Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Guaging interest in a stainless steel TJ frame from Delorean Motor Company (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/guaging-interest-in-a-stainless-steel-tj-frame-from-delorean-motor-company-249380.html)

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 07:36 PM

Guaging interest in a stainless steel TJ frame from Delorean Motor Company

For chits and giggles I just sent an inquiry to Delorean motor company suggesting they might use there expertise with stainless steel to make a TJ frame.

I am loling right now but, hey, you never know.

Chime in here of you would like to show them that you might be interested in what they can come up with.

Cheers, mike

blueskiesbill 06-14-2013 07:44 PM

Would that come with the signature Delorean doors?!!!

O_M_Jeep 06-14-2013 07:52 PM

I would think it would be pretty heavy, I looked up "stainless steel vs steel weight" and I certainly don't say this is absolutely accurate, this is the concise answer.

Quote:

Using about 8.03/7.84 ratio of density, for the same volume of material the stainless will weigh 2.4 % more.

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep (Post 3861583)
I would think it would be pretty heavy, I looked up "stainless steel vs steel weight" and I certainly don't say this is absolutely accurate, this is the concise answer.

If your going to add weight, the frame is a perfect place to do it.

Jerry Bransford 06-14-2013 07:56 PM

Stainless is typically not as strong as regular steel is, that would be a point of concern.

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3861599)
Stainless is typically not as strong as regular steel is, that would be a point of concern.

"Typically". Depends both on the stainless and regular steel you are comparing. I would venture a guess that TJ frame steel is not of the highest quality. Also, any deficit could be certainly overcome by a number of means.

Jerry Bransford 06-14-2013 08:15 PM

You're confusing quality with the various available characteristics of steel. Quality does not necessarily indicate more or less strength. The OE frame is made from a very high quality steel & the specific steel chosen was selected as a balance of strength & flexibility so the frame can flex a tad. Automotive manufacturers do not use low quality steels, they use the steels that have the proper characteristics for the task at hand.

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 08:21 PM

One task is that they should last. And they fail at that task. You don't have the problem that rustbelt jeepers do. I get it, you have no interest.

s14sh3r 06-14-2013 08:23 PM

There are lots of different kinds of stainless steels. You can bet your ass it would be expensive.

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3861642)
You're confusing quality with the various available characteristics of steel. Quality does not necessarily indicate more or less strength. .

In this context, quality means longevity while still living up to its purpose. I am not confused.

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14sh3r (Post 3861671)
There are lots of different kinds of stainless steels. You can bet your ass it would be expensive.

Yup

RevCo666 06-14-2013 08:26 PM

Here's some extra info on steel which apply to the thread at hand:

Steel material properties - Steelconstruction.info

toolmantim 06-14-2013 08:28 PM

Stainless steel is great for forks, spoons and aeronautical applications, otherwise it pretty much sucks.

Seriously.

Do you think the navy wants to paint ships all the time?? Maybe it's possible that carbon steel is easily the best choice.

Jerry Bransford 06-14-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00silverTJ (Post 3861663)
One task is that they should last. And they fail at that task. You don't have the problem that rustbelt jeepers do. I get it, you have no interest.

What you don't get is that even the very best quality of steel will rust & be consumed in rust belt areas if it's left to rust without care. It's not a quality thing at all, and you can have cheap quality stainless steel too... just look at most of the junk that China passes off as "stainless steel" which eventually rusts.

What you also don't get is that stainless steel is simply not as strong as standard steel is. If stainless steel would make such a great frame, why didn't the Delorean car with stainless steel body come with a stainless steel frame? Nope, not even the Delorean's frame was made from stainless steel, it was made from epoxy coated conventional steel.

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 08:42 PM

What you don' get is quality is not one thing. Quality depends on an intended use. If I need a frame that stands up to salty roads, ANYTHING that will rust is poor quality for my requirements.

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3861700)
What you don't get is that even the very best quality of steel will rust & be consumed in rust belt areas if it's left to rust without care. It's not a quality thing at all, and you can have cheap quality stainless steel too... just look at most of the junk that China passes off as "stainless steel" which eventually rusts.

What you also don't get is that stainless steel is simply not as strong as standard steel is. If stainless steel would make such a great frame, why didn't the Delorean car with stainless steel body come with a stainless steel frame? Nope, not even the Delorean's frame was made from stainless steel, it was made from epoxy coated conventional steel.

And i am pretty sure that Delorean moved from composite from to stainless steel frames before they were done

Jerry Bransford 06-14-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00silverTJ (Post 3861730)
What you don' get is quality is not one thing. Quality depends on an intended use. If I need a frame that stands up to salty roads, ANYTHING that will rust is poor quality for my requirements.

