Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Where is the Sirius antenna? Having lots of issues! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/where-is-the-sirius-antenna-having-lots-of-issues-249049.html)

bloodfart 06-12-2013 10:52 PM

Where is the Sirius antenna? Having lots of issues!

Could someone please tell me where the Sirius antenna is? I just got back from a 10 day trip, in which i've had almost NO sirius reception ANYWHERE. It would work for a few seconds then go to acquiring signal, kinda like really bad buffering. Now that i'm back in a major city, it's quite a bit better, but i still get "acquiring signal" every couple minutes. Before 2 weeks ago, it was crystal clear even deep in the mountains, and NEVER had issues on the highway or in any town.

Only two things have changed, and both happened right before my trip, so i'm not sure which one caused the difference in reception:

1) I got an ARB roof top tent, which I have mounted to the MBRP roof rack. I also have the front lightbar if that matters
2) I took the Jeep for service, and told them about the clock losing time. The guy looked through the TSBs for my model year (2012 sahara) and found that there was a radio software update, which they did.

So my thoughts are, either the roof rack or tent are blocking the signal to the antenna, or whatever update they did fubared my radio. We bought the jeep mid july last year, so the free 1st year should not be up for another month and a few days. Any help would be appreciated!!!

panthermark 06-12-2013 11:24 PM

I want to say it is somewhere in the soundbar if it was a factory install.....so the roof rack could be the problem.

D_Vail 06-12-2013 11:30 PM

From what I've heard it is in the passenger side of the sound bar.

sscav 06-13-2013 12:07 AM

It's located on the passenger side of the roll bar, on the triangular attachment plate. If you pull back the roll bar padding, you will see where it mounts.

I've found that with my soft top on, the soft top bar that's right behind the sound bar actually goes directly over the Satellite antenna and and covers the antenna almost entirely. It blocks a lot of signal since it's only about an inch, inch and a half above. Relocating the antenna to the front side of the roll bar helps with reception.

With the hard top on there's no reception problem, as there's nothing covering the antenna in it's original position.

Bayouwolf 06-13-2013 01:01 AM

I've got the 430N with the hard drive and I get intermittent "black outs" all the time with Sirius. 1-2 second pauses but it never looks like its lost signal. I kinda assumed there was a built in buffer since I can rewind the radio to rehear a song but even when rewinding the same "break" exists. I'm not overly bothered by it since I'm not technically paying for the service, but it does get frustrating all the same.

st1264 06-13-2013 01:30 AM

Mine works good, but I won't be renewing my Sirius as I think the content isn't worth a penny to me.

Consensus is that it's on the roll bar, like other posters have said. I'm sure the accessories on the roof are blocking the signal.

Ivoryring 06-13-2013 05:41 AM

When adding my Pioneer system, I added a new SiriusXM antenna - right next to the stock one (yes, under the padding on rollbar/soundbar just above passenger seat). And I hate that location - I have very poor reception (same kind of cutting out as you are experiencing). I'm considering moving it to the hood near the footman's loop - at least that way I know there is nothing on top of it.

And I'll concur with the others - it is almost certainly your rooftop tent.

laollis 06-13-2013 08:38 AM

2013 Sirius antenna is double back taped to the top of the radio.

panthermark 06-13-2013 10:01 AM

Here are the install instructions which shows the location. Passanger side soundbar/roll bar.
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75781.pdf

I want to say the location used to be above the radio, but that changed when Chrysler went from a seperate Sirius/Nav (yellow, white, and blue inputs on th back of the HU) antenna to a combined one (just yellow and white). I think that is what happened.

Ivoryring 06-13-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laollis (Post 3856504)
2013 Sirius antenna is double back taped to the top of the radio.

Absolutely not true on my 2013.

Lbear 06-13-2013 10:38 AM

Cutting out is a fact of life with satellite radio when objects get between the antenna and the satellite- like overpasses and dense tree foliage. The buffer on the Jeep is very limited- the one on my Murano was better even though older and seemed to cut out less. The one advantage is getting radio in places where land stations are sparse and accessing content not otherwise available. Most of the music is repetitive after awhile IMHO.

st1264 06-13-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivoryring (Post 3856792)
Absolutely not true on my 2013.

Maybe there was an error in the factory... it wasn't installed on the roll bar so they taped it on the back of his radio. Or they put the wrong radio in, without Sirius and found the mistake and swapped it. This is my only explanation as this is the only time I've heard of that location.

