Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Looking to relocate license plate and 3rd brake light to spare (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/looking-to-relocate-license-plate-and-3rd-brake-light-to-spare-249254.html)

Barmanvarn 06-13-2013 11:20 PM

Looking to relocate license plate and 3rd brake light to spare
 
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the TF hinged tired carrier kit and figured while I'm at it, it would be nice to relocate my 3rd brake light and my license plate to the spare.

I've seen solutions for relocation both license plate and 3rd brake light, but I'm not seeing anything that works well for both at the same time.

It's possible my Google and forum search skills are failing me this evening.

Anyone have any suggestions to how to pull this off? I'll also add that I want to stay legal meaning my 3rd bake light needs to stay above the rear brake lights and the license plate needs to have a light over it.

thanks

Barmanvarn 06-13-2013 11:23 PM

Of course, I find something like this right after I post.

LED License Plate Light with Extension | Poison Spyder Customs

Anyone run this? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

mountainneer 06-13-2013 11:34 PM

I have a brand new Warrior Products Spare Tire License Plate Mount
Manufacturer Part No:2370. It comes with an LED plate light. I paid over $85. I will sell it for $65 plus shipping. PM me interested.

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 12:10 PM

Thanks for the info Mountain....still doing some research before I pull the trigger. Will PM you if I decide on this and if you still have it at them time, we'll work out the details.

thanks sir

EDIT: did some quick research and found this similar product
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12526_1031_07.htm

I like it as I want to go w/ something that will incorporate both license plate and 3rd brake light.

Will continue searching to see what all I can find.

tabber02 06-17-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3859159)
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the TF hinged tired carrier kit and figured while I'm at it, it would be nice to relocate my 3rd brake light and my license plate to the spare.

I've seen solutions for relocation both license plate and 3rd brake light, but I'm not seeing anything that works well for both at the same time.

It's possible my Google and forum search skills are failing me this evening.

Anyone have any suggestions to how to pull this off? I'll also add that I want to stay legal meaning my 3rd bake light needs to stay above the rear brake lights and the license plate needs to have a light over it.

thanks

the TF HD hinge and tire carrier come with a license plate relocation... :thumb: save your money

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 3869403)
the TF HD hinge and tire carrier come with a license plate relocation... :thumb: save your money

Wha?! How many times have I watched the install video and never noticed that? Guess I need to watch for again. :banghead:

All I remembered seeing was the "mod" that requires cutting the factory 3rd brake like to mount it to the new carrier.

EDIT: Ok, I watched the video again.....but I see a potential issue. The license relocation bracket has no light for the license plate. I believe these are required by law, correct?

tabber02 06-17-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3869419)
Wha?! How many times have I watched the install video and never noticed that? Guess I need to watch for again. :banghead:

All I remembered seeing was the "mod" that requires cutting the factory 3rd brake like to mount it to the new carrier.

EDIT: Ok, I watched the video again.....but I see a potential issue. The license relocation bracket has no light for the license plate. I believe these are required by law, correct?

yeah... but...

1. i drilled three holes in the bottom of my brake light to get a little extra light on the plate when my foots on the brake
2. all license plates glow when hit with light these days
3. most LEOs are going to leave you alone unless you're driving like an idiot...

BLUF - i haven't had any trouble at all. :D

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 3869434)
yeah... but...

1. i drilled three holes in the bottom of my brake light to get a little extra light on the plate when my foots on the brake
2. all license plates glow when hit with light these days
3. most LEOs are going to leave you alone unless you're driving like an idiot...

BLUF - i haven't had any trouble at all. :D

Good points, but in this case, I'm the type that likes to do it as correctly (legal) as possible.

I've seen aftermarket 3rd brake lights that shine white light out the bottom for the license plate. I know my jet ski trailer has something like that. I may be able to just pick up an oval 3rd brake light housing like that and use it w/ the TF mounting bracket.

This would also keep me from having to cut my factory 3rd light mount so that I can return to stock if ever needed.

I'll keep you posted as to what I come up with.

Beastmaster 06-17-2013 12:42 PM

I have the one from Warrior Producrt bought from Q-tech

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1369099652

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmaster (Post 3869461)
I have the one from Warrior Producrt bought from Q-tech

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1369099652

That's the best I've found so far (until I realized the TF kit came w/ a bracket). I think if I can find a 3rd brake light that has a license plate light below it (inside the same housing) I can save a few buck from not having to buy a different bracket.

bengen1 06-17-2013 02:26 PM

I went with this one
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12066_908.htm

Edit. Here is just the light harness
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13107_41X_PG.htm

Simonmedisch 06-17-2013 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought this frame on amazon, less than $20 has brake and an plate light.
Amazon.com: Custom Accessories 92595 Lighted License Plate Frame with Brake Light: Automotive

Just painted it black. Mounted with zip ties for now.

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 03:11 PM

How/where does the 3rd brake light mount? Do you have pic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonmedisch (Post 3869840)
I just bought this frame on amazon, less than $20 has brake and an plate light.
Amazon.com: Custom Accessories 92595 Lighted License Plate Frame with Brake Light: Automotive

Just painted it black. Mounted with zip ties for now.