You're still confusing or not getting the quality term... the very best quality steel can rust in those conditions. The very best quality ice cream will melt if it gets too warm. Quality has NOTHING (!!!) to do with your rust issue. Going to the world's best quality steel will not prevent rust, so don't blame your rusting frame on "low quality" steel.

High quality stainless steel will not rust, low quality stainless steel will rust. High quality stainless steel is not as strong as steel, pound for pound. Which between that and the higher cost of stainless steel is why even the world's finest automotive manufacturers don't use stainless steel to make their frames out of. They use various grades of steels, some exotics use aluminum, some have even gone to composites... but I know of none that use stainless steel to make their frames out of. Do you? Once again, not even Delorean used stainless steel for their Delorean car frames.

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3861758)
You're still confusing or not getting the quality term... the very best quality steel can rust in those conditions. The very best quality ice cream will melt if it gets too warm. Quality has NOTHING (!!!) to do with your rust issue. Going to the world's best quality steel will not prevent rust, so don't blame your rusting frame on "low quality" steel.

High quality stainless steel will not rust, low quality stainless steel will rust. High quality stainless steel is not as strong as steel, pound for pound. Which between that and the higher cost of stainless steel is why even the world's finest automotive manufacturers don't use stainless steel to make their frames out of. They use various grades of steels, some exotics use aluminum, some have even gone to composites... but I know of none that use stainless steel to make their frames out of. Do you? Once again, not even Delorean used stainless steel for their Delorean car frames.

I am thinking that you could probably use some quality time with someone, somewhere, doing something fun, Jerry

00silverTJ 06-14-2013 09:05 PM

Oh. And I remember recommending a book to you, quit a while ago. It was "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". Reading that is quality time and I recommend it to you, again.

Cheers, mike

Jerry Bransford 06-14-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00silverTJ (Post 3861783)
I am thinking that you could probably use some quality time with someone, somewhere, doing something fun, Jerry

And I am thinking you offer un-asked for personal advice when not appreciated or needed & that you give your advice more credit than it deserves. Getting into a technical discussion is one thing, getting personal is quite another.

O_M_Jeep 06-14-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3861816)
And I am thinking you offer un-asked for personal advice when not appreciated or needed & that you give your advice more credit than it deserves.

Mr.Pot, have you met Mr.Kettle?

UnlimitedRubicon 06-14-2013 09:20 PM

General interest in a stainless steel frame? Low.
General interest in paying the high cost for a stainless steel frame? Infinitesimal.

wranglerbob1 06-14-2013 09:39 PM

Frame would cost more than jeep. I still think jeep should fix there crap design.

Wesboy 06-14-2013 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:thumb:

Attachment 261565

KaiserJeep 06-15-2013 04:43 AM

We already have an answer for you rust belt guys. Throttle Down Kustoms makes the hot dip galvanized Jeep frame, coated with zinc inside and outside.

http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.a...fK&w=400&h=400

Only $2,437.99. Probably half the cost of stainless steel. Available for '76 to '86 CJ-7's (very close to TJ dimensions). Can be set up to accept any TJ suspension as an option. If we could get them to move the tub mounts to the TJ positions, it would be a bolt-on swap.

Kilroy 06-15-2013 06:31 AM

The Delorean is a fiberglass body with a thin stainless steel overlay. ...just for looks.

Black Magic Brakes 06-15-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiserJeep (Post 3862761)
We already have an answer for you rust belt guys. Throttle Down Kustoms makes the hot dip galvanized Jeep frame, coated with zinc inside and outside.

Only $2,437.99. Probably half the cost of stainless steel. Available for '76 to '86 CJ-7's (very close to TJ dimensions). Can be set up to accept any TJ suspension as an option. If we could get them to move the tub mounts to the TJ positions, it would be a bolt-on swap.

They will need to do something about the wheel arches before that works very well for a TJ. Even the YJ frame is deficient in that area so I think it is going to take moving around more than tub mounts.

Last I checked though, OEM frames were available and it wouldn't be cost prohibitive to get one dipped.

CountryBoyJeep 06-15-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesboy (Post 3862002)

I think I'd trade my jeep for that if it was made 4wd and had some kick in its step (power)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiserJeep (Post 3862761)

Tj's have arches at the wheel wells :whistling: wouldn't buy it for mine unless it was exact specs, very close isn't good enough. They should line-x the inside of the frame and possibly the outside, also adding reinforced drain holes.

Jaxon1023 06-15-2013 04:17 PM

I sure am glad I live in the south lol

Tomdata 06-15-2013 04:27 PM

Tube chassis with integrated roll cage.. Powdercoated , balanced and blue printed.