Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   TJ Overheated... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/tj-overheated-249080.html)

WingingIt74 06-13-2013 07:33 AM

TJ Overheated...

New Mishimoto aluminum radiator, new thermostat, new hoses....

Worked great this past Saturday on a poker run. However, on my way home from work last night, it got hot enough to pop my Pressure Relief Cap. When that happened my temp would spike. Right before the PRC popped, I noticed my power reduced going up a hill. When it cooled off enough for the pressure relief cap to close, my temp would drop back down to 212F (Which is still a little warm but it was also in the high 90s yesterday). Is my thermostat not opening, odd that it did last weekend...

I'm going to throw another thing out here to see what you think. My TJ seems too quiet, much quieter then I remember when I first got it. If my cat or muffler is clogged, would that cause the engine to possibly overheat?

ChaddG 06-13-2013 07:51 AM

another question from me about this would be, would a plugged cat/muffler cause your jeep to run quieter.

Evpjr 06-13-2013 08:05 AM

It is possible you may have something shoved up your tail pipe, but as for a clogged cat or muffler, I don't think it would even start, let alone run. And as for causing it to overheat, the only way it would do this is if you blew a head gasket. Make sure there is no water in the oil, and you didn't say if the engine was doing anything other than running quieter, is it?

MFsoftball22 06-13-2013 08:16 AM

You made it seem like you were having these problems after replacing these parts, but why did you replace the radiator, thermostat and hoses in the first place? Were you having problems with the vehicle overheating prior to the parts being replaced?

WingingIt74 06-13-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evpjr (Post 3856399)
It is possible you may have something shoved up your tail pipe, but as for a clogged cat or muffler, I don't think it would even start, let alone run. And as for causing it to overheat, the only way it would do this is if you blew a head gasket. Make sure there is no water in the oil, and you didn't say if the engine was doing anything other than running quieter, is it?

It's has not been offroad since I've owned it.... Although... I wouldn't put it past the field mice. I don't think it has as much power as it did at highway speeds, besides being quieter.

WingingIt74 06-13-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFsoftball22 (Post 3856436)
You made it seem like you were having these problems after replacing these parts, but why did you replace the radiator, thermostat and hoses in the first place? Were you having problems with the vehicle overheating prior to the parts being replaced?

The stock radiator's top cap split on me, so I replaced everything, since I have 160K miles on the TJ.

9/8/12: I just got home and was waiting for Suz to move her car and the radiator blew.........
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...98768180_n.jpg

WingingIt74 06-13-2013 08:49 AM

More on my TJ build, not sure if you find anything directly related though...
SIJA • View topic - Bought a Jeep TJ :)

pi55edoff 06-13-2013 01:58 PM

When my radiator blew it was due to a bad water pump. Mine ran great and out of no where it just went. As far as plugged exhaust have you ran it and put your hand over the exhaust tip to see what kind of pressure is coming out?

MFsoftball22 06-13-2013 02:33 PM

Is you CEL coming on? If the exhaust was clogged up your CEL should be coming on as it would mess up the emissions system components. I would say that it is a problem with the engine cooling system. Did you flush the system to make sure that there isnt any debris in it? Also I would check to see if there is coolant intermix. What kind of coolant did you put in the vehicle? Some coolants are known to eat away at the gaskets and could have cause you to blow a head gasket.

WingingIt74 06-13-2013 02:38 PM

My CEL has been on for a long time. Not sure what is causing it... I had pulled the code before, but I don't remember what it was.

The coolant, I used the Prestone one that's safe for everything.

WingingIt74 06-13-2013 06:40 PM

My 2 codes are P051 and P0151. When I bought the jeep, less then 3000 miles ago, I replaced all the O2 sensors. Any thoughts...?

InvertChaos 06-13-2013 09:50 PM

Your fan is spinning right?

MFsoftball22 06-14-2013 02:20 PM

Have you ran the Jeep since the overheat?
Did the Jeep only start to overheat when idling or was it when you were driving?
You made it seem like it didnt start to overheat until it was idling while waiting for someone to move another vehicle. If the Jeep only started to overheat when it was idling, I would take a look at the cooling fan. Assuming that you have a stock cooling fan set up, start the vehicle and let it get to normal opperating temp. Your fan should constantly be spinning in the reverse direction "sucking air away from the radiator". Your jeep should be equipped with a viscous fan drive. This drive has a thermostatic spring that measures the radiator discharge air temp. If temps rise above a certain point it will engage increasing the fan speed. You will usually hear a click and then you can hear the fan start spinning faster and moving more air. I would check this to make sure that it is functioning properly

WingingIt74 06-14-2013 02:25 PM

It was overheating while driving at highway speeds. Yes it is a stock fan.

