya fellas':)

-skjeeper

IslandTJ 06-12-2013 03:11 PM

:punk:

IslandTJ 06-13-2013 12:18 PM

I meant - I'm in.

MoonyJohn 06-13-2013 09:23 PM

You can count me in! Loved running with you all last time. Hope we can get another big turnout

rusty1 06-13-2013 09:42 PM

skjeeper, you can count me in, but I'm not gonna whiz by any of the trails unless no ones looking!!!

skjeeper 06-16-2013 11:57 AM

Just a point of clarification
 
Hey fellas, it looks like the Wrangler Forum is also hosting a newbie run that same day, Sunday the 23rd, and we are meeting at the same place and time as they are. This is sure to gather a few rigs to head out and have a great time. This should also allow us to break up into groups based on skill level so everyone has fun in their "comfort zone". The only issue is people planning on joining who have a friend bringing a non-Wrangler vehicle. Those vehicles will be in my group since my run is open and the NW Wrangler Forum event is not open. No big deal, I just want to make sure people join the right groups when we meet and then split up that morning. We can also plan on making fun of your friends for not driving a Wrangler in the first place.:) Just kidding fellas, see you all that morning!

Take care all-
skjeeper:)

MoonyJohn 06-18-2013 06:05 PM

Do you have a link for this meet?

City 06-18-2013 10:28 PM

I'm going to try to make this one. Been a while since I've wheel'd with Ken!!!

IslandTJ 06-18-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City (Post 3875649)
I'm going to try to make this one. Been a while since I've wheel'd with Ken!!!

Hope you can make it :).

skjeeper 06-19-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonyJohn (Post 3874489)
Do you have a link for this meet?


You mean for this run? Try this-



Looks like it will be a smaller group this time, but I think we will probably be a more seasoned group too. So far, I have:

skjeeper
IslandTJ
MoonyJohn
Rusty 1
City

See you fellas this Sunday!
-skjeeper:thumb:

chevymad 06-19-2013 08:19 PM

I'm most likely in. Think I have the wife talked into riding along even.

skjeeper 06-20-2013 01:45 AM

Sunday is on its way....
 
Hey fellas, looks like we are still on for Sunday, the 23rd. While the weather forecast can be a little bit volatile, the current forecast for Sunday holds a high of 66 degrees, but also a 70% chance for rain. Should be nice to have no dust blowing in our faces, and some mud to play in.:) As the day gets closer, I am sure the forecast will be more accurate, but for now this is the current prediction.

Figures....I took off the tops and doors..looks like I will have to put them back on again, and maybe pick up some replacement wipers...:)

See ya fellas-
skjeeper:)

IslandTJ 06-20-2013 11:14 AM

Yeah, the dust can get weary, especially of you're the tail gunner or group anchor.

dwilly 06-20-2013 11:28 AM

I am still looking at what my weekend and money situation looks like, I move next week. For now count me in.
Dave

rvkillian 06-20-2013 01:39 PM

Can't make it this time. Leaving on a trip Wednesday and can't risk breaking anything :nonono:

dwilly 06-21-2013 09:43 AM

I somehow have been recruited to take my nieces camping on Saturday night. I'm still trying to figure out how this happened. They are too excited for me to say no now. I'm out.
~Dave

banks316 06-21-2013 10:33 AM

WHAT!!!!!! I cant bring my M1Abram thats bull

IslandTJ 06-21-2013 11:46 AM

Open run :dance:

MoonyJohn 06-21-2013 06:32 PM

I might be camping up there Saturday so don't wait up for me at the gas station. I'll be down at the meeting point when you all show up. Would we meet at rogers camp? Seems like the easiest place to prepare?

Open run as in non wranglers allowed? I might get my brother to bring his wj, or what was my wj

IslandTJ 06-21-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonyJohn (Post 3886791)
Open run as in non wranglers allowed?

Correct :)

skjeeper 06-21-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonyJohn (Post 3886791)
I might be camping up there Saturday so don't wait up for me at the gas station. I'll be down at the meeting point when you all show up. Would we meet at rogers camp? Seems like the easiest place to prepare?

Open run as in non wranglers allowed? I might get my brother to bring his wj, or what was my wj

I'm planning on coming in from the west and starting with archers.

skjeeper 06-21-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonyJohn (Post 3886791)
I might be camping up there Saturday so don't wait up for me at the gas station. I'll be down at the meeting point when you all show up. Would we meet at rogers camp? Seems like the easiest place to prepare?

Open run as in non wranglers allowed? I might get my brother to bring his wj, or what was my wj


Hey, yeah, this is an open hospitality run, ergo, Wrangler owners with friends who wanna go but don't drive a wrangler are welcome, as long as it's about the same size as a Wrangler. Anyhow, I plan on coming in from the west, when we whiz by Rogers, we can radio ahead. I plan on using CB channel 23, (the date). See you all Sunday!

-skjeeper

MoonyJohn 06-21-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjeeper (Post 3887109)
Hey, yeah, this is an open hospitality run, ergo, Wrangler owners with friends who wanna go but don't drive a wrangler are welcome, as long as it's about the same size as a Wrangler. Anyhow, I plan on coming in from the west, when we whiz by Rogers, we can radio ahead. I plan on using CB channel 23, (the date). See you all Sunday!

-skjeeper

Sweet deal! Is everyone going to start west then and carpool from chevron? I might just not camp then, thats alot of driving with the mini trailer and don't want to be too far from it.