That's not bad either. thanks for the info.

bengen1 06-17-2013 03:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That light mounts to the bracket

Attachment 262657

Then I ran through carrier, in bumper and tapped into driver side brake light


Attachment 262659

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengen1 (Post 3869953)
That light mounts to the bracket

Attachment 262657

Then I ran through carrier, in bumper and tapped into driver side brake light


Attachment 262659

Yeah, but where does the 3rd brake light mount? Sorry if I'm not following along correctly :)

bengen1 06-17-2013 03:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3869965)

Yeah, but where does the 3rd brake light mount? Sorry if I'm not following along correctly :)


That little black box has 3 red leds for brake light and 3 white leds underneath for license plate.

That all mounts to the full bracket which is the first link I sent that includes everything


Attachment 262666



Attachment 262667



Attachment 262665

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengen1 (Post 3870026)
That little black box has 3 red leds for brake light and 3 white leds underneath for license plate.

That all mounts to the full bracket which is the first link I sent that includes everything

Ah, ok. I'm an idiot (nothing new there) :)

Didn't realize the "light box" contained both the license plate AND the brake lights. I like that compact solution.

I think I recall seeing something like that during my searching and someone (maybe) said something about the brake LEDs not being very bright? What's your impression of the light intensity on this thing?

I do like the harness as I could just mount it to the bracket that comes w/ the TF carrier.

Final question, did you wire up the license plate light using the power from the factory light?

EDIT: Another question I just though of (I'm on a roll)....how are you guys covering up the holes left behind by the factory license plate bracket?

thanks

bengen1 06-17-2013 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3870053)

Ah, ok. I'm an idiot (nothing new there) :)

Didn't realize the "light box" contained both the license plate AND the brake lights. I like that compact solution.

I think I recall seeing something like that during my searching and someone (maybe) said something about the brake LEDs not being very bright? What's your impression of the light intensity on this thing?

I do like the harness as I could just mount it to the bracket that comes w/ the TF carrier.

Final question, did you wire up the license plate light using the power from the factory light?

thanks

I used the harness from the stock 3rd brake light to wire up a 4th brake light being I had this led strip left over from motorcycle mods I did...I ran the wires down the sill and added quick discos for if I ever removed hardtop


Attachment 262672


I tapped into the driver side rear brake light for the relocation bracket The 3 leds are bright at night...and are visible at day ..but I just figured I'd add a 4th light for S&Gs
I don't have any pics of them lit up

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengen1 (Post 3870126)
I tapped into the driver side rear brake light for the relocation bracket The 3 leds are bright at night...and are visible at day ..but I just figured I'd add a 4th light for S&Gs
I don't have any pics of them lit up

Just clarifying...you tapped into the driver's (or did you mean passenger) side rear brake for both the brake like AND the license plate light?

bengen1 06-17-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3870157)

Just clarifying...you tapped into the driver's (or did you mean passenger) side rear brake for both the brake like AND the license plate light?

I did drivers side plus used stock license light harness to tap into being its located there as well. I think instructions say to use harness from stock 3rd brake light to wire up everything but I already had that routed to tub and didn't want to use same harness twice

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengen1 (Post 3870332)

I did drivers side plus used stock license light harness to tap into being its located there as well. I think instructions say to use harness from stock 3rd brake light to wire up everything but I already had that routed to tub and didn't want to use same harness twice

Gotcha. Are you planning to plug the hole from the factory bracket? What solution did you come up with for that?

okcscott 06-17-2013 05:53 PM

Is this the hole you're talking about
Jeep JK Rear License Plate Delete Cover | Poison Spyder Customs

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcscott (Post 3870409)

Yup!

Thanks! :thumb:

bengen1 06-17-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3870364)

Gotcha. Are you planning to plug the hole from the factory bracket? What solution did you come up with for that?

I used this
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=230849282376

bengen1 06-17-2013 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 262726

Barmanvarn 06-17-2013 05:57 PM

Good to know there are options. If I were handy id live to fab up a cover and paint it so you can't tell it was ever there.

Simonmedisch 06-17-2013 07:45 PM

The stock third brake light hook up only lights up when you step on the brake you have to run a other wire to do the plate light. I ran mine through the stock wiring loom to the passenger brake light.

Barmanvarn 09-14-2013 08:57 PM

I'm back. :wavey:

Got the TF carrier and mount installed along with the LED plate relocation bracket.

Odd thing: the 3rd brake light works perfectly except when I'm in reverse. Did the 3rd light always work like this?

I'm fine with how its working, just curious.

RubiChick 01-04-2014 05:10 PM

I just ordered the Warrior 2370 license plate bracket. Should I tap in to the 3rd brake light? My question is I only want it lit when I have the taillights on not when I'm pressing on the brakes. Can someone give me an insight as to which wire to use to accomplish what Im trying to do. Thanks!

8052949 01-04-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubiChick (Post 7191826)
I just ordered the Warrior 2370 license plate bracket. Should I tap in to the 3rd brake light? My question is I only want it lit when I have the taillights on not when I'm pressing on the brakes. Can someone give me an insight as to which wire to use to accomplish what Im trying to do. Thanks!

In order to get the plate light to work correctly you just need to take the exiting wire from the plate light and rerun the wire. It's easy to do just takes a little time. I think I relocated my in just over a hour.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.