Mishimoto 06-17-2013 10:28 AM

WingingIt74, we are sorry to see that you are experiencing cooling issues when using our products. If you are overheating primarily on the highways, that sounds like a water pump issue. As the engine's rpms increase, the water pump is not able to move enough water to keep the engine cooled properly, causing overheating symptoms.

Please do not hesitate to contact us via sales@mishimoto.com if you have any additional questions or concerns.

-Pat

WingingIt74 06-17-2013 01:05 PM

Pat, I wasn't blaming your radiator, sorry if I may have lead it that way. I have a feeling it's my o2 sensor and cat.

MFsoftball22 06-17-2013 01:09 PM

X2 I would look at the water pump if the vehicle is having troubles while driving. It could be a faulty t-stat but I really dont see that being the problem as it is brand new and the temp did eventually go down. It sounds like the above would be a pretty accurate statement. At least would be a place to start by looking at the water pump.

WingingIt74 06-17-2013 01:10 PM

Even with the TJ throwing those codes?

MFsoftball22 06-17-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingingIt74 (Post 3869542)
Pat, I wasn't blaming your radiator, sorry if I may have lead it that way. I have a feeling it's my o2 sensor and cat.

This isnt a bad idea either considering that you said that the CEL has been on for sometime and has code P0151 which is a problem with the O2 sensor. The excessive back pressure can cause the exhaust heat to back up into the engine. This also makes sense and would explain the loss of power. Too much back pressure can cause the engine to opperate ineffeciently just like a lack of back pressure. It might be time for a new cat and O2 sensor. But if you havent had a new water pump in awhile that might be something to look at first considering it will be a less expensive of a fix.

Problem being that it might not fix your problem, but if you replace the cat and O2 sensor and they turn out to not be the culprit then you are looking at a lot of money you could have saved.

The alternative is have someone test the cooling and exhaust system to find the culprit.

BurlySoldier 06-17-2013 01:44 PM

Did you burp the cooling system after topping it off? Alot of times you think it is filled up until you run it for awhile and all of a sudden it takes 1-2 more quarts of coolant.

RevCo666 06-17-2013 01:49 PM

OP: what brand of o2 sensor did you use when you replaced them?

Verf 06-17-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingingIt74 (Post 3858162)
My 2 codes are P051 and P0151. When I bought the jeep, less then 3000 miles ago, I replaced all the O2 sensors. Any thoughts...?

I found out the hard way, if you put Bosch O2 sensors in, the code comes back. My daughters '98 & '99 Cherokees did it. I trust Bosch completely, I've used everything from fuel pumps, sensors, etc on my performance cars and they are the best...until you put them in a Jeep product (O2's anyway). Some things, you just can't beat what the factory put in, and this is one of those cases.

Also keep in mind, the new pump could be bad out of the box, as could the t-stat. I always boil test my t-stats before putting them in cause they are a cheap component and as such, questionable quality control. 25 years ago, I'd just drop a Stant in and not think twice, they were the best. Now, I don't even trust the gas caps, I've had issues with them too.

Either way, good luck!

WingingIt74 06-22-2013 03:15 PM

Ok.. stupid me when I replaced that O2 sensor before, it didn't plug it in all the way. I have it plugged in now and my codes cleared. However, it's still overheating.

It still runs about 212-215 and then all of the sudden, it'll spike to 260 in a split second. It does this idling or going down the road at highway speeds. I'm not sure what would cause that, any ideas?

RevCo666 06-22-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingingIt74 (Post 3888972)
Ok.. stupid me when I replaced that O2 sensor before, it didn't plug it in all the way. I have it plugged in now and my codes cleared. However, it's still overheating.

It still runs about 212-215 and then all of the sudden, it'll spike to 260 in a split second. It does this idling or going down the road at highway speeds. I'm not sure what would cause that, any ideas?

Coolant flush/replacement as an alternative?

WingingIt74 06-22-2013 05:13 PM

I must be an idiot... I can do a lift, swap a rear end, rebuild a t-case.... But I didn't know I had to burp a radiator.... Never had to with my 56 Chevy.

Speaking of which, I assume you do this until the coolant stops jumping?

WingingIt74 06-23-2013 02:37 PM

Well... I think the Jeep has a blown head gasket....

RevCo666 06-23-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingingIt74 (Post 3891360)
Well... I think the Jeep has a blown head gasket....

How did you come to that determination?

WingingIt74 06-23-2013 02:52 PM

45 minutes of bleeding the radiator... the coolant still bubbles

OhSixTJ 06-23-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingingIt74 (Post 3891389)
45 minutes of bleeding the radiator... the coolant still bubbles

Does it run rough and does the exhaust smell sweet?

WingingIt74 06-23-2013 03:16 PM

No to either, but if I put the cap on it overheats again.