I've worked on an assembly line before, things like this do happen more than you know.

JeeperJake 06-13-2013 10:53 AM

I had an XM stand alone add-on with an external magnetic antenna that worked 'pretty good' except for the usual hillsides, trees, overpasses, unexplainable glitches, etc.

Could record off computer link & play on mobile set up in the pre-built-in days.

After 5 or 6 years I grew weary of their ongoing technical issues, the abysmal customer service, qualitative program degradation after merging with Sirius, and yes, the repeating eventually boring content.

When they started putting commercials on some XM stations along with doubling the monthly charges, I fired 'em. Took EIGHT MONTHS plus getting nasty AND complaining to my state consumer agency to get rid of the bastiges.

Granted there are some benefits to XM. Ain't worth the effort OR cost AFAIC.

TOK 06-13-2013 11:07 AM

I have an external antenna on my other vehicles (cradle unit I take from work to personal vehicle) and I was amazed when I found out the antenna for the Jeep is inside under the top.

Its rare that I have service interruptions with the external antenna. My unit has about a 3 second buffer I think, so its usually when stopped under a bridge or something that it cuts out. You might have a repeater or something in the city which is why your service is better there. I know there are gripes about the audio quality of Sirius, but I really like a lot of the talk and music channels.

st1264 06-13-2013 11:30 AM

Sirius sounds bad, FM is superior in sound quality. I have a lot of FM stations and I have barely touched that little SAT button. Nothing I really want to listen to. Paying for it after the 1yr subscription... hell no. I plan on yanking that HU out anyway.

panthermark 06-13-2013 11:35 AM

I won't be renewing my Sirius as well. Sound quality is just too poor.

JKPaul 06-13-2013 12:53 PM

Negotiate Sirius Charges

Cost of Sirius per month can be negotiated if you call them directly and ask for your call to be elevated to a higher level. I've had 5 vehicles with Sirius, all worked great. Right now for my JK I am paying just over $4 a month. For my Edge which I re-negotiated after I did my Jeep it is slightly higher but still under $5 a month. No problems with customer service ever, sound is great, and the reception has been excellent. Yes, if you go under a bridge, under-pass, into a garage etc. it will cut out. For the price....I'm happier than the Pillsbury Doughboy on his way to a baking convention!

panthermark 06-13-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKPaul (Post 3857243)
Cost of Sirius per month can be negotiated if you call them directly and ask for your call to be elevated to a higher level. I've had 5 vehicles with Sirius, all worked great. Right now for my JK I am paying just over $4 a month. For my Edge which I re-negotiated after I did my Jeep it is slightly higher but still under $5 a month. No problems with customer service ever, sound is great, and the reception has been excellent. Yes, if you go under a bridge, under-pass, into a garage etc. it will cut out. For the price....I'm happier than the Pillsbury Doughboy on his way to a baking convention!

I can't say it is even worth $5 a month. But, being in the Chicago-land area, there are plenty of FM radio stations, cell towers, and wi-fi hotspots...so half the time I'm streaming music from Pandora or Youtube or something.

terrabit 06-13-2013 01:41 PM

Solar storms can also affect sat reception, profoundly.

Jlho1980 06-13-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3856998)
I won't be renewing my Sirius as well. Sound quality is just too poor.

exactly!

heygenius 06-13-2013 04:13 PM

Sirius Antennae

I have an aftermarket unit and originally the antennae was on top of the radio. It worked okay at best. I moved it to the top of the dash and it works much better than it did, but still not great. I have a 4Runner and my wife has a Lexus and they rarely lose their signal so I'm not sure what the issue is. I have enough slack in the wire to move it around, so I'm thinking of experimenting with it in different locations to see what works best. It rarely goes out in my hometown area, but it seems to hate I-64...and some of the places it loses the signal makes no sense - perfectly clear view of the sky in all directions... go figure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodfart (Post 3855561)
Could someone please tell me where the Sirius antenna is? I just got back from a 10 day trip, in which i've had almost NO sirius reception ANYWHERE. It would work for a few seconds then go to acquiring signal, kinda like really bad buffering. Now that i'm back in a major city, it's quite a bit better, but i still get "acquiring signal" every couple minutes. Before 2 weeks ago, it was crystal clear even deep in the mountains, and NEVER had issues on the highway or in any town.

