Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   lifted with tires. need help with axles (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/lifted-with-tires-need-help-with-axles-249215.html)

ncg11 06-13-2013 08:41 PM

lifted with tires. need help with axles
 
I'm new to the jeep scene so Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!! I just lifted my TJ 4 inches and put 33 inch Yokohama tires on. am I gonna need any work done to my axles ? I've seen around this forum and others that the transfer case might need to be lowered? what's the best route here

Mulvihill64 06-13-2013 09:24 PM

Will probably need some kind of driveline angle reduction, the best option being a slip yoke eliminator (sye) and double cardan driveshaft. This thread might help
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/

msykes 06-13-2013 09:40 PM

Agree. Sye and new driveshaft.

ncg11 06-13-2013 09:55 PM

ok thanks. there's a 2inch suspension lift Aand a 2 inch body lift about to go on. will I still need it?

msykes 06-13-2013 10:09 PM

2" suspension lift is about the max before you hit weird angles on the driveshaft and steering. After you do the suspension lift, drive it around a little and see if you get vibration. If you only get a little vibration you can install either cam bolts on the upper rear control arms to tip the pinion angle up a little or you can go with more reliable rear upper control arms. 2" - 4" of lift won't typically be a problem on the front because the driveshaft is much longer and can handle the slightly steeper difference in angle.

Truthfully I hate body lifts, you have to cut metal for some of them, I prefer suspension lifts. Be careful with the body lift, you could pinch hoses and/or wires when you do that.

Enjoy!

msykes 06-13-2013 10:10 PM

Oh, and if you use the cam bolts or uppers you most likely will not need to get a sye

msykes 06-13-2013 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine

Mulvihill64 06-14-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncg11 (Post 3858869)
ok thanks. there's a 2inch suspension lift Aand a 2 inch body lift about to go on. will I still need it?

If you haven't bought it already I would recommend a 1.25 inch body lift instead. Also, if you do that you can install a 1 inch motor mount lift and that will help with your driveline angles.

All Terrain JK 06-14-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msykes (Post 3858920)
2" suspension lift is about the max before you hit weird angles on the driveshaft and steering. After you do the suspension lift, drive it around a little and see if you get vibration. If you only get a little vibration you can install either cam bolts on the upper rear control arms to tip the pinion angle up a little or you can go with more reliable rear upper control arms. 2" - 4" of lift won't typically be a problem on the front because the driveshaft is much longer and can handle the slightly steeper difference in angle.

Truthfully I hate body lifts, you have to cut metal for some of them, I prefer suspension lifts. Be careful with the body lift, you could pinch hoses and/or wires when you do that.

Enjoy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by msykes (Post 3858922)
Oh, and if you use the cam bolts or uppers you most likely will not need to get a sye

I have only seen cam bolts for the front lower control arms and those only move the axle a small amount.
The adjustable upper rear CAs are to set pinion angle after installing an SYE. Read the link and post any questions.

All Terrain JK 06-14-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncg11 (Post 3858591)
I'm new to the jeep scene so Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!! I just lifted my TJ 4 inches and put 33 inch Yokohama tires on. am I gonna need any work done to my axles ? I've seen around this forum and others that the transfer case might need to be lowered? what's the best route here

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncg11 (Post 3858869)
ok thanks. there's a 2inch suspension lift Aand a 2 inch body lift about to go on. will I still need it?

Your post kinda confused me for a minute. In the first I understood 4" of lift to be suspension lift.
The body lift will not affect the drive line angles at all. Have you driven it to see if any vibrations exist?

ncg11 06-14-2013 02:57 PM

sorry lol 4 inches total 2 suspension 2 body. it seems to have vibration only when I first take off. but then it goes away

msykes 06-14-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncg11
sorry lol 4 inches total 2 suspension 2 body. it seems to have vibration only when I first take off. but then it goes away

Yeah, that's because the driveline is shifted a little with the lift AND I'm betting you probably have some worn out rubber bushings in the rear control arms. That would allow the axle to move a little bit and the u joints will setup weird harmonics when you take off; It probably does it under load too (accelerating) but you haven't noticed.

If you replace the bushings and the vibration is still there, try these out;
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_420.htm

Basically you drill an oval hole in the upper control arm mount and then you use the cams to tip the pinion a couple of degrees. You should not need to max out the cams you only have 2" of lift with the standard driveshaft. The goal is to match the u joint angle with the rear u joint angle; ie if you have ~10* of angle at the transfer case, you want ~10* at the pinion. If you have questions, the tech guys at Quadratec are very helpful.

Be warned, once you drill to install these, you'll always need those type of bolts (actually the disk on the outside) unless you get someone to weld the hole or make a new upper control arm bracket. Adjustable upper control arms are nice, definitely overkill here, but there is no precise drilling required and you can always go back to stock.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.