Outdoors 06-22-2013 09:38 AM

["I would prefer against larger vehicles like Full size Broncos, full size Pick-ups, M1Abrams tank, etc."]
Here's some interesting specs for off roading, that us Jeepers understand.

Full size Bronco specs: Turning radius 34ft.
Wheelbase104.7 in (2,660 mm)Length180.5 in (4,580 mm)Width79.1 in (2,010 mm)


JK Unlimited specs: Turning Radius 41ft
Wheelbase116 in (2,950 mm)Length173.4 in (4,400 mm)Width73.9 in (1,880 mm)

I had a JKU Rubi in my past a fine rig no doubt,
If I "only" owned one rig? It would be a JKU, but a pentastar no doubt.

skjeeper 06-22-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonyJohn (Post 3887478)
Sweet deal! Is everyone going to start west then and carpool from chevron? I might just not camp then, thats alot of driving with the mini trailer and don't want to be too far from it.


Yeah, we were planning on meeting at the North Plains Chevron, then seeing who shows up and finally deciding on trails, groups, etc. When the time comes, I plan on driving to the west end of TSF and heading in to Archers and going basically West to East. If you are going to be camping there, just let me know and tune your CB to Channel 23 that AM about 9ish and listen for us to hail you on the way over. Or, just meet us at the Chevron.:)

As far as weather- latest reports now say a 100% chance for rain with a prediction of 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, that's just at Browns Camp, could be more at higher altitudes. Please plan accordingly fellas, like make sure your winch works just in case.:) I also have plenty of recovery gear just to be safe.

Now Outdoors, I am not trying to discriminate with vehicles, the main issue is the width, if we have full size width rigs, there's a chance they won't fit through the filters at Rocky Uphill and Hogs Back. If this happens, we end up breaking up the group and people getting lost, and all other kinds of mayhem. So, if we keep in simple, it should all work out. Besides, there are mainly Wranglers anyways since this is the forum. Hope to see you out soon!

See ya Sunday AM fellas!
-skjeeper

MoonyJohn 06-22-2013 04:57 PM

I'll just plan on meeting you all out at chevron then! I have a cb tuner if anyone knows how to tune one.

FireMike 06-24-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoors (Post 3888206)
["I would prefer against larger vehicles like Full size Broncos, full size Pick-ups, M1Abrams tank, etc."]
Here's some interesting specs for off roading, that us Jeepers understand.

Full size Bronco specs: Turning radius 34ft.
Wheelbase104.7 in (2,660 mm)Length180.5 in (4,580 mm)Width79.1 in (2,010 mm)


JK Unlimited specs: Turning Radius 41ft
Wheelbase116 in (2,950 mm)Length173.4 in (4,400 mm)Width73.9 in (1,880 mm)

I had a JKU Rubi in my past a fine rig no doubt,
If I "only" owned one rig? It would be a JKU, but a pentastar no doubt.

And the Jks have trouble at 74 inches wide in spots. 79 inches = impossible on FB5. :)

IslandTJ 06-24-2013 09:14 AM

A total of 6 Jeeps and all made it in and out with minimal damage. Sunday's run was one of the better Jeep outings I've been on this year :). We traversed Archer's Firebreak from west to east, Hogsback from south to north, Firebreak 5 from north to south, Cedar Tree from south to north, University Firepower from south to north and finally, the east moderate section of Powerline.

The most difficult section by far was Archer's Firebreak's Rocky Uphill. Wet weather conditions made the trail, "slick as snot", as winching was the theme of Rocky Uphill. Even a few Toyotas on 35+ tires were struggling.

A nice surprise was University Firepower. OFD in conjunction with the Pistons Wild 4wd group, have opened up a section of University Firepower class I trail (southern portion) to include our class II Jeeps :). The "fun hill" section of University Firepower, normally closed during winter - is now open and it was slick! It was very different challenge compared to Rocky Uphill and FB5. A mixture of clay and mud required wheel speed and momentum to make it up the off camber hill. During wet conditions, this hill has to be one of the most fun I've been on :dance:.

skjeeper 06-24-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandTJ (Post 3893721)
A total of 6 Jeeps and all made it in and out with minimal damage. Sunday's run was one of the better Jeep outings I've been on this year :). We traversed Archer's Firebreak from west to east, Hogsback from south to north, Firebreak 5 from north to south, Cedar Tree from south to north, University Firepower from south to north and finally, the east moderate section of Powerline.

The most difficult section by far was Archer's Firebreak's Rocky Uphill. Wet weather conditions made the trail, "slick as snot", as winching was the theme of Rocky Uphill. Even a few Toyotas on 35+ tires were struggling.

A nice surprise was University Firepower. OFD in conjunction with the Pistons Wild 4wd group, have opened up a section of University Firepower class I trail (southern portion) to include our class II Jeeps :). The "fun hill" section of University Firepower, normally closed during winter - is now open and it was slick! It was very different challenge compared to Rocky Uphill and FB5. A mixture of clay and mud required wheel speed and momentum to make it up the off camber hill. During wet conditions, this hill has to be one of the most fun I've been on :dance:.


Yeah, I had fun too despite having to winch out a couple of spots on Rocky Uphill. I'd rather winch out than break something AND have to winch out AND spend the rest of the day figuring out how to get home. Regardless, I will take a bad day wheeling over a good day at work.:) The University Firepower hill climb was good clean fun...er... how about good "not-so-clean" fun.

See you guys in the future!
-skjeeper

IslandTJ 06-24-2013 11:20 AM

A BIG mahalo to skjeeper for coordinating and leading the run! I believe everyone in the group had a blast!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.