Only two things have changed, and both happened right before my trip, so i'm not sure which one caused the difference in reception:

1) I got an ARB roof top tent, which I have mounted to the MBRP roof rack. I also have the front lightbar if that matters
2) I took the Jeep for service, and told them about the clock losing time. The guy looked through the TSBs for my model year (2012 sahara) and found that there was a radio software update, which they did.

So my thoughts are, either the roof rack or tent are blocking the signal to the antenna, or whatever update they did fubared my radio. We bought the jeep mid july last year, so the free 1st year should not be up for another month and a few days. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Ivoryring 06-13-2013 04:47 PM

You know, there is nothing wrong with not liking Sirius, either for sound quality or for programming choices or for commercials or for their billing or customer service... but seriously folks, complaining about Sirius on this thread is like seeing a thread that is titled "Doing my own clutch replacement, having a hard time with the new throwout bearing" and complaining about how you hate driving stick and anyone that wants to drive stick is stupid.

:banghead:

Now get off my lawn.

Tweak 06-13-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3856838)
Maybe there was an error in the factory... it wasn't installed on the roll bar so they taped it on the back of his radio. Or they put the wrong radio in, without Sirius and found the mistake and swapped it. This is my only explanation as this is the only time I've heard of that location.

I've worked on an assembly line before, things like this do happen more than you know.

that, or a dealership swapping radios and being lazy.

FXnut 06-13-2013 09:07 PM

I installed my own sirius in my last Rubi and went through the firewall sticking the "dot" magnetic antenna right on the passenger side cowl in front of windshield and never had an issue with bad signal.

I'm not sure if it's interchangeable with the factory deck, but maybe try picking up one of these and experimenting..

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/0/53/53674.jpg

JKPaul 06-13-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivoryring (Post 3857887)
You know, there is nothing wrong with not liking Sirius, either for sound quality or for programming choices or for commercials or for their billing or customer service... but seriously folks, complaining about Sirius on this thread is like seeing a thread that is titled "Doing my own clutch replacement, having a hard time with the new throwout bearing" and complaining about how you hate driving stick and anyone that wants to drive stick is stupid.

:banghead:

Now get off my lawn.

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that, the S-Factor! Thank you sir, you have restored my faith in Jeep owners, most of them anyway.
:appl::appl::appl:

Morgan 06-13-2013 10:12 PM

I have a pioneer head unit with pioneer 920 xm receiver that I've had in two other vehicles. If I'm on a road with tall trees on both sides I get bad reception. Put the antenna on the center of soundbar and on drivers side today. Guess the jeeps just get bad reception.

st1264 06-13-2013 10:46 PM

Antennas aren't miracle workers... there needs to be a clear path for the signal. An unobstructed antenna and a clear line of sight. Otherwise you'll have problems. Yes, tall trees on both sides of you may knock out your signal. If you have a Directv dish pointed into tall trees, would you get a signal? Nope.

I live in a mostly flat area, get pretty good Sat reception. I just hate the sound quality and the content doesn't interest me, so I don't listen to it. Won't renew it. Will laugh at them if they call me and ask if I want to...

Twiztidmn 06-14-2013 12:19 AM

I have one unit that i take between my work van and my Jeep. i mounted my antenna on the top of the soundbar, right by where the dome light is. Its small enough to fit under the hardtop when it is on, and doesnt get very much interference. Ran the cable under the padding along the drivers side roll bar, down the inside of the dash, and under where the driver's feet are. Came out from behind the shifter and mounted my mount there with a little Velcro.

Suebabe 06-14-2013 09:47 AM

I have intermittant cutouts with the hard top on in my 2013 JK also. Do not have this problem and have great sound with XM in my Subaru. But I have found that I prefer streaming Pandora through my phone and definitely will not renew the Sirius next year.

Twiztidmn 06-14-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suebabe (Post 3860163)
I have intermittant cutouts with the hard top on in my 2013 JK also. Do not have this problem and have great sound with XM in my Subaru. But I have found that I prefer streaming Pandora through my phone and definitely will not renew the Sirius next year.

i only have the sirius because the radio in my company issued work van only has an am/fm radio. too many commercials on FM... plus I work Sundays and can log into my Sirius account on the phone app and listen to all the NFL games through my bluetooth headset while working.