Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   I think I need new tires?! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/i-think-i-need-new-tires-249446.html)

tylertyler 06-15-2013 01:00 AM

I think I need new tires?!
 
1 Attachment(s)
So this is what the tread on all my tires looks like yet my dad (who technically owns the JK I drive) won't let me buy new tires even though I would be using my own money. I need some advice on whether or not I need new tires and how the hell I can convince my dad.Attachment 261621

kjeeper10 06-15-2013 04:10 AM

Look for a nice set of takeoffs. The upgraded sport or Sahara tires and wheels can be found cheap on the forums. Real cheap just for the tires.

Rtone1583 06-15-2013 05:23 AM

Does he have some kind of emotional attachment to the tires or does he just want to see how a Jeep runs on slicks?

JerryJeepster 06-15-2013 07:04 AM

Christmas Story.... Flat tire side of road scene!

Ivoryring 06-15-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryJeepster (Post 3862861)
Christmas Story.... Flat tire side of road scene!

Oh Ffffuuudge!

jadmt 06-15-2013 08:06 AM

if it is just a short distance daily driver I doubt you will have problems. the tire industry does say if the tread touches lincolns head you are close. how do they look at the wear bars? give a shot actually showing the tread.

mgola27 06-15-2013 08:18 AM

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind why Dad won't let you get new tires.

They are certainly close to being past useful life. Could get sketchy in the rain, and useless in the snow.

michiganadam 06-15-2013 08:29 AM

What tires are those? It only cost me 1400 to get 33s. Duratrac 33x12.5 on 15 inch rims, including price of rims.

I have a set of 5 good year wrangler st for cheap. 1000 miles on them. Mounted on 16 inch factory steelies with center caps, asking 400. Those tires cost me 120 a piece soooo.

By the way, look for the wear bars on those tires. They are about 2/32 off from no tread at all. I guarantee youre probably at the wear bars. If you are, the tires are unsafe to use. Also, they make break belts and become unusable at that level of wear.

2/32 is also the minimum legally required by federal law in the us. And they require 4/32 on bigrig front tires. If its not safe for a front tire with 6000lb weight on it, its not safe on anything in my opinion.

M_GOD22 06-15-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3863008)
What tires are those? It only cost me 1400 to get 33s. Duratrac 33x12.5 on 15 inch rims, including price of rims.


Michiganadam,
In reference to the duratrac 33x12.5's you said you recently got, how are you liking those? I'm thinking about getting the same pair.
Would it be possible for you to post some pics from a couple different angles?

Thanks,
Matt

4DoorCrush 06-15-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylertyler (Post 3862580)
So this is what the tread on all my tires looks like yet my dad (who technically owns the JK I drive) won't let me buy new tires even though I would be using my own money. I need some advice on whether or not I need new tires and how the hell I can convince my dad.

He won't let you???

SETI1x 06-15-2013 10:41 AM

Time to buy your own Jeep.

NFRs2000NYC 06-15-2013 10:46 AM

You are borderline, but they still have some life left for on road use. Offroad they wouldn't be much good. If they are mud terrains, I wouldn't want to drive with them in heavy rain with any meaningful speed. Maybe you can convince your dad that it's a safety issue.

kjeeper10 06-15-2013 11:25 AM

Iirc tires have a 6 year life span. Now I'm not sure if this is tire manufactures way to get you to buy new tires or not :confused:

Safety my friend. Last thing you want to happen is a tire to blow out on the free way.

st1264 06-15-2013 12:14 PM

I think you have a little bit left for the street... but start looking for new tires because you do need them very soon. It would help if you say what size/brand you have, might be able to get take-offs for cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3863008)
What tires are those? It only cost me 1400 to get 33s. Duratrac 33x12.5 on 15 inch rims, including price of rims.

Where did you get that package for that cheap? I want around the stock size AT tires with aftermarket 17" wheels though...

redbilly 06-15-2013 12:24 PM

Is your father concerned about you purchasing mud tires and taking his JK off-roading? It seems a bit peculiar that he would not let you purchase tires for vehicle you have been driving. Sounds like you are trying to be responsible to me.

