Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Smoking break and RPM drop? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/smoking-break-and-rpm-drop-249434.html)

DetroitRodeo 06-14-2013 11:05 PM

Smoking break and RPM drop?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I'm the furthest from a car guy that you'd find, but am learning everyday. Please be patient with me as i try to explain in elementary terms. Need some input, opinions, help...whatever you can offer on my current situation. Yesterday as I was driving home, I noticed smoke coming from my jeep. I pulled over and saw the smoke was coming from my drivers side tire (like where the break is). I attached a picture because I can't explain it well. The picture is about 10 minutes after I had stopped, the smoke was a lot thicker than pictured and could be seen while driving. It appeared there was some sort of "tar" that was smoking and had dripped onto my tire, can see in pic. Then as I was proceeding home (slowly) the jeep wanted to go left and I had to turn and hold the wheel to the right to remain straight (this stopped after about 5-10 minutes). In addition to this, my Jeep didn't want to go past 40mph and my RPM's would drop all the way down and I'd have to put the pedal to the floor to pickup/maintain speed.

Sorry for the crappy explanation, and general ignorance about the mechanics of our jeeps or any car for that matter.

Tyr4nt 06-14-2013 11:14 PM

Was the E-brake left on?

DetroitRodeo 06-14-2013 11:29 PM

No sir, was one of the first things I checked out...

Jordo 06-14-2013 11:35 PM

My best bet would be a sticky calliper. Has happened to me a couple times. I always change them myself but if you aren't comfortable a shop should be able to do it fairly cheaply. Calliper is 60-70 bucks and about the same for labour. They might recommend changing them as a pair though just because when one goes the other (usually) isn't far behind. Depending how long the brakes were "stuck on" you might just want to replace pads and rotors as well

RevCo666 06-14-2013 11:44 PM

OP: did you panic break recently? I did once last year and found the rear drum needed to be sanded down by hand and that seemed to fix that issue which might be similar to your issue. Just a guess...

AdamLC 06-15-2013 02:04 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but pictured is drivers front tire. E brake or drums wouldn't come into play. I would agree that you have a stuck caliper. When I have had that happen to me I just change both because (for me) the other caliper wasn't far behind from failing. New pads and check your rotors as well.
Have also had deteriorating rubber brake lines cause problems with brake fluid flowing back to the master cylinder. That would be last thing to look at.

jeepers29 06-15-2013 05:34 AM

I agree, start with the caliper. I would be surprized if you did not nee a new rotor as well.

wolfen 06-15-2013 06:55 AM

that's a stuck Caliper, I've had a few of those in my life, either rebuild or replace the calipers ( I've always been told replace both at the same time ) and make sure the rotor isn't warped, check the brakes for any glazing and look around for any other damage

DetroitRodeo 06-15-2013 09:20 AM

Thanks all, might be the time to just upgrade the entire brake system for the 35's. I bought the jeep with the tires and I doubt they upgraded the breaks....so what about the RPM drop and have inch to floor it to maintain/increase speed...related issue?

DetroitRodeo 06-15-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3862462)
OP: did you panic break recently? I did once last year and found the rear drum needed to be sanded down by hand and that seemed to fix that issue which might be similar to your issue. Just a guess...

Hey Rev, I haven't. I have taken off road a couple times in the last month out oohing major. Some water/mud (mid to upper tire depth), and light trails...thought I did something there, but that shouldn't do it to a Jeep

DaveCR 06-15-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo (Post 3863092)
Thanks all, might be the time to just upgrade the entire brake system for the 35's. I bought the jeep with the tires and I doubt they upgraded the breaks....so what about the RPM drop and have inch to floor it to maintain/increase speed...related issue?

The stocked caliper will brake your tire... That's why your wheel was trying to turn that way.. If the jeep was braking you would end up needed more gas to move? Just a thought?

sandfox4 06-15-2013 10:25 AM

i had same issue, it was the rubber hoses going to the calipers, i couldnt accelerate past 40, and if you took your foot off the gas it would stop very fast

Water Dog 06-15-2013 10:26 AM

I agree with the others...definitely a stuck caliper. I not only would change it out, but also replace your brake hoses if your Jeep has a lot of miles on it. Brake hoses can deteriorate internally after years of use and act almost like a check valve in that they plug and do not allow the brake fluid to recede from the caliper. Cheap insurance...:thumb:

brendend 06-15-2013 10:30 AM

Dont forget to replace pads and rotor. Theyre going to be glassed as hell and possibly warped due to the constant heat

DetroitRodeo 06-21-2013 07:34 PM

Thanks all! Finally had the time to get the jeep jacked up and the wheel off. You all hit the nail in the head. My caliper was shot, break was a mess and rotor was black.... I just put in my order for the Vanco 16" big break kit. Hear the kits are amazing and figured now was as good as time as any to do the upgrade.