Pick three different tire styles that you like. Weigh the pros and cons of each on spreadsheet for your dad. Then ask him to help you pick the best ones to replace the worn tires on your JK. Make him part of decision.

msykes 06-15-2013 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylertyler
So this is what the tread on all my tires looks like yet my dad (who technically owns the JK I drive) won't let me buy new tires even though I would be using my own money. I need some advice on whether or not I need new tires and how the hell I can convince my dad.

If its at Lincoln's head, new tires very soon.

I have a tj that's a daily driver but I dressed it up anyway with general grabber at2's @ 285/75/16's for $190ea + $15 install/balance = $205 from Goodyear. Ford sells them same price but charges $25 for install and balance.

michiganadam 06-15-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_GOD22 (Post 3863231)
Michiganadam,
In reference to the duratrac 33x12.5's you said you recently got, how are you liking those? I'm thinking about getting the same pair.
Would it be possible for you to post some pics from a couple different angles?

Thanks,
Matt

I love them, will post pics today. They work great in the sand and dirt but havent had them in real mud yet. They lockup a little easy if you slam the brakes on the street, compared to wrangler sts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3863502)
I think you have a little bit left for the street... but start looking for new tires because you do need them very soon. It would help if you say what size/brand you have, might be able to get take-offs for cheap.



Where did you get that package for that cheap? I want around the stock size AT tires with aftermarket 17" wheels though...

i got them that cheap because i got 15s instead of 17s. Had to grind my calipers though. Cragar 15x8 soft 8s without center caps with 4" backspace, 5x5 bolt pattern from summit racing. Goodyear wrangler duratracs 33x12.5-15lt from discount tire. 17s cost waaaay more for no apparent reason. Probably not much demand for 15s lol

NFRs2000NYC 06-15-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3863408)
Iirc tires have a 6 year life span. Now I'm not sure if this is tire manufactures way to get you to buy new tires or not :confused:

Safety my friend. Last thing you want to happen is a tire to blow out on the free way.

Its depends on the years. Tires can never be driven on, and just dry rot to hell. 6 years is usually the compound shelf life. Obviously if you keep tires in your humidified wine cellar, they would last longer, and if you keep them out in the sun in Vegas, they will last less. Dry rot on large profile tires like a on a Wrangler can be a serious thing since the tire can literally disintegrate while driving. You can look on the sidewall, and if you see the "fibers" or cracks on the sidewall, you will know that your tire has dry-rotted beyond OEM specs. I have seen tires peel themselves apart (usually NYC cabs keep tires on forever) and thats thanks to dry rot. I always look at the manufacturing date on the tire to make sure Im getting fresh ones, not ones that have been sitting on shelves for the last half a decade.

mgola27 06-15-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3864427)

Its depends on the years. Tires can never be driven on, and just dry rot to hell. 6 years is usually the compound shelf life. Obviously if you keep tires in your humidified wine cellar, they would last longer, and if you keep them out in the sun in Vegas, they will last less. Dry rot on large profile tires like a on a Wrangler can be a serious thing since the tire can literally disintegrate while driving. You can look on the sidewall, and if you see the "fibers" or cracks on the sidewall, you will know that your tire has dry-rotted beyond OEM specs. I have seen tires peel themselves apart (usually NYC cabs keep tires on forever) and thats thanks to dry rot. I always look at the manufacturing date on the tire to make sure Im getting fresh ones, not ones that have been sitting on shelves for the last half a decade.

That's a good bit of advice. Where would you find manufacture date?

Thanks.

NFRs2000NYC 06-15-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgola27 (Post 3864618)
That's a good bit of advice. Where would you find manufacture date?

Thanks.

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

;)

mgola27 06-16-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3864791)

0212 (January 2012) for my Firestones installed in July 2012.

Cool. Thanks!

NFRs2000NYC 06-16-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgola27 (Post 3866213)

0212 (January 2012) for my Firestones installed in July 2012.

Cool. Thanks!

Sweet!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.